Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chris Thiles, Dude

Does anyone know all or most of the specs on Chris Thiles Dudenbostels? Like the fret size, thickness of the sides, what type of bridge, neck shape, What the top is tuned to, what type of wood was used on the soundboard, nut width and material the of the nut? Thanks again fellow pickers.

wont you just ask Mr. D himself, he's on this site "dudenbostel" i think

The More Strings One Can Play At A Time The Higher His Or Her IQ, Exept In My Case

The Forrest Gump of Mando Rob Powell's Avatar

Well, until Lynn weighs in, here a link to both Chris' and Gary Hedricks' mandos in process...

http://www.buddyscustoms.com/dudenbostel/index.html
    "If you can make it to 50 without growing up, you don't have to..."

Rob Powell AKA The BeerGeek

Ok, so you'll never see me complain about the price of US or Pac Rim mando's again...LOL!

I know all the specs! <G> Briefly, I'll tell you the frets he prefers are "banjo" sized frets (the banjo wire from StewMac is what I use), all of my bridges are from www.cumberlandacoustic.com, the top on both of Chris' mandos are Englemann spruce, standard Loar neck width with a slight vee shape, and I think #5 is a pearl nut and #14 is ivory. I'm in the process of shooting an instructional DVD on mandolin building ( and another on guitar building) that should be available within a year. Sounds like a lot of your questions would be answered in that. It will be very detailed. Part of the reason I'm doing this is that I get so many requests for help from new builders and I really can't take much time out of my work day to answer questions. After all, when I'm talking on the phone or with a visitor in the shop, work comes to a complete stop. It's tough to get in a good 8 hour work day most days. So, a detailed instructional DVD seemed the way to go. I'm sure it will be at least two DVD's, maybe three. I'll just have to see what is needed to get all the points across. Pardon the commercial plug.

Lynn

6. The following members say thank you to Lynn Dudenbostel for this post:

camog 

Pardon granted!! Anyone doing such a good job building instruments and repairing vintage ones has unlimited latitude to talk about it.

Great news Lynn!!! I really enjoyed watching you build the guitar and mandolin on DIY, although my wife couldn't understand why I watched it so often. The DVD will be something to look forward to.

Thanks Evan..... pardon accepted! <G>

i was curious what chris' setup is, as far as action height.

This is wonderful news! I (among many others I'm sure) have been hoping for a builder of your reputation to provide us amateurs with some instructional material. I'll be one of the first in line.

Lynn and I are working out the details, but I expect to star in this video. Sex appeal, yeah, that's it!
    ..... f5joe

The Forrest Gump of Mando Rob Powell's Avatar

Hey Lynn,

Plug on! And if you need any help (plugging not making) I'm sure that eveyone at the cafe would be more than eager. I'm not sure you can even consider it a plug when so many of us were pushing you to make these videos...

Hey Joe..didn't Lynn already address that issue of you and the videos?
    "If you can make it to 50 without growing up, you don't have to..."

Rob Powell AKA The BeerGeek

Thankyou Lynn for the specs on Thiles mandos. I am having a mandolin made for me and out of all the specs I chose the fret size completely slipped my mind. So for now I guess it'll be regular sized frets. Is their a huge difference between the two? espeacially in the way of playability? Were both of thiles mandos banjo frets or just one? If I decide in the near future to change them over to banjo frets, is it a very difficult process for a luthier? and is it a costly process?
    Thanks a bunch everyone,

There are pages of threads on this subject. Just search a little.

Just curious what radius Chris T plays with, if anybody knows. #I can't make out by the pics in above link if the sanding with the 14" radius block is Chris' or Gary Hedricks' fingerboard.

I believe its a 14'ich radius,
    I looked on here and did not find all that info you were talking about reguarding banjo frets.Other than people saying it does or doesnt feel as good.or that it sustains better , while others disagree. Nothing mentioned about cost and difficulty of procedure for luthier.

F5Joe does have a cameo appearance in the show, carrying out a full garbage can from the shop. The shot only shows his back. Not much of a budget for make-up, and Joe needs a bunch! <G>

I think Chris' radius was about 9 or 10 inches. As for fret size, just try several differnt instruments with different size wire. I can no more tell you what size you'd like any more than I could tell you what to order for dinner! It's all personal preference. A total refret isn't cheap, and that's what it takes to change fret sizes. Plan on $250 to $350 from a reputable luthier.

Lynn

Is a 9 or 10 inch radius any easier on the fingers? How do you find this affects the playability? ap.posed to a 14 inch

Different size frets and different radii on fingerboards have various effects on playability for different people. Your question is not one that anyone else can answer but you. You have to play mandolins with various specs and decide for yourself. More radius will be a positive thing for some people, a negative thing for others. It's like trying on shoes until you find a pair that fits well. I wish there were a more cut and dried answer, but that's the best that can be done!

Lynn

Hey Lynn

When you gonna finish my Dude

Don't tell me you didnt get my order that I faxed 8 years ago #

Guess I didn't get it, since I don't have a FAX machine.... HA!

Dude

DOH !

Nice try Mav!
    ..... f5joe

Unhappy

Dudenbostel #14 was a 9 or 10' inch radius. Was #5 the same?
    BTW The mando on the dYI network was so nice looking, and from what I could tell sounded nice aswell. Cosmetically like nothing Ive seen.

#5 is about the same radius as #14. Thanks for the kind words on the DIY mando. It was a very special one. I hope you enjoyed watching the series as much as I enjoyed doing it! It really was a blast, especially the stuff we taped in Nashville.

Lynn