Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chris Thiles, Dude

Unhappy

Thats the thing Lynn it seemed like you really enjoyed the broadcast shoot, and thats part of what I enjoyed about watching it. I felt your excitment dude! Im glad to hear you enjoyed the Nashville segment. I lived out there for 5 years so it was good to see some familiar faces playing you instruments. I actually met Luke Bulla at a mutual friends house in Nashville, and he was a great guy to talk music with. I bet he ate up your instruments, did he get a chance to play that special mando?

Yeah, Luke layed his fiddle down, pulled a pick out of his pocket, asked very nicely if he could try it, and just played the fire out of it! I know he and Chris use to room together a couple of years back... should have figured some of that would rub off on him! By the way, Chris is a fine fiddle player too. But, all of the guys on the DIY shoot were great to work with. Not only the guys at Skaggs studio, but the guys on the crew as well. One of the highlights for me was when Andy L. called me at lunch while we were there and said he had my name on the guest list for backstage at the Opry that night. He was playing there with Skaggs and we all had a great visit.

Speaking of great times, I had a real treat tonight. My wife (Amy) and I had dinner with a good friend from upstate NY along with Carlo Aonzo. It was my friend's birthday today, and after dinner at the restraunt, Carlo pulled out his mandolin and played the best "Happy Birthday To You" I've ever heard! I love this job.... if you could ever consider what I do as "work"!

Lynn

I have seen the 'Work' of the Dude and it is good!!!!
    I saw him do a parking-lot emergency repair on a loose fret with some Super-Glue; he knows what he is doing.

Wow! Lynn, that sounds like quiet a nice time you had.Dont you love it when a day is full of excitment like that?

You DIY series on Handmade Music has been mentioned in this and other threads so I will post here that DIY Network has a recapp of each episode on their website with pictures. Index of episodes. You will have to click on the links. They also have some downloadable music available that was performed in the series. I believe some of Mr. Dudenbostel's instruments were used. Music download page.
    Bill Snyder