Thread: $500-$650 mandolin?

Hello, I'm new to the forum AND to Mandolins.

I have a cheap asian made Old Hickory mandolin that I've been learning on, but now I need something MUCH better. #The one I've got now is unplayable past the 7th fret (I setup my own guitars/bass, and this took forever to barley become playable) and doesn't stay in tune very well.

I'm looking for something that will mic up and record well, as well as Fishman pickup'ed for gigs (I already have the pickup). #Something with nice playability too.

Are Micheal Kelly's any good? #The radiused fretboard sounded like it might be cool.

Washburns in this price range seem to be back ordered - are Washburns decent?

How's the Epiphone?

ANY other brands/models you can recommend in this price range? $500-$650
    I have an F-Style case and pickup already.

Currently, I run all of my acoustic/piezo pickups through an L.R. Baggs Para Acoustic DI... I already have a Fishman Mandolin bridge/pickup too.

Hey Johnny Crash! nice handle btw. My first mandolin was a Kentucky A-style (consequently it was almost the same mando I'd cut my teeth on, borrowed from my folks' friend--a loaner! )IMHO Kentucky seems to make a solid mando with good sustain and tonality. #Michael Kelly mandolins seem pretty nice too, although I've only happened upon them maybe thrice in my lifetime. #My roommate just ordered a Michael Kelly acoustic/electric bass and its totally righteous. I would definately get an A-model,I think youre gonna get a better sounding mando for youre money. But yeah Im sure I didnt help much, good luck and have fun with your findings!
    Ooh, he card reads good.

Hi Johnny,

As for Michael Kelly's, you would be looking at the Legacy Plus. This is one of the better values in the line.

Some of the things I like about it.

The Grover tuners are great! I like the Tusq nut. The MK cast tailpiece is not my favorite design, but I do prefer it over a stamped two piece tailpiece. It is not real common, but I do get mandos with a backbow in the neck.. The MK's have a double adjustable truss rod to fix this. While this "shouldn't" come up, it does and I find myself having to return mandolins to the maker when the string tension alone will not pull the backbow out. Some brands are much worse than others about this.

You may or may not like the fingerboard/frets. My experience has been that people coming from a guitar background really like the radius and the medium frets used. They do have a different feel to them.

Any of the imports in this range should play great once setup. They are going to have different feels to them, based on the fingerboard, frets and neck profile. Aside from that, playability on any of the better brands is fine after a setup.

I have noted big improvements in tone by installing the Fishman bridge on various imports. Most of these imports come with an adequate bridge, but that is about it. A well fitted Fishman bridge (or any good quality bridge) will make a noticible difference in the mando's acoustic tone. If you do choose to go with a radiused fingerboard, you will want to radius your Fishman as well. This will not be a big issue though.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Thanks guys!

Yeah, the Grovers were a big selling point to me. I also liked the Tusq nut and the radiused fretboard options.

Still shopping...

Any "sleepers" out there in this price range?

An A-style seems like it would be louder (acoustically) - which might be better for recording, but I also sorta prefer the F-style in the looks department. Especially if I plan on going onstage with a Mando

I'm still learning about what mandos are good though, so if an F-style will give me good recording and non-gig projection, cool too!

definately don't overlook eastman's. the 515 (and the A style in the 500 series) are great values, and the only thing worse on them over the 600 series is the hardware and maybe the looks of the woods, but they sound good. make sure you play it first to hear that it sounds good as eastman's and pretty much all mandolins in this price range are really variable in projection and tone. even if gettng an MK, kentucky, whatever, play it first and hear it for yourself.
    "You may notice that I don't sound like Bill Monroe..." - Sam Bush

Another vote for an Eastman A style here.

One more vote for Eastman. I have the 505 model... and in all honesty, I will never sell this mandolin. Its loud, has very low action and sounds like some of the mandolins costing thousands more... and its a pretty decent looking mandolin too.

Blog Entries

A luthier I know has had some scary experiences with Michael Kellys, reporting some pretty poor construction quality and his reluctance to work on them. Given that, I'd encourage you to look for a Mid-Missouri or Big Muddy mandolin. These are very well made, simple instruments that feel good and sound great for the price. Plus, they're made in Missouri. #