Thread: Appalachian uprising

Anyone offer anything 'bout this festival. I'm going this year with my daughter to see her (boy)friend play on stage Sat. I may just do the 3 days and camp. Any info would be appreciated. Many thanks, Mike

Michael McPeek

This year will be my 3rd year going. It is a wonderful festival for several reasons. The bands on stage are great, the location is beautiful (but isolated), and the people are friendly. There are no restrooms, just port-a-johns. They just added showers. It is kinda "wild" by bluegrass festival standards, with much drinking and what-not. Kinda looks like a Grateful Dead thing with all the tie dye shirts and skirts. There are off duty sheriff's deputies on the grounds, but they are usually there just in case someone gets too ornery. There is jamming there going on all night. You won't get much sleep if you camp out. They usually have Ice and a Camp store for items you have forgotten. It's tough to get a cell phone signal, but if you climb a rather steep jeep trail, you can get one. They have food vendors, a great coffee rig ($5.00 to drink coffee all day!), and t-shirt sellers. It is 20-30 minutes away from Huntington, WV. It's "fun on a bun".