Thread: Have you ever....

Have you ever met someone who still takes pride in his workmanship and believes in great customer service? I have! I had a slight problem with my Turkey Creek Mandolin. Since I was heading to Colorado for vacation anyway I contacted Brad and he said just bring it to him and he would look at it. He was most helpful and now my mando is as good as new. I also got to inspect some mandolins under construction in his shop. He has a blond with dark binding that is just lovely! If you are looking for a hand made mandolin I can't recommend Brad and Turkey Creek Mandolins enough.
    "Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence."

I love dealing with people like that. I've had some real beauties, of which I won't mention and I won't do business with them.
    "I love the smell of my mandolin in the morning. The smell, you know ... that varnish smell. Smells like victory."

Best I've ever dealt with is Herb Trotman @ Fretted Instruments in Homewood, Al.
    TJohnson

Registered Something good_ol_al_61's Avatar

Salleyann,

Does Herb still host the Sunday evening Bluegrass broadcast on UAB's radio station?

I always enjoyed his commentary between the songs.
    Al Henderson
    Jacksonville, FL

"Only two kinds of people never make mistakes: Dead people and people that do nothing!" [Al's Dad]

'81 Gibson F5L Fern, J Rowland
    '07 Arches A Style #11, "Hoss"

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Roger Bucknall of Fylde fixed my OM after a broken truss rod (that had been my fault) just for shipping costs.

Bertram
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Georgetown Indiana, Across the creek from Louisville KY.

Andy Poe did me up good and fast when I dropped #5 and broke the headstock scroll, even went above and beyond by installing a new nut and tweakin her out for me. Was gone a couple weeks.
    Bill Neely amazed me with his service, I had one of his mandos for about 5 years. Ended up breaking the neck on that one. Took it down to him in Virginia to get it fixed, 2 months later a brand new mandolin showed up on my doorstep with a note attached, he felt guilty cause he made the neck to thin so he built me a new mandolin exactly like the first and gave it to me no charge. Now that is service.
    Poe#5, Neely#72, Kentucky KM 150 (The Bagram Beater)
    http://WWW.myspace.com/easternskybluegrass
    http://www.myspace.com/darrintissandier

Blog Entries

I bought a Weber Beartooth a few years ago for a great price. When I got it, the nut was in really bad shape, the action was high with the bridge all the down. It was a mess. I sent it to Weber. They fixed it all up, at a ridiculously reasonable price and I had great communications with them. The neck ultimately wasn't a good fit for me so I moved it on but, that service experience has made me a Weber fan forever.

I think most of us who have worked with small builders could go on and on about how great the experience was. I'm no exception. My Flattop came from Australia. When I needed a higher bridge saddle as it adjusted to it's first year he sent me a new one, ASAP. He just wanted it to be right.

As far as internet shopping goes, the stores with a good reputation here that I've used have always been great. Clear communications, efficient, knowledgable staff, no complaints.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I have a Collings MT which is a wonderful mandolin. No problems to speak of but have heard of folks who say Collings were very easy to deal with.
    Mike Costello
    Long Island, NY

Blonde Collings MT
    Manuel Rodriguez Cedar Top Classical Guitar
    Taylor 414CE Guitar

I had multiple positive customer service experiences with Walt over at board sponosor Gypsy's Music. When I initially purchased my Vagabond from him, even though I was purchasing his base model, he spent a lot of time helping me decide on side & back wood choices, and I ended up being very happy with his recommendation. Also, he later upgraded my tailpiece two his new two-piece design, for which he gave me an excellent price on the parts and labor, and he had the audacity to suggest that he would pay for the shipping costs both ways. (But he was open to compromise, with me paying the to costs, and him paying the return costs
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

Professional Novice Chris Travers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by (salleyann @ May 07 2008, 11:26)
    Best I've ever dealt with is Herb Trotman @ Fretted Instruments in Homewood, Al.
    Yay Herb! My best friend Stephen Boyd took lessons from him. Herb taught him everything he knows, and now... Stephen is so good Herb can't teach him any more. I take lessons from Jason bailey @ fretted instruments. Awesome teacher!
    Spread the mandolin gospel!

Chris

My Blog: Mando-Learn

My Vimeo Page

Greg Boyd. I can't speak highly enough of his service, shop, customer care, and wealth of knowledge. He fitted a new bridge saddle for an old mandolin of mine and treated it like it was his own. Greg personifies quality customer service.

Another fantastic repair person who I can't recommend highly enough is Gail Hester. She did some work for me recently and went WAY beyond the call of duty to do it right. Not only are her mandolins world class, her repair and restoration work tops the list. Plus, she and her husband Chuck are two of the nicest people you'll ever have the good fortune of meeting.

I like threads like this that focus on the good things people do for the mandolin community.

Love to all,
    Ken
    Less talk, more pick.

Most small builders and some big vendors understand real business 101 which is all about great product, integrity, and great service. An easy and simple way to keep long term relations with whom they work with.
    I agree with Ken about how nice it is to read a thread like this. Applause Applause for all of those good folks who take care of our community! Thank you!