Thread: The decemberists--is that a tc om?

flyfishermandolinist

I saw the Decemberists play on...I think it was Austin City Limits. Is that a TC OM? That band makes a good case for just strumming the thing. Anyone know any more about those guys? They're like a hipster band that plays a big mandolin and sings seafaring songs in black framed glasses. I like.

My apologies for posting this where I shouldn't have to you moderating types. I take your having deleted my similar post in "general" to mean that it was indeed poorly placed. I'm confident this is a better place for it.
    Weber Bitterroot mandolin
    Harmony CBOM Conversion

Strumming can be very cool. ONLY strumming is for dilettantes, or other people who either don't know any better or can't be bothered to apply their efforts to what doesn't come easy. I see this in lots of young rockish bands who have maybe seen Thile and think mando is impressive and new, but just don't __ get it.

s-i-g-n-e-d

curmudgeon

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

... or seen the Pogues...

But you do make a good point.

Thanks,

stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    http://cdbaby.com/Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers1
    There Was A Time
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers2

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Do you mean that?
    The headstock looks like a TC, but it's definitely too long for an OM - rather a zouk then. I pity the poor instrument, but maybe someday they'll tire of it and it might come into good hands. Someone should start an organisation named PETI - People for the Ethical Treatment of Instruments.

Bertram
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

TC bouzouki for sure. ~26.5" scale. Cast tailpiece upgrade, squarish. End is drilled out for an endpin jack. Good for him!

Quote Originally Posted by (bertramH @ May 06 2008, 06:37)
    I pity the poor instrument, but maybe someday they'll tire of it and it might come into good hands. Someone should start an organisation named PETI - People for the Ethical Treatment of Instruments.

Bertram
    Yeah, I mean, who do they think they are? They shouldn't be allowed to use that xylophone either. We can't have these youngsters experimenting with different sounds and different instruments. It just doesn't fit my supereor and elitest notion of how things should be!

W. S. Gumby
    Vintagized Rickenbacker 330
    Martin D15
    BroJo Cigar Box Tenor Guitar
    Apollo Octave Mandolin
    Recording King Resonator Mando
    Kentucky KM-300E

Quote Originally Posted by (wsgumby @ May 06 2008, 20:37)
    Quote Originally Posted by (bertramH @ May 06 2008, 06:37)
    I pity the poor instrument, but maybe someday they'll tire of it and it might come into good hands. Someone should start an organisation named PETI - People for the Ethical Treatment of Instruments.

Bertram
    Yeah, I mean, who do they think they are? They shouldn't be allowed to use that xylophone either. We can't have these youngsters experimenting with different sounds and different instruments. It just doesn't fit my supereor and elitest notion of how things should be!

W. S. Gumby
    There was a xylophone? Anyway, my point was not how the world should be canonically. I am not with Waldorf and Statler on the balcony.

Every instrument is designed for playing styles that make the most of it. I do approve of experimenting with new styles that make even more of it. But if someone just transplants another instrument's playing style because that is the only one he knows (one hammer, everything is nails) - not very interesting, IMHO, and therefore a pity, compared to what might have been.

Bertram
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

I guess someone should tell Willie Nelson that he's been using the wrong guitar.

Alex of the North
    (Eastman 604, Mid-Mo M2)

Bit of a disagreement w/Bertram: OM/bouzouki can be an effective rhythm instrument, even if all the player's doing is flailing away with a flatpick. You still get that tuned-in-fifths low-end sound.

This is an internal discussion I used to have about the harmonica, which is often played at the beginner/elementary level in pop records (see: Alanis Morisette, among others), just to get "that sound." As someone who plays the instrument quite a bit, even has taught it on occasion, I long for more technique, taste and skill. But on the other hand, I understand that what the artist wanted was the sound quality of the harmonica, even if played like a beginner. Used to be extensive critique and discussion of Bob Dylan's use of harmonica, sometimes compared to a sheep bleating. But Dylan knew what he wanted to hear.

So if the Decembrists just use the bouzouki to bang out rhythm, it still contributes. And we can feel smugly superior that we could have played it better. On the other hand, they've probably sold a helluva lot more recordings...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Good points both, Bertram and Allen.

I tend to the purist side of things myself, yet I too am guilty of exploiting instruments for their sound and vibe. Lately I've taken to playing melodeons and mostly play only right hand. If I can get the left going simultaneously it's great, but even just the melody played on a nice wet-tuned box has a great sound.

I think Allen pretty much said it for me, but I do have a couple more points. An audience taped video on YouTube is hardly the best thing to use to judge anybody's musicianship. If you heard the group's studio recordings you might be pleasantly surprised. They're a pretty good folky folk-rock band. To condemn them for playing what is basically a folk instrument seems a tad odd. These OM bouzouki whatzits are fairly new instruments and I think we should be happy that the instrument is gaining acceptance.

W. S. Gumby
    Vintagized Rickenbacker 330
    Martin D15
    BroJo Cigar Box Tenor Guitar
    Apollo Octave Mandolin
    Recording King Resonator Mando
    Kentucky KM-300E

Aqui hay un foto:

Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Love the Decemberists
    Collings MT
    Weber Gallatin Mandocello

Language is the armory of the human mind, and at once contains the trophies of its past and the weapons of its future conquests. -Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Quote Originally Posted by (wsgumby @ May 08 2008, 00:58)
    ...I think we should be happy that the instrument is gaining acceptance.

W. S. Gumby
    If that means less people will ask me what instrument that is I play - Yes, I would gladly accept that benefit.

Bertram

Quote Originally Posted by (allenhopkins @ May 07 2008, 22:01)
    ...But Dylan knew what he wanted to hear.

...On the other hand, they've probably sold a helluva lot more recordings...
    I see your point - whatever works for the musician is acceptable to him. I could contribute more examples - just remembering Ian Anderson and his flute. Or whatever classic violinists say about fiddles in OT, BG and ITM.

Apparently, it also works for their listeners. I won't condemn neither, I am just not one of them.

Bertram

I used to know Colin when he lived in Missoula. He fronted an alt/country band called Tarkio that we used to do some shows with. He would sometimes play a Rikenbaker mandolin, but he told me that he couldn't keep it in tune.
    It's nice to see a local boy make good.
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

I actually like the Tarkio material more than the new stuff..

What are you doing in N.C. mandorose?

Quote Originally Posted by (catmandu2 @ May 08 2008, 09:05)
    What are you doing in N.C. mandorose? #
    Suffering!
    Trying to sell my house so I can move back to Missoula!
    Suffering some more!!
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

I love the Decemberists! Let's hear it for Oregon music!

flyfishermandolinist

Funny, groveland, when I heard the tone I had the words "tailpiece upgrade" come through my head.

I've enjoyed reading this conversation. I'm more of a part orchestrator on mandolin than a blow-your-head-of-with-my-skill soloist, so I definitely appreciate the simplicity along with most of you guys. Obviously a lot more can be done with the instrument--I think I was more than anything just taken with the appearance of a big mando in a group that I think of as hip and somewhat mainstream. We'll all have to buy octave paired course pedal resonator steel citterns with sitar shaped bodies if we want to stay in obscurity now!

Also exploiting instruments for their sound and vibe,
    Tim
    Weber Bitterroot mandolin
    Harmony CBOM Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by (mandognome @ May 09 2008, 10:48)
    Also exploiting instruments for their sound and vibe,
    Tim
    Ha...that makes a great signature line.