Thread: I just  got my mt!

Well actually I recieved it on Wednesday, but haven't wanted to stop playing it long enough to write about it. It sounds and plays really great. I am really impressed by it. I got it used fron MandoDan who was great to buy from. I think this will help me learn what I like in mandolins because I will have something I like to compare to when trying other instruments. I Feel like I got my moneys worth and then some. Any suggestions on differnt string types on this mando for differnt tonal effects? It seems to wake up after a few minutes of playing each time I pick it up. Sounds great on pretty tunes like moonlight waltz and on the more aggresive tunes. All in all it is just a lot of fun to play.

Blog Entries

I love those MTs. Its on my list.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Best bang for the buck...Because it's so nice, quality made and affordable...you aren't afraid to play it a lot and hard...Love my MT...I just J74's or EXP74's...I put a Edwards McClung armrest on and love that addition...

I have been interested in the McClung armrest. Is it easy to put on the Mt? Is there any risk of damging the insrument? (scratching etc.)

Piece of cake putting it on...Since your MT is satin finished and not varnished you are less likely to damage the instrument...I usually wait at least 6 months before putting anything on my varnished mandolins...Once I got the MT, BAM the McClung went on and haven't looked back since...There's a thread or two about the McClung's just do a search and you'll find it...

cool. Thank you I shall search.

Congrats, I have MF5 but still lust for a MT for me.

Out of curiosity. What makes you want another mt when you have the Mf-5 ? Is their some type of sound that the mt does differently. Just a less costly instrument you can take everywhere with less worry? Not that you have to have a clearcut reason. Having this one spurs some strange desire to get another one(perhaps blacktop?)

I'll toss in an opinion, not having an MF5, but another nice mandolin...I play my Ellis a lot, but also baby it too...I know some people on the forum hate hearing that...But the MT is awesome sounding, easy playing and one that I can take anywhere and not worry about it getting flamenco'ized (term from my classical guitar training)...I even let my 5 year old play with it hoping he'll get the bug too...

Thanks surfandstrum. I was wondering the same thing when I saw that you have an Ellis and an Mt.

Pics?
    "I love the smell of my mandolin in the morning. The smell, you know ... that varnish smell. Smells like victory."

I'll see i I can make some pics happen. I think mandoDan still has them on his site in the sold setion. It is the burst one, not the blacktop. It would be cool to put some here though. I was just playing it. Have to go back to it now!

Registered User Douglas McMullin's Avatar

Regarding the strings question; I absolutely love Thomastik starks on my MT. One and a while I will go back to J74's, but withing a week I have TI's back on there again. Worth a try if you like TI's.

Blog Entries

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tenorbanjoguy

"Gettin' by" with the imports!

still digging my MT... It kicked me back into the Bluegrass thang. Working on my Monroe licks. Semi obsessed...
    I guess that's what getting a new instrument will do. Especially an MT.... Enjoy yer new toy, Ctone.

Congrats on the new MT. I've had mine for about 10 months now and its starting to sound real nice. Regarding string choices-I like the EXP74s. Enjoy!
    Mike Costello
    Long Island, NY

Blonde Collings MT
    Manuel Rodriguez Cedar Top Classical Guitar
    Taylor 414CE Guitar

Registered User Chunky But Funky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by (Ctone @ May 04 2008, 17:36)
    Out of curiosity. What makes you want another mt when you have the Mf-5 ? Is their some type of sound that the mt does differently. Just a less costly instrument you can take everywhere with less worry? Not that you have to have a clearcut reason. Having this one spurs some strange desire to get another one(perhaps blacktop?)
    Englemann top & no $2000 strap thingy! #Proud owner of 2 MT's. #BTW, J74's for strings.

Doug

Red Penguin Rentals & Red Penguin Remote- High end outboard recording rentals (Pgh, PA)
    Mics from Neuman, Korby Audio, Royer, Sennheiser & EV and Remote Recording featuring Mac Computers, Metric Halo Interfaces, Pro Tools & Logic

"Cedar makes for excellent soundhole sniffing"
    Steve Miklas - Acoustic Music Works

It seems like the Collings MT is fast becoming the mandolin of choice for members of the mandolincafe. Maybe we should have our own section on the forum, MTcafe or something
    Mike Costello
    Long Island, NY

Blonde Collings MT
    Manuel Rodriguez Cedar Top Classical Guitar
    Taylor 414CE Guitar

Out of curiosity. What makes you want another mt when you have the Mf-5 ? Is their some type of sound that the mt does differently. Just a less costly instrument you can take everywhere with less worry?
    The MT is not as complex as the MF5 but the tone is of the same Collings quility, perfect! Also I like the Collings neck it plays like butter, and the MT and MF5 are the same. It would be the perfect travel mandolin for long and far away trips.

Registered User Chunky But Funky's Avatar

As far as I know, they are not the same. #MF5 has an Adi top and the MT has an Engleman top. #Engleman is preferred by several top players these days. #Some characteristics I've heard attributed to Engleman are warmer / smoother response with a shorter "break in" period. #Feel free to disagree if I'm wrong! # #I've said it before and I'll say it again: I've played them both side by side, and I prefer the MT regardless of price.

Doug

Red Penguin Rentals & Red Penguin Remote- High end outboard recording rentals (Pgh, PA)
    Mics from Neuman, Korby Audio, Royer, Sennheiser & EV and Remote Recording featuring Mac Computers, Metric Halo Interfaces, Pro Tools & Logic

"Cedar makes for excellent soundhole sniffing"
    Steve Miklas - Acoustic Music Works

Blog Entries

Got to collect the whole set!
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by (Chunky But Funky @ May 05 2008, 14:24)
    As far as I know, they are not the same. #MF5 has an Adi top and the MT has an Engleman top. #Engleman is preferred by several top players these days. #Some characteristics I've heard attributed to Engleman are warmer / smoother response with a shorter "break in" period. #Feel free to disagree if I'm wrong! # #I've said it before and I'll say it again: #I've played them both side by side, and I prefer the MT regardless of price. #

Doug
    Engleman sounds more open out of the box and as for the MT's price $4,000 that is great. But I have a MF5 almost three years old and opened up it is another world to explore and worth every cent. That's my 2 cents for today

PS I still think the MT is the best bang for the price!