Thread: Gibson f-style flatiron questions

Intrigued by the Flatiron F-style Gibson, with "The Flatiron" on the headstock. I understand that Weber used to make the Gibson Mandolins, then production moved to Nashville but what is the difference with the version w/ The Flatiron on the headstock versus Gibson? And what are the specs? Currently playing a Breedlove FF and Collings MT with wider neck and dont think that I can play the smaller neck. And finally, price and availability? Much appreciated for any help understanding thing.

You're a little off. Bruce Weber started his company after Gibson moved the production of mandolins to Nashville. Gibson bought Flatiron, built mandolins for a time in Montana, Bruce Weber worked for Gibson. There are generally several Flatiron's for sale in the classifieds here at any given time. The current batch of Flatirons being built now are pacrim instruments.

A quick scan through these threads can give you more insight into the instruments themselves.

"It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Mike-thanks for straightening me out.

Actually, Gibson bought Flatiron from Steve Carlson(who Bruce Weber worked for at the time). Gibson then decided to start having the Gibson mandolins made in Montana. They were made in the same facility, the Gibson's under Gibsons specifications and the Flatirons under Steve and Bruce Weber's specifications (until Steve left leaving Bruce as the main guy), all being produced in the same Montana facility. When Henry decided to move the Gibson and Flatiron manufacturing to Nashville, Bruce and most of the Montana employees decided to stay in Montana. Bruce made the facililty purchase in Montana from Gibson and thus, Weber instruments was born. The flatirons were then made for a brief period in Nashville before being farmed out to overseas while the Gibsons continued to be built in Nashville. Hope this clears up any confusion. I've never heard a Montana built flatiron (or Weber) that sounded like a Gibson because they were built to different specifications even though they were made for a while in the same Montana faciilty by the same folks. I've owned Montana built Gibsons, Flatirons and Webers. The Flatirons (and now the Webers) were always heavier than my Gibsons. I believe the Flatirons were fine instruments but may have been just a tad overbuilt (for durability) compared to the Gibsons. During the timeframe that both Gibson and Flatiron were being made in Montana, the Gibsons came with a 5 year warranty and the Flatirons continued to honor a lifetime warranty just as they had under Steve Carlson before the Gibson purchase of Flatiron. I have not confirmed this from Bruce Weber, but this may explain why the Flatirons were built beefier than the Gibsons at the time. Both represented high quality instruments but my personal opinion was the Gibsons always sounded better. I liked the playability of the Montana Flatirons (and now the Webers) more since they had radiused fretboards and larger fretwire than my Gibsons.

Quote Originally Posted by (pdb @ Mar. 15 2008, 18:46)
    The Flatirons (and now the Webers) were always heavier than my Gibsons. #I believe the Flatirons were fine instruments but may have been just a tad overbuilt (for durability) compared to the Gibsons.
    I have played quite a few of these brands an never noticed this trend you speak of. I have a pre-Gibson '85 Flatiron F5 that is light as a feather.

Chip