Page 2 of 71 FirstFirst 1234562752 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue chip picks

True enough about the shell picks, I've heard worse than $35, let alone the obvious detrimental effect on the turtle population. Still if introductory pricing were offered, say on the first X number of orders or something, maybe for $20 or so, I'd bet many more people would jump on that who might not do so at $35. $20 seems to be acceptable for another popular pick manufacturer, so why not get in at that same point to start? Dollars and sense as my boss would say.
    Jason

"Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn’t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn’t know that so it goes on flying anyway."

Newell A5 #37, Glenn F5 #66, Eastman 615 #537,

I have some of that material for a medical mold that I worked on a few years ago. You can actually injection mold other materials like polycarbonate right onto that material without much effect. It's pretty amazing stuff.

I just made a pick out of it and I'll say it's quite a fine sounding material. I do know that the price of that material is incredibly expensive. Too bad it can't easily be molded or I'd use it in some pick molds I run for another customer.

$35 is not out of the question for what you're getting, even if that does sound crazy for a simple guitar pick. LOL!

Cheers,
    Pete

I was intrigued at first, but $35 for a blue chip pick -- and it isn't even blue.

"The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

This pick doesn't require polishing.

Who here polishes their picks? I didn't know I was supposed to.

Sheryl --- Me

For $35 I'd expect a plectrum, not a pick.

Quote Originally Posted by (mcH @ Mar. 14 2008, 19:01)
    This pick doesn't require polishing. #

Who here polishes there picks? #I didn't know I was supposed to.
    I was thinking the same thing.

I might get one, one of these some day..maybe

I'll wait till I hear from the masses, I have a redbear and really dont like it much. "still" Love my Gibson tri-Pick. they dont wear well, but they are only a buck each, thats 35 picks for one brown chip pick.

Blog Entries

I like to compare this sort of thing to a motel room. I've spent more than that on a motel room and the next day I had nothing to show for it. At least this way, you'd have a pick that should last forever.

<I like to compare this sort of thing to a motel room. I've spent more than that on a motel room and the next day I had nothing to show for it. At least this way, you'd have a pick that should last forever.>

The motel room, presumably, is a need. You either get one or sleep in your car. I'm not convinced I "need" this pick.

See if I can find one of my dozens of dunlops floating around at a convenient time, then we'll talk.
    Collings MT
    Weber Gallatin Mandocello

Language is the armory of the human mind, and at once contains the trophies of its past and the weapons of its future conquests. -Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Well other than the Placebo effect,

It would have to be a fully deductible business expense to be worth 100X a 0.35$ one Ill stay down with the Dawgs N such since the big fees [ or salary offers ] are not there.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

If you are at all serious about your tone and $35 clams and a Blue Chip gets you to where you want to be then you've got yourself a bargain in my humble opinion.

Looking forward to PJ's report.

For $35, I'd expect it to come with a little chain I can attach to a belt loop (or a mandolin strap), sort of like those big wallets with chains that some bikers carry. Or maybe it should come with a magnet or something.

Come on........lets be honest. At $35 it is a plectrum, just as my TI Mittles are just that Mittles, not strings. If you really want to be an artiste, you have to pay yours dues. You do want to be an artiste, doncha?

Blog Entries

Turtles are safe from me. So is this pick. See user name.

Looking forward to receiving mine.

Me too.
    "Can I have a little more talent in the monitors please?"

Quote Originally Posted by (GVD @ Mar. 14 2008, 15:12)
    Quote Originally Posted by
    $35 - is that each?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...
    Is something funny about driving Hawksbill turtles to the brink of extinction? Maybe you should check out what people pay for real tortoise shell before you dismiss what may be a viable alternative.

GVD
    Who is laughing at driving turtles to extinction? I never said that, and only a jerk would misrepresent what I wrote to imply that. Read the ACTUAL WORDS in the d*mned post. I never owned a shell pick in my life - how about you?

I am not criticising or denigrating the product. I know nothing about it except what is on the website, and will not be paying $35 to learn more.

I laugh because the concept of paying $35 for a pick strikes me as hilarious. That is my opinion. You are welcome to yours. You are welcome to buy what you like and I will not criticise you for it.

Wegen and Dunlop keep me picking just fine.

Always difficult to read inflction on a message board. If I misread the intent of message relative to these picks, then my bad. I ordered one, will try it out and see if it's any good.

Quote Originally Posted by (AlanN @ Mar. 18 2008, 12:25)
    Always difficult to read inflction on a message board. If I misread the intent of message relative to these picks, then my bad. I ordered one, will try it out and see if it's any good.
    Hope you like it.

At my level of playing, one decent pick is pretty much as good as another. If I were as good as Tim O'Brien or Adam Steffey it might make a difference, but for an amateur like me? Nah. That's one reason the price tweaks my funny bone.

I'll be interested to read the reports of those who try them.

I'll sell my red bear

Quote Originally Posted by (popogamwich @ Mar. 14 2008, 19:20)
    Quote Originally Posted by (mcH @ Mar. 14 2008, 19:01)
    This pick doesn't require polishing. #

Who here polishes there picks? #I didn't know I was supposed to.
    I was thinking the same thing.

I might get one, one of these some day..maybe
    Real TS requires upkeep or the edges get rough or can chip. Guys will carry an emory board around and polish the edges so they stay glassy smooth.

Here is why these picks are so expensive: a 12" x 12" square of this stuff, 1.6 mm. thick, costs $1300! See: http://www.professionalplastics.com/MELDIN7001
    (You need to choose the 0.062 inch 12 x 12 option to get the price.) I thought it might be fun to buy a piece and try it out. Ouch!

Now assuming that one could get 144 picks from a 12" x 12" sheet of this stuff, that would work out to only $9 each. We could all go in on this together, buy a sheet, cut it up, and for say $10 including postage each have a one inch square of it to use for making a pick. Wow, we could save $25! Now, does anyone want to handle the book-keeping for this, gathering 144 payments? Maybe it makes more sense to just buy a pick and see.

It looks like a pretty amazing product. You can also buy it with 15% carbon in it for extra strength or with molybdenum, for superior self-lubrication.

It might be interesting to make a flat-top mandolin out of it--no bracing needed. But we would need about $3,000 worth. Well, better not. Brazilian rosewood is a lot cheaper.

Gas is $4 a gallon and picks are $35 each. Get over it.
    ‎"Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats." - Howard Aiken

The material sounds like overkill for a pick considering that I've been using the same Wegen for over a year with no wear whatsoever. I don't know why, but I still want to buy one. I think I'll wait to hear what others say first.
    Heiden F-5 #110
    GMC Terrain VIN 2GTEC13Z871107423
    2007 Tempurpedic mattress
    $1.35 in assorted change