Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213

Thread: Harwood mandolins and guitars

Default Re: Harwood mandolins and guitars

Hi all,

Last night I pulled my Harwood (Oct. 1886) mandolin out of the case and noticed broken strings. I removed the tailpiece cover and my heart sunk.

The base plate (the part attached with three screws to the end) has two broken tabs where the strings hook. I was able to retrieve one tab, but cannot find the other.

My question is: is it possible to fix the tailpiece base part that will allow continued use of the original parts?

I would guess this occurred due to some sort of fatigue and it’s age. Either way, I am hoping there’s light at the end of the tunnel to bring this mandolin back to life.

Examining the broken tabs, the base plate appears to be brass. If I seek a base plate that is period correct, it would not include the original stamped date. With the age of this mandolin (136 years old), would it be possible to repair the broken tabs?

I am seeking insights or recommendations from this community. Hopefully this mandolin can make music once again.

Thank you!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A74B7337-C299-43E2-945C-DCEC51E3254E.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	530.0 KB 
ID:	202181

I wonder if you can cut a small piece of brass that you can glue or screw into the wood. I don't know how to draw one but.....______| then the hook on top of the vertical line. Good luck..

You might cut new tabs where they are missing- they don't need to be very big- just long enough to hold the loop

The Oct '86 is just the patent date stamped onto the tailpiece, so there would have been a lot of these around - it's possible you could run across a direct replacement.

I'm not recommending this (I jury rig my own stuff) but I'd just get a narrow strip of steel and crimp it with some pliers in a flat S configuration, loosen the right screw and slide one end up into the slot and hook the loop under the other end.

The answer is yes, and there are several ways to do it, either yourself or with help. Since its covered, if it looks a little different, you might not mind.
    If you live near a jeweler who does repairs….not all of them do, and ask for any brazed on pieces that a loop can hook over and take a 15 lb pull, he or she can gin up something. The plating on the brass is almost certainly nickel, and will be slightly damaged in a small area. You might get something that looks like a screw head.
    Note that the mandolin may have been designed for lighter strings than you have now, and might be hurting in other places too.
    A new base piece is possible, but your cover could be difficult to match, and many of us like to keep original hardware.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Harwood_kc....I notice this is your first posting here at the Mandolin Cafe.

Does this suggest your Harwood hasn't been included in this lengthy thread?

If that is true, would you mind posting some photos of it...and naturally the tailpiece cover if you still have it.

You do realize, that in the many many Harwood mandolins posted in this thread we have yet to come across two that are exactly alike.
    Always some variation somewhere.

Maybe yours can help keep the "No Two Alike" streak alive.

Mick
    Last edited by brunello97; Jul-23-2022 at 7:59pm.
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

As noted, the tailpiece was patented in 1886 and the mandolin would be dated later probably somewhere +/- 1900. As Mick noted, post some clear photos of the whole mandolin. At the very least replace the tailpiece base with a functioning one and keep the old stamped one in the case for nostalgia purposes. Unless you have a jeweler friend it may be more expensive than it’s worth to repair the existing one. Also what strings are you using? They should be very light not standard mandolin strings.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Stereodawg View Post
    The Oct '86 is just the patent date stamped onto the tailpiece, so there would have been a lot of these around - it's possible you could run across a direct replacement.

I'm not recommending this (I jury rig my own stuff) but I'd just get a narrow strip of steel and crimp it with some pliers in a flat S configuration, loosen the right screw and slide one end up into the slot and hook the loop under the other end.

Thank you to everyone who offered helpful advice.. Your suggestions align with my instinct to create a workaround fix.

If I decided to find a replacement, What sites would you search? eBay would be a good start. Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

With creating a workaround fix, I am concerned about damaging the integrity of an antique. However it would be nice to play it again.. This is a family heirloom. I will take photos to share, along with what history was passed along.

This Harwood mandolin, circa 1900, has become a family heirloom. My great-great grandfather was the first owner, who was talented musically and played many instruments. When the mandolin was given to me, my father included a document with research he had found about this mandolin, as well as the family history.

This Harwood mandolin came from the J.W. Jenkins Music Company of Kansas City. The Harwood triangle trademark is on the neck block. On the back of the headstock, it is stamped Harwood, New York. The serial number is 17002.

Reviewing an old catalog photo from this thread, I believe this is a model No. 46.

I recently posted about my dilemma with a pair of broken tabs. This has been repaired! I cut out a piece of thin-gauge nickel and used JB weld to epoxy the piece in place, and now the mandolin sings again.

Name:	E66BFC77-A9BA-430A-8291-4D33CA61E82F.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	521.7 KB 
ID:	202715 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	410C3443-235D-4376-9ECE-9D6D75DAE464.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	473.7 KB 
ID:	202716 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8EF15D77-2486-4F4A-8419-30D73634E8CB.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	411.4 KB 
ID:	202717 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AF7D3C05-12AE-49D7-B1F4-41A2178301C9.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	288.4 KB 
ID:	202718 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6D066C8B-0A8E-4706-9792-BFEC4E1ED810.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	334.3 KB 
ID:	202719

Name:	7FD91312-F698-4B32-8B45-140078FA0544.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	278.9 KB 
ID:	202720 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	89BAC7C8-3D8B-4749-A15A-1D4D5746DD68.jpeg 
Views:	77 
Size:	396.9 KB 
ID:	202721
    Last edited by harwood_kc; Aug-16-2022 at 6:32pm.

Good news on your Harwood!

Quick question....what gauge strings are you using? In your photo they look pretty hefty.

All the bowlback mandolin players here strongly recommend using extra light strings: .09-.32 maximum on these old instruments.

You can get them from GHS strings.

Your next to last picture shows the string height to be extraordinarily high, which might suggest too much tension on the strings or a neck that has already moved out of position.

These weren't designed to handle the heavier strings used on carved top Gibson mandolins or other contemporary mandolins.

Be very careful with how you string up your family heirloom. You can unintentionally cause real damage.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

That’s great feedback. I had decided the light duty strings were not as light duty as I had hoped. Oddly enough, the GHS strings you recommended were in the mail. I will restring it and know they will be the better choice. Have you seen any other mandolins in the style of mine? I’ve enjoyed learning about the fascinating Harwood history.

With checking first, I would say "No, I haven't seen another Harwood that look exactly like this."

So, congratulations, again. You've kept the Butch Hancock-inspired Harwood "No Two Alike" streak going in fine style.

_The bookmatched and figured staves
    _The very flat and curiously shaped 'cowl' at the neck / bowl joint.
    _The small, Martin-esque volute at the neck / headstock joint.

Other familiar Harwood features are here but another unique mix of details and design.

Yeah...good move on the strings.

You've got to go as light as you can with these mandolins.

When you wear out the GHS strings and your loving your Harwood, spend a bit more and put on a set of Dogal Calace Dolce strings. Lightweight, beautiful sound, great on the fingers, last forwever.

You'll really enjoy how the Harwood sounds with them.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

[Q on the HARWOOD white celluloid inset at the uppermost fret there is in very tiny type the words "BALDWIN & GLEASON LIMITED NY PAT". this is nearly impossible to read, and directly on the lower edge of the white 'label.' this appears to refer to the company that made these signature white labels.... as they were a NY engraving company active between ca. 1860 & 1900 (-ish),

I just finished researching Baldwin & Gleason in regard to their celluloid novelty and advertising items. Nothing to do with mandolins & guitars. The partnership was formed in 1880, and most sources will give the end date as 1897, when Baldwin left the company to work for the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. However there are celluloid objects out there produced as late as 1904 bearing the name Baldwin & Gleason.

HarHolz[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by matchbookholder View Post
    [Q on the HARWOOD white celluloid inset at the uppermost fret there is in very tiny type the words "BALDWIN & GLEASON LIMITED NY PAT". this is nearly impossible to read, and directly on the lower edge of the white 'label.' this appears to refer to the company that made these signature white labels.... as they were a NY engraving company active between ca. 1860 & 1900 (-ish),

I just finished researching Baldwin & Gleason in regard to their celluloid novelty and advertising items. Nothing to do with mandolins & guitars. The partnership was formed in 1880, and most sources will give the end date as 1897, when Baldwin left the company to work for the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. However there are celluloid objects out there produced as late as 1904 bearing the name Baldwin & Gleason.

HarHolz
    [/QUOTE]

Wow. Amazing bit of info…thanks for sharing.

I’m away from my Harwood this summer, but I’ve never seen the ‘fine print’ you speak of.
    Now I’m fascinated to check on it.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Hi,
    My grandfather owned a Harwood Mandolin. I have a thread in this forum...
    Would love some more information on it.
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...rwood-mandolin

Name:	IMG_3088.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	208136

Name:	IMG_3089.jpg 
Size:	116.4 KB 
ID:	208137

Name:	IMG_3092.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	208138

Name:	IMG_3093.jpg 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	208139

Name:	IMG_3095.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	208140

Take a look at Post #3 in this same thread.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...l=1#post502885
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Professional Cat Herder Phil Vinyard's Avatar

In case you missed it on the other post, here is an article I found about the Harwood factory in Kansas City.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Harwood Factory Article.pdf  
    Phil Vinyard
    Gibson Jam Master F Standard #12 May 13, 2009
    Gibson Model A #67336 ca. 1921
    Harwood Bowlback ca. 1900
    Trinity College TM-325 Octave Mandolin
    Freshwater Mandocello
    Krutz 200 Upright Bass

18. The following members say thank you to Phil Vinyard for this post:

Well, it went for $462 which suggests it was a very good instrument which is what it looks like.