Thread: Another what should i get

I know. I know. This has been surely been done more than afew times and I have searched many times and read many threads. I am about to pull the trigger on an Mt, but I keep getting nervous about making the right decision. Specificaly the Old wave at Gruhn's (among others) keeps calling to me, but I have never played an Old Wave. Curious about how the feel and playability of the two compare. I have played a couple of Mts. Also I know Mts are considered very consistent. So other than looks do I need to be sweating which one I order? Do you think the sounds are going to be real close? Any othr mandos I should consider in the under $2400 range? How does the old wave probably compare tonally? Playing one is not an option. Thanks for the help! My first new post by the way!

Quit thinking and pull the trigger-MTs rule. The only problem I had with mine was that my wife made me sleep on the couch for the first few nights after I came home with yet another new instrument.
    Mike Costello
    Long Island, NY

Blonde Collings MT
    Manuel Rodriguez Cedar Top Classical Guitar
    Taylor 414CE Guitar

pardon my ignorance...what is a MT ?

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

You can't go wrong with the MT (Collings MT)
    Living’ in the Mitten

Quote Originally Posted by (jimbob @ April 18 2008, 14:45)
    pardon my ignorance...what is a MT ?
    A Collings A-style mandolin which they call the "MT." THey have a great rep here on the Cafe for reasonably affordable and consistent quality with excellent tone, though the Old Waves are supposed to be excellent, also. Haven't played either, so other than quoted question, I'm pretty much useless here
    Chuck

MT is a great instrument. I have had two Collings mandolins and both great. I have a friend with an Old Wave, also a great instrument. I would give a slight not to the Old Wave for sound and slight nod to Collings for playability. You would not go wrong with either.
    Tony
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

I knew that......

The MT is a fine instrument but I've played the Old Wave at Gruhn's and I'd take it over an MT. I didn't spend a lot of time with it, but enough to know that I'd be happy to give it a good home. Playability is excellent and it's got the tone. The Web site description is not lying when it says it has "exceptionally fine tone."

I find this Old Wave clearly the nicer instrument, I have to say. It has a special design. Old Waves also have very good reputation and there are not that many than Collings. And this for about the same price. Can you send it back if you donīt like it? Then Iīd invest the money for the shipping costs and try it. I think itīs worth it to take the time.

Thanks for all the replys! Any one have an oppinion on how they compare as far as type of tone? I know roughly what the Collings sounds like. (It has been a while. Though I have hear clips recently.) Would classify the Old Wave as a more traditional bluegrass sound? I have heard clips and I really liked what I heard, but I know there are a ton of variables. Eric F you said it has the tone. Any chance you would dare try to describe it? Was it very loud? Tony you have played both brands any chance you would compare or describe the tonal difference. Also is the neck on the Old Waves very big? Is the shaope rounded or v? I know I should probably call Gruhn's and ask them some of these questions. I just want to get a little more info before I call anyone. If sounds anything like the David Long or Ezra Bussman clips I would be happy. Yeah right not in my hands! Thanks again for all the help! Any other suggestions in my price range? BRW? others?

Yes, call Gruhn's and ask them. They carry MTs as well. I've always found the staff there to be very helpful, especially if you are a legitimate buyer. I wish I could be more help. I remember the neck as more rounded than the Collings. I remember the tone had more complexity to it and just kind of jumped out at me. I remember thinking, "Wow, this sound really nice." But I played a bunch of mandos that day, so. ... I'd go down there and play it again gladly, but it's 3 hours away.

I play mostly bluegrass altough I like to get a warm pretty tone for fiddle tunes. So I want to be able to cut, but not really that smashing glass sound. I don't know if that helps. Any more thoughts?

I would say the warmer sound would be the Old Wave.
    Tony
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

The most consitent and complex, along with woody the MT.

Carleton, you can always get an MT later. #They are not hard to find. #Bill Bussman's mandolins are not as easy to get ahold of now that lots of people are after them. #I've owned an MT, an MF, and two of Bill's Old Wave A models. #I am a big fan of Collings, but for the extra $200, you've got a one of a kind mandolin made by a true American original, that will not lose much resale value at all. #I really miss my Old Waves, and plan to own another. #Tone wise, I found them to be pretty similar to the MT, and Bussman's playability is second to none, not even Collings. #I wish I had your dilemma. #Either way, you win. #Give Old Wave a try, you won't be sorry, and if you change your mind, somebody like me will buy if off the Cafe Classifieds when you sell it. #Frank

FJ Russell

Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas. E. Zapata

Don't know anything about the Old Wave, but it sounds like it's pretty impressive from the comments up above. I'm so happy with my new MT. Either way, it sounds like you're heading in a great direction.

All good points for sure. The one thing I'd think about is a real different feel between the two. Bill's mandolins have that hand made, one of a kind feel where an MT is an MT is an MT. I recently bought a new MT and it was amazing, great sound, playability and craftsmanship but it just left me cold so I sold it after a few weeks. I've had the pleasure of getting some extended time with Bill's instruments and they're quite the opposite, they exude soul. When I play an instrument the feel/vibe is becoming more and more important to me. Of course this is only my opinion and either would be great, but if you score on vibe too, the Old Wave has it all over the MT.
    PJ
    Stanley V5

Thanks again for all the help. I am leaning! I do really like the one of a kind, smaller shop aspect.

Hey PJ
    I think you summed up how I've come to feel about the MT. It's a great looking and great sounding mandolin. It's just doesn't give me that extra little intangible feeling that I'm looking for.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by (recon @ April 19 2008, 14:02)
    Hey PJ
    I think you summed up how I've come to feel about the MT. It's a great looking and great sounding mandolin. It's just doesn't give me that extra little intangible feeling that I'm looking for.
    then give the MT 2 or MT2V or MF or MF5 or MF 5 V or VD, there is something for everybody from Collings. I want their first vanished oval