Thread: My gypsy's octave and mandocello

My two Gypsy's instruments arrived a few days ago and I haven't had time to post about it until now. I posted pictures that Walt sent me of these on the Pictures board, and don't have any new ones yet, but I will probably take some and update this thread with them later.

One instrument is an octave mandolin with 20" scale, sitka and maple. The other is a mandocello (the first he's completed), 24.5" scale with sitka and cocobolo. Both have binding but no pickguard, and both were specially made with the frets extending all the way to fret 24 on all strings (and a custom dot pattern that I get on all my instruments).

They sound wonderful. Both are loud, as expected, but surprisingly they are even louder up the neck and the tone stays very good all the way up to fret 24. The playability is good despite fairly high action (on the mandocello at least). I am very happy with them, and the only complaint I have so far is that the C strings on the mandocello are too loose and get kindof a rattly sound if I play them too hard--I need to find a heavier gauge string than the D'Addario set comes with to see if it corrects this problem. The space between the C strings is also bigger than with the other strings, which means that with the high action the strings tend to split if you go too high up the fretboard on the C strings...but hopefully that problem, too, is solvable. But I am very happy overall, they sound even better than I expected.

I play a Larson mandocello and I don't like the D'addario strings. I first used Thomastik, but they are expensive...you might try LaBellas. They are not and I like them alot! Also, some mandocellos just do better with a single C; I used to do that,but now use both. But I bet a different string and a little adjustment will help. LaBellas are smaller and I think flatwound. Try them--I know JustStrings carries them; not sure who else. The others will be spares--believe it or not, occasionally an A will break! Love to hear your Gypsy cello sometime--I'm hoping to get their 10 string mandolin sometime.
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life--music and cats" Albert Schweitzer

I had an Ovation Mandocello and it had the same wide-spacing on the low strings. I assumed that all Mandocellos were like that.

I forgot to mention, I also have a set of Dogal mandocello strings I'm going to try. I thought about doing the single C string thing and I may try pulling one off and seeing how it works before changing sets. Would definitely make the Bach easier.

Ah, The Beatles. Is that Get Bach, or Bach in the USSR?

Alex: What brand Mandocello is it and where did you purchase it? thanks.
    Dan Benson

Blog Entries

Dan, they are Gypsy Music brand OM and mandocello.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +