Thread: "goya's ghosts" soundtrack

Unhappy

My wife and I watch Milos Forman's Goya's Ghosts last night. While I was not blown away by the movie by any means, I really enjoyed the soundtrack, which I assume may have been based upon authentic period music -- but as we've already returned the movie, and I was not able to locate a CD or soundtrack listing anywhere on the internet, I am not able to confirm that suspicion. What particularly grabbed me was the music in several scenes that featured duets between classical guitar, and what sounded like mandolin -- but in a couple of scenes in which musicians were shown on screen, it instead appeared to be a bandurria.

Which leads me to my question, is anyone out there familiar with any recordings of Spanish compositions featuring guitar and bandurria (or mandolin)?

"The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

more portugese than spanish, i would think. fado?

I can't say that it wasn't Portugese, but I am pretty sure it wasn't Fado -- it was purely instrumental music, not overly dark, and the pieces I really enjoyed were played in what to my novice ears sounded "classical guitar style" (a la Segovia), but with a mandolin or bandurria accompaniment/soloist.

"The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by
    Which leads me to my question, is anyone out there familiar with any recordings of Spanish compositions featuring guitar and bandurria (or mandolin)?
    Trio Assai is wonderful. If in the US, you can get at least one of their CDs from Elderly.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by (jimmacd @ April 01 2008, 09:54)
    sorry - i was responding to second-half of your post rather than the film part.

i've seen this film - good music and a healthy indictment of -ISMs of all sorts - both religious and secular.

goya was great artist. one of the reasons given for his apparent madness and his horrific images ("saturn devouring his children" ... yikes!) was his all-too liberal use of lead mixed in with his oil paints.

in terms of painting, however - the skill of painting - velásquez reigns supreme (imho.)

Quote Originally Posted by (billkilpatrick @ April 01 2008, 13:38)
    ...goya was great artist. #one of the reasons given for his apparent madness and his horrific images ("saturn devouring his children" ... yikes!) was his all-too liberal use of lead mixed in with his oil paints...
    I have read/heard the same about Emperor Nero. Ever the partier, he supposedly took in far too many orgies featuring wine cooked down in large leaden vats.

Regarding the film, I enjoyed it, and I was particularly mesmerized by the first half of the film, but felt let down in the second half. Once Forman jumped ahead to fifteen years later, the film seemed rushed and unfocused. (BTW, one interesting scene that I got a kick out of early in the film, showed the lithograph process, from the initial plate prep, through to the pressing of a print -- cool stuff!)

Jim, thanks for the link; several of the tracks on their samples page have a similar feel to what I was looking for.

~ Mark Twain