Thread: Allen Tailpiece

I'm trying to decide on a replacement tailpiece. Allen alone has six styles. Is it all a matter of cosmetics or are some easier to change strings than others. I've been beating up this Gibson A-1 for years now and have lost the tailpiece cover; it goes out of tune all the time; I break strings all the time. I think it's time to realize that I'm going to play this thing forever and I don't need to keep it original - I need the thing to be dependable to withstand the gigs - and if it means a replacement bridge and tuning machines I'll do it.
    Dwight

I have the TR2 and am pretty pleased with it. The TR2 has a reasonable amount of space on it that can be engraved, so you could have "The Gibson" engraved on it and at least keep the theme original.

Loren

I would <span style='color:red'>not</span> get the AR . Some loops can not fit around post unless you loosen the adjoining string. This happend when changing the
    D string next to the G. I have to loosen the G to fit the D aound the loop. Also the rough glittering gold pattern makes it hard to see the silver string loop, -especially when fighting with the adjoing string. If a string broke while performing, I'd probably miss 2 or 3 tunes.

I've had several Allens including the type shown in Tom C's post. It's a beautiful tailpiece that you will admire every day.

Never had a problem changing strings. And in the unlikely event you break a string, a ball-end string will work great in these tailpieces.

I liked the solid, unplated brass best simply because it changed color over time.

Hoyt

I'm with Hoyt on this one; the unplated tailpiece really turns rustic looking over time. I had one of these on an old A mandolin and it was a great addition.

My BRW A-style has a nickel AR tailpiece and I honestly can't figure out why Tom is having those problems. #I like the symmetrical look. The similar Monteleone tailpiece is really a hassle because the string posts are vertical and get wider at the top (rather than being back-slanted like the AR). It's difficult to get the strings on and off the posts on the Monteleone because you've got to manually spring the loops wider. #I'm considering another silver AR to replace the stamped chrome steel tailpiece on my Old Wave oval-A. An alternate consideration is the Weber combination tailpiece/armrest. #I'm fishing for user comments on another thread.

Wye Knot

Well, I just went with the suggestions here and bought the Tr-2 unpolished. I have an endpin jack. Will my luthier have to rout or drill out the tailpiece hole bigger?
    Dwight

Lee957,

I assume this is the Old Wave you got to before I could at Gruhns.

When I had my Old Wave, I put the unplated brass Allen tailpiece on it. As Ken said, it will turn rustic fairly quickly. I thought it looked nice even with silver tuners.

I can't swear that it sounded better than the standard tp, but it certainly did not hurt the sound of the Old Wave. I needed a sturdy "comfortable" tailpiece because I practice a lot at nights in a semi-reclined position with my arm often resting on the back of the mando and tailpiece. Not the best position for serious playing, but a very good one for noodling and contemplating the virtues of mandolin. The Allen is perfect in that respect. Standard tailpieces dig into one's arm and actually bend a little.

Hoyt

The Allen gold doesn't seemn to have any gold at all. #The bronze, or brass tarnishes as soon as you start to play it. #It doesn't even polish well with #a brass cleaner.
    3 finger chop

Hi Brianf:

Could you clarify what you meant by "having no gold at all"? I'm considering a gold TR2, but I haven't been able to lay my hands on one to check it out too closely.

Thanks,
    Charlie

Registered Person

I'm wondering what the difference is in the gold Vs. bronze. #Looking at the tr-2 and there's a 20 buck difference. #Same color? #Would the bronze tarnish to a nice(?) green? #Or am I thinking of copper. #They look really nice, not concerened so much with sound benifits, although that would be a plus.

Here's the URL for Allen tailpieces.

Yes Hoyt, the one and same Old Wave from Gruhn's. It is the perfect sofa-noodling mandolin. The corner is rather sharp. So I'm considering one of those combination tailpiece/armrests made by Weber.
    Wye Knot

I got the TR-2, nickel, tail piece from Randy. #I think the sustain, tone (richer), and volume were improved. #Easy to install. #Easy to change strings. #Easy to deal with Randy--he spent a lot of time on the phone with me going through the options.

I installed this on my Triggs A. #The stamped tailpiece (weak) was touching the top and the rigid, cast tailpiece eliminated that problem.

Looks great!!

Andy Morton
    Madison, WI

Like Neal, I'm wondering about the difference betweent the bronze and gold - I don't think there is a bronze one shown on the Allen website. Does the bronze one polish nicely?

Thanks,
    Charlie

Registered Person

Here's what Randy said:

Hello,
    Thanks for your note. The polished un-plated is $76.00 It will develop a
    patina unless you polish it with brasso about once a moth more of a antique
    look. Bright gold is $95.00 and will match what you have. Either will work
    and look just fine. It is just your preference.

All The Best,
    Randy Allen

Quote Originally Posted by (Charlie Ayers @ June 18 2004, 08:40)
    Hi Brianf:

Could you clarify what you meant by "having no gold at all"? I'm considering a gold TR2, but I haven't been able to lay my hands on one to check it out too closely.

Thanks,
    Charlie
    I ordered mine from Elderly, and it was described as being gold plated. #I paid the full price quoted for the gold plated one, but it obviously was not plated. #Just thought everyone should know.

CORRECTION #CORRECTION # CORRECTION[U] #The tailpiece was ordered from Michael Kelley, along with the mandolin.[B][B][U]

3 finger chop