Thread: Banjo frets vs. narrow frets

I'm interested in opinions from those in the know on playability and durability/maintenance of wider banjo frets vs. traditional, narrower mandolin frets.

Comments anyone?

R

It all comes down to personal preference.
    There have been many long threads on this subject, but they might be hard to find using the search button. There are those who say narrow is more playable and those who say wide is more playable, some say wide frets have an edge in durability and some say not.

John,

Thanks for the tip. I sharpened by search skills and found the threads you referenced. Bottom line seems to be "boxers or briefs".

R

If you're wondering what's out there, check this. For many people, banjo frets are narrow frets. I think those terms are misleading.
    ph

º º º º º º º º º º º º º º º
    Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

Thanks, Paul.

Very helpful and exhaustive resource.

R

It was rather exhausting putting it together.

There are some other European wires I didn't include, but this covers a lot of it. Many if not most of my serious mandolin clients prefer bigger frets, for ease of playing and durability. But I do the tiny ones for bowlbacks and various vintage items where it is appropriate.
    ph

Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

Skinny frets are GREAT for playing way up the neck. That would be the number one advantage. Otherwise I prefer a little more fret.

Some people think skinny frets contribute to certain tonal aspects. I can't hear it. However they may make certain styles of playing easier or harder.

Loars have skinny frets. If they didn't, I think a lot fewer people would profess to prefer skinny frets.
    Passernig #42

I just built an f style and used banjo frets .I love the feel of them ,but i'm a guitar and banjo player also so maybe they just feel more like what i'm use to .

What do you consider to be banjo frets?
    ph

Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

I've found the FWG74 from LMI (EVO) to be quite nice. I think thats a pretty typical 'guitar' fretwire. I wish it were a TAD smaller (several of us should go together and order the minimum from jescar in a custom size, something like a .68-.72 CW, .43CH ) I think most people consider 'banjo' frets to be something between the loar fretwire and guitar wire. I'm not sure I've ever seen such a beast, or at least he is pretty rare.

correct me if i am wrong but i always considered standard Mandolin wire to be .053 wide with a .037 crown [Stew/Mac standard mando wire ] I used the .080wide with .040 crown on this one .On my previous mandos i used the smaller size but built this one for myself .Maybe we should just consider standard as what we like not what others say !

I always thought "banjo frets" referred to the skinniest frets available and were synonymous with Loar-spec mando frets. But I don't play banjo.

No matter the name, my favorite mandolin frets are the .080 x .040. Wide but not too wide. If you have lots of time they look really good if you narrow them out a bit on the frets above 15. A nice progressive (regressive?) width can really look good.

That sounds good Tom .Do you just file them down? Or could you use the narrower fret wire ; or is it narrow enough ? I'm ready to experiment on ther next one ,I bent the sides up today .

The last one I did (I wish I'd taken a photo) I filed the fret wire a bit narrower before installation. I just eyeballed it and ended up with the graduated widths. The frets were all the same height.

I've been thinking about trying a stairstep fret height system sometime.