Thread: Brekke adj vs ca on webers

I have no problems with my Vintage A as far as sound. I was curious how most of you compare the Brekke adjustable and CA and/or other traditional adjustables. Has anyone tried a traditional adjustable on a Vintage A, and if so, was there any difference in sound. I made a switch from the original Brekke to a CA on a Bitterroot and found the CA much more responsive. This is my first experience with the adjustable Brekke. So far, I have no complaints.
    Tony
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

I had a adj. Brekke bridge on a Flatiron Performer that I used to own and it diminished the loudness just a bit and brightened up the tone quite a bit. I played it that way for a few years before switching out for a Gibson bridge to increase the volume and improve the chop.

The thing I liked best about the Adj. Brekke bridge I could adjust it under full tension with the little wrentch that came with it. I had the action absolutely perfect on that mandolin.

Down side, as some have said, thin, wedge adjusted bridge, may not offset enough for some intonation length adjustments.

I don't find loosening the strings and turning the thumb-wheels that onerous a task.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

I have a little experience with the all-wood Brekke bridge, and lots of experience with the tradiitonal Brekke bridge with thumbwheels. When seated properly, the all-wood bridge is great, providing lots of low end and hum. The Brekke bridge with the thumbwheels providers a brasher, crisper sound, more akin to what peopel expect out of a bluegrass mandolin.
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow
    http://www.youtube.com/ktbriggs
    https://www.facebook.com/kevin.briggs.1213

I am still curious, if anyone has tried a loar type bridge on a Weber Vintage A and what was the results?
    Tony
    Tony Huber
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

How is the action on the Vinatge A?

Came from Greg Boyd set up very just the way I like it, high enough to get really nice sound, low enough to be easy to play. Almost as easy to play as my Collings, which is no small feat.
    Tony
    Tony Huber
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

My Weber uses the Brekke traditional adjsutable bridge and i don't see how a CA or other would be better.

Shad
    Help is on the way a government team of experts Is a'rushin' to your aid... -- Stephen Stills

Weber Diamondback F Custom
    Martin 000-18GE

Blog Entries

I have no experience with the Vintage A although I would love to!! I do know that the goal with bridges seems to be to get them as light possible and traditional brekke is pretty heavy as a bridge goes with that brass bar running al the way accross the saddle. My friend has experiemented with the original brekke vs the traditional brekke bridges on at least 10 Webers and prefers the sound of the original one pretty much accross the board, especially on the x-braced models and it worked real well on an Eastman Oval (not the same bridge of course). He suspects it is because it is lighter and he really felt the improvement was too subjective to put into words. My old tone bar Yellowstone is my own personal experience and I definately preferred the Original to the traditional on that one. Very bright and brassy with the traditional, the original one on the yellowstone allowed that mandolin to breath and gave it better balance and resonance. My Fern has the traditional of course and I am very happy with the sound so I have not felt the need to change it. I have to admit though, It does cross my mind to hear that Fern with a loar style bridge. I have fussed enough on that kind of stuff lately though and am just going to play these 2 great mandolins for a while. You sure have some nice instruments on the front porch red!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tenorbanjoguy

"Gettin' by" with the imports!

CA bridges are like fine microphones, when fitted properly they deliver whatever is there to be delivered from that particular instrument, regardless of brand.
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

CA stands for _?
    Life is short - Pray hard - Pick fast !

Cumberland Acoustic, website here
    http://www.cumberlandacoustic.com/
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

You will have to try the bridge in question to find out how it works on YOUR mandolin. There are just too many variables among mandolins to say that a particular bridge will produce specific results.

'Sound' advice from Mr.Lewis. I'm very happy with the tone & volume that i get from the Weber Fern with the 'traditional' bridge,so much so that i've often thought of putting one on my Beartooth 'just to find out'. The only problem is that it's a lot of trouble to go to just to find out it just sounds 'different' but not 'better'. Still........... !,
    Saska
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I've had all three on my Weber Big Sky. It came with the Brekke all wood bridge. It sounded good, but I switched the Brekke Traditional. The mando sounded much better. I then changed to a Cumberland and it's still there.

But in all fairness the Brekke traditional was fitted by myself and may have not been perfect as a result. The CA was fitted professionally and that may be the difference.

Someday I'll have the traditional refitted by someone who knows what they're doing. I really like the design and look.
    Go Vandals!

I agree with Michael;
    "You will have to try the bridge in question to find out how it works on YOUR mandolin. There are just too many variables among mandolins to say that a particular bridge will produce specific results."
    I am often asked if a certain change will improve a mandolin. The problem is that what might be in improvement to me might not be to someone else. I also think that for the time making a change, be it a bridge change over or strings (+ the comparing new with old in this case) or tailpiece etc., etc... if the changes are not large or you have an exceptional ear, then it is hard to tell, you have to compare the new sound with your memory of the old.
    Probably going to get into trouble for this but I think on some ocassions people spend time and money making a change and then subconsciously convince themselves that there is an improvement..

Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

I've got a Brekke made of maple w/ a Fi (fossilized ivory) insert on a cedar topped mahogany Bitterroot. The instrument really punches when you dig in, but is sweet with a lighter touch. My fern has the traditional bridge , and a more "bluegrass" tone

I agree with a lot of the comments and that was why my question was specific to the Vintage A. #I guess the question was really too specific as this is a fairly new model from Weber. I was just hoping that one of you wonderful gear heads might have tinkered with one already. #So often, a number of you here at the Cafe are way in front of the curve. #I am very pleased with the sound of the Vintage A as it stands, so am in no real hurry to tinker. #This was more a curiosity thing. Thanks anyway. #
    Tony

Tony Huber
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Trevor sort of echoes my thinking,that's probably why i haven't tried a Weber Trad.bridge on my Beartooth,although curiosity might yet prevail !. We can fool ourselves into thinking #that something's 'better' when it's just 'different',although when i fitted a good quality Ebony bridge to the Lebeda F-5 Premium Plus Mandolin that i used to own,i lieu of the (i think) Rosewood bridge that was on it,there most definitely WAS a big improvement in both tone & volume,
    # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # Saska

Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I shipped my Weber bitterroot to Weber to switch bridges from the standard to the traditional. Should be here soon. I will give a report on the sound..

Make A Joyful Noise..

My Bitterroot Weber came today from having a Tradional Brekke installed. I must say it is louder and a great tone. The big difference is Sustain. It is great. I recommend it.Thanks Rick, John and all at Weber

I had a Bitterroot that I bought with the standard Brekke. Steve Perry installed a CA bridge and there was a nice improvement in sound, clearer and more distinct, greater projection. Some of this may have been due to the mini-Manovoodoo that Steve performed too. As the Vintage is starting with the Traditional Brekke, I would not expect as much of a sound difference. Some day, when I have some free time, I will give it a try, and let you all know, if I do.
    Tony
    Tony
    Tony Huber
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172