Thread: Need help with speakers

We are a BG Band with 3-4 vocals, banjo, mando, fiddle, guitar and bass using a Mackie powered mixer. To date, we use JBL 15s for mains and Eons 10s for monitors. I would like smaller mains for smaller venues. Does anyone have recommendations for 12 inch speakers for mains? Our bass has a separate bass amp and doesn't go through the board. Thanks, Rich Michaud
    Richard Michaud

The Mackie 12" speakers sound great.

Thanks Steve. Anyone else have any thoughts? Rich
    Richard Michaud

Just a thought Rich, have you tried using the 10" Eons for your small set? We use 15" passive Eons for our setup, but have on occassion used the smaller JBL 12" we use for monitors. Both weigh the same, the 12" JBL are wood cabinets and the Eon are plastic, so mostly we use the 15". Our larger stage set uses monitors for our monthly show, but our group does not usally use monitors when we perform (single mic).

we have thought about buying the peavy system all in one case. its pretty good for small venues. only has four outlets for mikes. used for about 5-600.00 that way you dont have to set up your whole system. small churches, nursing homes and such.

Couldn't you use the 10's as mains and something really compact for monitors?

Galaxy has high power capable Mic stand mounted, shoebox sized speakers,
    made for being vocal monitors.
    passive the 2_16ohms in a row =8ohm on the amp

As said, Cabs for 12's aren't that much smaller ..

I own a pair of E-V 8" sx 80's, passive, which are reasonably Small,
    quality US made.
    Compact, fits with a slide on clip onto the speaker stand.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

We've had good results from our EV SX300's which have 12's. I just got a couple of SB120 powered subs that are in the same size cabs so I'm hoping it will work well as a full-range system.

I promote TC Helicon's small-format monitors every chance I get. They mount on a boom stand between the bottom and the boom (hard to describe, easier once you see it). Great fidelity and ample output for a bluegrass band.
    Passernig #42

There are a couple of companies that make powered speakers that sound great. Peavey, Mackie, JBL, and Behringer make great powered speakers. I think the powered speakers and a non powered mixer is the way to go.
    "I love the smell of my mandolin in the morning. The smell, you know ... that varnish smell. Smells like victory."

Fiddler & Mandolin Player Dave Reiner's Avatar

Hi Rich-

Another vote for EV SX300s with 12's. Super sound, great reliability, small size. We can use them indoors and out, for up to 400 people or so.

Best,
    Dave
    '04 Gibson F3, '04 Gibson A4, '06 Gibson F4, '26 Gibson F5, '27 Gibson F4, '87 Givens A6, 2017 Kimble A5

Author, Anthology of Fiddle Styles; Co-author, Oldtime Fiddling Across America
    Genial host, Fiddle Hell Online (coming up on April 11-14, 2024, with 220 concerts, jams, & workshops (incl many for mandolin) and free replays for 4 months)
    Join www.facebook.com/groups/fiddlehellmassachusetts
    Free jams on our YouTube channel YouTube.com/FiddleHell
    More info at fiddlehell.org

garded

Since your are not looking for powered mains(I own Mackie's)I would listen to these:yamaha

That, or how about going with the Eon 10's for the mains, and get some hot spots, or TC Helicon's for monitors? Since you have a separate bass amp, I'm not sure why you even use 15"s in your "big setup", since most of the energy of the music, without the bass, can easily be handled by a 12". But I also don't see the need for subs, silly me.

We use The JBL Eon G2 15s and have had great luck with them, practically indestructable and sound great (plenty of bi-amped power on board, too). We just added a DBX Drive Rack PA and a JBL subwoofer (JS 100-15", if I remember the model number correctly). System has definitely moved up a notch or two with the new additions, but the Eons work very well by themselves.

Good luck.
    Tim
    Passernig F5