Thread: Bluegrass in halifax, nova scotia

This is a little bit of a delayed (and quick) posting, but I thought I should mention these guys anyway.

I've been traveling back and forth to Halifax for work and one day I came across a flyer advertising a bluegrass band, The Strangeboys (I think the show was Saturday, 2/23). Without hesitation I made plans to check it out. I should point out that even though this will probably sound like a promotional post, I don't know any of these guys and I've only been to one show.

I wasn't sure what to expect, but I'll tell ya, I was blown away. These guys are all young, and their enthusiasm was really obvious--you can tell these guys love their music.

They looked for all the world like they've been doing this all their lives, and they're all really fine pickers. Some folks you can just tell "get it" and these boys really do get it. They seem to have all the tools--good picking, good rhythm, and like I said, they obviously enjoy their music.

I had the chance to speak with the banjo player between sets and I urged him to get this band out of Nova Scotia and into the States. Don't get me wrong--Halifax is a great town, but these guys really should make a go of it as a touring band.

I know this 'review' is as short on details as I am on time, but if you have the chance to check out the Strangeboys, I promise you won't be disappointed. Oh, and I think the mando picker played an Eastman, a fine-sounding one at that.

The only thing I should also mention is that I came across their myspace page and I don't think the recordings posted there do them justice. But I think I remember the banjo picker telling me they're working on an album, so maybe we'll hear more from them soon.
    It's not that life is short, but that we waste so much of it.

--Seneca (paraphrased)

If they are really that great they should stay in Halifax, if for no other reason than that I am hoping to move there before this year is out.

But really, I would never urge a band to leave their community if they don't want to. Tour if they can, yes, but leave, no. It might not be as much a part of the popular imagination, but the big fish in a small pond model is probably a better bet these days. With the internet and such, I don't see any reason why a musician should have to move to Nashville, or New York, or wherever. It will probably only be harder to get gigs, and I don't think your chances of breaking into the market are any better. Being that it's a bluegrass band, I think they should probably try to get on the festival circuit in the summers, but should stay based in Halifax. Regional music is important, and I think we should all aim to establish scenes in our own given areas. That sense of locality and community has perhaps dissipated over time, but I think we're beginning to see some signs of it coming back to life. Just my mindless blabbering.
    James

I've seen the name in the Coast a few times for Bearly's shows but I haven't seen them myself yet. I'll have to remedy that at some point.

Howdy, James,
    I agree with you on regional music--I didn't mean to imply that I urged them to leave Halifax forever, just that if they were thinking of striking out and giving it a shot, to encourage them because I think they're that good.

Good luck to you should you find yourself in Halifax come year's-end. I've spent 25+ days here since late January, and I've come to have a great deal of affection for this place and its people.
    It's not that life is short, but that we waste so much of it.

--Seneca (paraphrased)

Not sure how long you're gonna be down this way, but be sure to check out the Spinney Brothers if you get a chance, or Ray Legere (my absolute favorite Maritime musician, and that's saying alot considering the amount of talent in this part of the country). Glad we've left a good impression on you.

Wow, Milan, thank you for your kind words about our band! I read your post to the band at the beginning of practice today and it got everyone in a great mood. there was much pickin and grinnin going on. we still have a long way to go but we're having tons of fun leaning all we can about our favourite genre.

we definately want to tour canada and the US as soon as possible. Recording an album is the first thing we have to do in order to make that happen.

Sorry our myspace is so lack-lustre. those recordings are from a show we played in Toronto in late December. We're going to have some professionally recorded material up soon.

We're playing Bearly's again on April 5th if you want to come check us out. We're going to have Grassmarket (a great Halifax folk/bluegrass trio) opening for us. We share a bass player with them.

See you soon, I hope!

-Jeff

oh, and thanks for the props on my Eastman, I love it!
    "You may notice that I don't sound like Bill Monroe..." - Sam Bush