Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: $500 mandolin?

TN, you are within normal reasoning to trust Epiphone more than you would Rogue for quality control, since the name of Gibson is attached to it, and IMO this is what they want us to think, but I seriously doubt there is much of a difference. The only Epiphone mandolin I have owned was an MM30 with a built in pickup. The hole in the top below the bridge was drilled at a location which was severely off for setting proper intonation and since the wire came right up through the top and into the bridge, the bridge was rendered permanently located in the wrong spot. I sent it back immediately and I would not own one of these as a gift. I don't think anybody from Gibson had anything to do with QC on this or any other Epiphone mandolin. I would trust Kentucky to have a higher standard of QC than I would Epiphone.

"I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

I guess pretty much with any inexpensive mando it's best to look it over before you buy. I've read a lot of bad reviews on Rogue but the MM-30 from Epi has decent reviews. Kentucky, Old Hickory, Morgan Monroe, Michael Kelly, Washburn, ect. pretty much all are made in China or Korea, aren't they? The main thing is the standards that are set by the parent company here in the U.S. as to what's acceptable and what's not. Rogue might accept stuff that'd never make Epi or Washburn's quality control standards. Likewise, Morgan Monroe or Michael Kelly is probably higher then Epi or Washburn.

To me, it seems like the Washburn and Epiphone mandolins have better "factory setups", and to an extent tighter quality control. You pay extra for this and it does not necessarily mean you are getting a better instrument.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

On the other hand you sometime pay more for the "name" on the instrument rather then any real extra quality. As long as you start with quality parts and wood you should end up with a quality instrument. You have an amount you can spend that'll get you something good, below that amount you'll get junk and above that you're paying for things that won't really make it play any better, just make it look a bit better or like I said for the name that's on it.

Quote Originally Posted by (TNFrank @ April 14 2008, 22:03)
    On the other hand you sometime pay more for the "name" on the instrument rather then any real extra quality. As long as you start with quality parts and wood you should end up with a quality instrument.
    ...which is why companies like Gibson put the names of defunct American manufacturers (Epiphone, Flatiron) on their imports. #They hope that the buyer will associate the quality of the old companies, with the new instruments that have absolutely nothing to do with the instruments the old companies made.

Washburn, Regal, Oscar Schmidt, etc. were American companies of the last century that made a broad range of instruments, from beginner-level to high-end. #They went out of business, but their names live on as the property of American firms importing Asian instruments.

The "quality parts and wood" is also an open question. #You have to do a bit of research, or call on an experienced friend, to know when you're dealing with plywood and when with solid wood, when a "carved" top is actually carved and when it's heat-pressed into shape, when tuners and tailpiece and bridge are of acceptable quality. #How many times have I read, "I bought a Kazooma for $400 and it didn't play well, but when I had it professionally set up, bought a new bridge, new tailpiece, replaced the tuners, had the frets dressed and leveled, etc. etc., it sounds and plays comparably to my friend's $1K Breedweberson." #Yeah, and after all that, it also costs comparably.

All we're saying is, just because Gibson imports it, doesn't make it a Gibson. #Doesn't even imply that Gibson devotes the same level of design input and quality control to it, that they do to their G-brand instruments.

You hit the nail on the head when you said "it's best to look it over before you buy" -- yes, and play a half-dozen different instruments, and pick the one that sounds and feels the best regardless of nameplate.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

As another option, as stated before here on this thread. Try the Classifieds. Two add numbers I saw in your range are #27998 and #27999.

Eric
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

Quote Originally Posted by (Playin4Fun @ April 14 2008, 23:00)
    As another option, as stated before here on this thread. Try the Classifieds. Two add numbers I saw in your range are #27998 and #27999.

Eric
    In general this is a good idea, but earlier in this thread is an example of a buyer who may have gotten burned by a deal from these classifieds.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

I acted quickly on an item in the classifieds. I did no homework and asked no questions. So I accept partial blame for being burned. I cannot even say it was on purpose as the seller may have been a newbie just as I was. Unanswered emails leaves me wondering.

As has been repeated a trillion times on here, it is best to touch, feel, and play if at all possible. Where not possible do your homework, ask questions, seek advice from someone you know that knows what they are talking about and then make a decision. Never make a rash decision, that was my mistake. In the end I wish I had just saved a little longer and stepped up from the 500.00 range.

Default Re: $500 mandolin?

Happy with my $160 Stradolin JR recently purchased on Ebay. Cleaned the dirt/grease off, filled in screw holes on loose tuner plate, and put on extra light strings. Can't believe how loud this baby is. It won't win a beauty contest but plays. I keep it at school and let kids play it instead of my Gibson A9. I played 5 A9s before settling on mine. They varied quite a bit in tone. Best bet is play 'em then pay 'em. Here's that Strad JR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVrV...e_gdata_player

Blog Entries

Default Re: $500 mandolin?

Quote Originally Posted by BluesJunkie View Post
    Is there anything y'all can suggest for that price that won't get me laughed off stage?
    If you can play the dickens out of it, nobody will ever laugh.

And no-matter what it is a waste of money to spend it in an attempt to avoid someone laughing.

That being said you will find a lot of great advice in this thread.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....