Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steffey mandolin vs lawson

Okay, so the Steffey has a radius and the Lawson doesn't. The Lawson has bound F holes. Are there any huge tonal differences? Is there much of a radius on the Adam Steffey F5? On the used market, what would each mandolin command if they were in similar condition?
    I own a great Lawson (set up by Gibson Showcase) - had them add a slight radius and took the lacquer and stain off the back of the neck. Low action. It sounds great and plays like butter. I swore I'd never sell it.

But I originally wanted a Steffey and none were for sale. Now there is one so I'm second-guessing myself.

Would someone talk me into (or out of) the Steffey? (vs. the Doyle Lawson). Anyway, as I'm currently dazed and confused I'd appreciate feedback.

Thanks,
    Jill #

Jill G
    Weber Bridger F
    Weber Aspen 2

I would look at the fact that Steffey does not play a Steffey. I think the Lawson looks better and most I have played do seem better then the Steffeys but then hard to find many to really compare them to others. Just guessing but the Bush would be the No. 1 signature Gibson and the Lawson No. 2. After that the rest are about the same in popularity with the Benson bringing up the rear.

There is a Lawson in the classifieds for $5,700 or $6,000 - he has two prices on it so I don't know which is right.

The Steffey is $5,500.

The Lawson and the Bush are standard production mandolins. All the other signature models are limited to 50.

Quote Originally Posted by (f5loar @ April 07 2008, 17:44)
    I would look at the fact that Steffey does not play a Steffey.
    neither do lawson or bush.

is there something you dislike about the mandolin you have? it seems unclear whether you find anything wrong with it other than the endorsee. i wouldn't get so hung up on the model. in this price range, there's a lot of worthy options if you're not happy with what you've got. and if you're not, before just pulling the trigger on a steffey, i'd take my time, play several instruments and figure out what you want.
    www.bigdrawbluegrass.com

Voight A-5
    Bayard GBOM

My own opinion is that you could get more for your money if you would consider mandolins in that general price range that don't have "Gibson" on the headstock or a famous player's name on the truss rod cover. Those two things carry a premium of about $1,500-2,000 compared to instruments of similar quality. CAVEAT: You do retain that extra money in terms of resale, so it's not a sunk cost.
    Passernig #42

Quote Originally Posted by (shiloh @ April 07 2008, 05:14)
    Okay, so the Steffey has a radius and the Lawson doesn't. The Lawson has bound F holes. Are there any huge tonal differences? Is there much of a radius on the Adam Steffey F5? On the used market, what would each mandolin command if they were in similar condition?
    I own a great Lawson (set up by Gibson Showcase) - had them add a slight radius and took the lacquer and stain off the back of the neck. Low action. It sounds great and plays like butter. I swore I'd never sell it.

But I originally wanted a Steffey and none were for sale. Now there is one so I'm second-guessing myself.

Would someone talk me into (or out of) the Steffey? (vs. the Doyle Lawson). The other wee consideration is that the Steffey (used) seems to be a bit less expensive. I hardly take my Lawson anywhere because I paid so much for it. Okay, so I'm nuts. There is a psychological advantage to owning/playing an instrument that is a bit less expensive. (I know, it's not exactly a Loar we're talking about!) Anyway, as I'm currently dazed and confused I'd appreciate feedback.

Thanks,
    Jill #
    Hey Jill

As a fellow "Lawson" owner, you should keep yours. The Steffey's are good sounding mandos, but the Lawsons are better. The bound F holes bring out more whoof and bass and volume. Doyle still plays his prototype onstage(I've got to play it too)and he is proud of it. Gibson also made a varnish model for him. Adam doesn't endorse the signature model anymore, and hasn't for about 3 years now. He now endorses and plays Daley mandos.

If you're wanting a "Steffey" then try to find a good used one, but keep the "Lawson" by all means.
    Molon Labe

Quote Originally Posted by (45ACP-GDLF5 @ April 07 2008, 22:44)
    The bound F holes bring out more whoof and bass and volume.
    Has this been physically documented?

Seriously though, I wasn't aware Doyle still plays his Doyle model. Last few times i've seen him he's been on other independent mando builder instruments, most recently the Carver. Sorry if I mispoke on that.

B
    www.bigdrawbluegrass.com

Voight A-5
    Bayard GBOM

You are likely to see Doyle with most anything including anything someone hands him for the day. Here lately Doyle has been changing mandolins as much as his custom-made Manuel Rhinestone coats which costs more than his mandolins. I should know!
    The F holes give the sound? I thought it was that fancy truss rod cover
    When you consider a small paper signed label makes some mandolins sound better than others no reason to believe the bound F holes could not do the same!

I would keep what you've got. Gibson has a lot of variability in quality and if the one you've got is a keeper, I think it would be pretty risky to switch sight unseen.

Besides, it doesn't sound like your reason to switch is that great. I would just be happy I had a good one. just my take.

Heiden F-5 #110
    GMC Terrain VIN 2GTEC13Z871107423
    2007 Tempurpedic mattress
    $1.35 in assorted change

Hi guys,
    I guess part of my decision is how much I spent on the Lawson. I like the tone - I think it's great. And I really like Doyle Lawson and Adam Steffey (as people and musicians). The 'name' on the mandolin is not an issue. I really, really like a radius which, as I understand, the Steffey has (more so then my 'modified' radius that was done by Gibson for me after the fact). (Note: as I get older I'm having left-hand issues and I understand the radius helps a little with the issues I'm having.) So, the radius is a big draw for me. But I like having a Gibson. Sort of a present to myself.
    Jill

Jill G
    Weber Bridger F
    Weber Aspen 2

Quote Originally Posted by (bradeinhorn @ April 07 2008, 20:51)
    Quote Originally Posted by (f5loar @ April 07 2008, 17:44)
    I would look at the fact that Steffey does not play a Steffey.
    neither do lawson or bush.
    Actually, on almost every DL&Q recording (even their newly released one) that's come out since the Lawson model Gibson was introduced, the liner notes say "Doyle Lawson plays a Lawson signature model Gibson F5 mandolin." And also, on the DL&Q 25th anniversary dvd, that's all Doyle plays.

My 2cents worth would be do whatever makes you happy. Sounds like you have a very special mandolin, but if you really want a Steffey, that's up to you. They're such a rarity, its one of those get while the gettin's good situations. I would take in to consideration though, that Steffey plays a Daley instead of his sig. model, but Doyle's sig. is one of his main mandolins. I really wanted a lawson model (and still do), but I was told by many reliable sources that all of Gibson's mandolins are virtually the same, just decorated differently. The only differences between the F5G's, Ferns, and signature models is how they're decorated and the only thing that makes the Master Models different is the varnish instead of lacquer. That's why I just got an F5G, it's just as good as the others, just without the decoration of the more expensive models. Anyway, back to your decision, my advice is do what you think will make you the happiest because no matter what people tell you, you need to do what you will be most satisfied with in the long run. Best of luck to ya.
    2003 Gibson F5G
    Morgan Monroe MCM-CB
    Kentucky KM-140
    2004 Martin D28
    Blueridge BR-180
    Washburn D30s
    Alvarez RD-10
    Morgan Monroe MGB-2c banjo
    Fender Squier P-Bass
    2009 Beard Gold Tone PBS-M reso

I wouldn't have minded if Gibson would have produced the Steffey as some generic model number ( like f-5m, for example) rather than an artist endorsement model. Why? Because I bought my Steffey for the mandolin that it is, not the artist that endorsed it. I don't know if anyone down the road will care that these mandos have a Steffey name on them or not. I just like the mandolin. I like the lack of an extension, the radius, I even like the dark color. I love the tone I get from it. The feature I like the least is the Steffey truss rod cover, and that can be replaced. I don't care if Adam Steffey plays one or not. Personally, I think the concept of artist endorsement models is mostly a marketing concept, and if you are truly looking for a mandolin that suits YOU, the artist endorsement is just fluff.
    Tony Szczygielski

I think they look cool, but I have always disliked the idea of having someone else's name on my mandolin and wouldn't buy one for that reason.
    Heiden F-5 #110
    GMC Terrain VIN 2GTEC13Z871107423
    2007 Tempurpedic mattress
    $1.35 in assorted change

Quote Originally Posted by (shiloh @ April 07 2008, 23:07)
    .....The 'name' on the mandolin is not an issue. Honestly, it boils down to finances......

.....Oh, as far as Gibson vs. another builder, I just really want to have a Gibson F.....

.....I don't play it very much and I think, psychologically, if I have a mandolin in a case I'd feel better if it just didn't cost quite so much.
    Mmmmmmkay.
    Passernig #42

Quote Originally Posted by (bradeinhorn @ April 07 2008, 10:49)
    Quote Originally Posted by (45ACP-GDLF5 @ April 07 2008, 22:44)
    The bound F holes bring out more whoof and bass and volume.
    Has this been physically documented?

Seriously though, I wasn't aware Doyle still plays his Doyle model. Last few times i've seen him he's been on other independent mando builder instruments, most recently the Carver. Sorry if I mispoke on that.

B
    I've seen Doyle with his Carver a couple of times, but 9 times out of 10, he's gonna have his signature model onstage with him. He's also played his DMM onstage a few times as well. Since he still has a deal/contract with Gibson, he pretty much plays the signature model most all the time. # I usually see DL&Q at least 4-5 times per year.

Molon Labe

Are you in a position where you could try one and compare? Have you tried a Steffy before (and if yes was there something in playing that mandolin make you want it more than your Lawson)? The Radius on the Steffy may be no more than is on your Lawson (seeing as how they were both done by Gibson). Of all the artist endorsed Gibsons I've played the Lawson seemed much better, but that is JUST MHO and yours may differ.

So, my suggestion is first get a Steffy together with your Lawson and see if there's really much difference. If there is then decide which you like better. If there's not much difference (or, at least you don't really like the Steffy that much better than the Lawson your can:

A) Send the Lawson back to Gibson for a more significant radius.

or

B) Begin the quest for the right mandolin. Happily there's a multitude of fine luthiers building great mandolins out there so the right one is out there waiting.
    Greg Henkle

2002 Prucha F5
    1962 Martin D18
    1965 Fender Telecaster

Did Lawson sell his '23 Loar? He's got one of those too!
    I've never seen him with his Signature model. Last time was with the DMM. Before that was the Loar.
    As far as radius being easier on hands as you get older, I'm pretty sure Lawson is considerably older than Steffey.
    Old enough to be his father in fact!
    I'm pretty sure Monroe kept his flat until the day he died.
    If Doyle can still cut it on a straight board no reason you can't. As far as feeling the Lawson is more expensive, we are not talking thousands here. Not enough difference to warrant a change.
    I think your Bush Stimulus check would cover the difference. Can't wait to spend mine when it gets here!

I think the bound F holes on the Lawson makes them about the size of the unbound F holes on the Goldrush. The first proto Goldrush was X braced I'm told and the smaller F holes on the production model were to try to get that X braced sound sense they didn't go into production with the X bracing. So I wonder if that was what Gibson was going for on the Lawson as well?
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

Quote Originally Posted by (shiloh @ April 07 2008, 23:07)
    The 'name' on the mandolin is not an issue. I really, really like a radius which, as I understand, the Steffey has (more so then my 'modified' radius that was done by Gibson for me after the fact). (Note: as I get older I'm having left-hand issues and I understand the radius helps a little with the issues I'm having.) So, the radius is a big draw for me. But I like having a Gibson. Sort of a present to myself.
    To me it seems obvious that having the fingerboard arched on the mandolin you have would make if fit your preferences exactly.

I heard that the Lawson model sound was by adding the binding later and then liking the sound of the narrower f-holes. They used the same spacing on the Goldrush model and they do sound very similar to each other and different (and to my ear) better than a sitka topped F5G and Fern.
    "Can I have a little more talent in the monitors please?"

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by (f5loar @ April 07 2008, 22:11)
    I think your Bush Stimulus check would cover the difference. Can't wait to spend mine when it gets here!

Do we need to start a thread on how we're gonna spend these millions?

2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

Save your money and buy a Gil. Then you never have to look for another mandolin for the rest of your life

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Sounds to me like you just need someone to "distress" your Lawson so you'll feel better about taking it out to play.

I got a new mando 4 months ago and the very first night I had it, I handed to a guy who wanted to try it. His belt buckle put a couple marks on the back (Dang!!)

Now I can just enjoy it without worrying about that first ding.

Let me know if I can help.

Phil

Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Hi Phil
    Thanks for providing some humor! You're probably right. I should give the Lawson to you for awhile and have you distress it! Maybe I should quit baby-ing it, eh? My family has always told me that I'm the person they'd want to buy a car (mandolin, guitar, fill-in-the-blank) from! #

Jill
    Jill G
    Weber Bridger F
    Weber Aspen 2