Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: "theory"

There is "Theory", why you think certain notes or chords go together and then there's "Practice" where you play and actually hear how the notes and chords go together. I prefer Practice over Theory because it's more fun to play then to just talk about it and so far that's about all I see theory as being good for, talking about it.

I'd rather have my "Ear" for music and my ability figure things out that I hear then all the theory in the world.
    Theory is just a bunch of talk, for me music is playing, not talking. Don't care about the theory as to wether a certain chord is right or wrong to play with another chord or if you go from one chord to the next because of a theory, my ear will tell me if it's right or wrong.
    If that makes me "wrong" then fine, I'll be wrong and have fun playing music. In the end isn't that what it's really all about, having FUN. Reading some of what ya'll post about theory really takes a lot of the fun out of it for me. Sorry if that offends ya'll but that's my opinion on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by (TNFrank @ May 11 2008, 17:30)
    Reading some of what ya'll post about theory really takes a lot of the fun out of it for me. Sorry if that offends ya'll but that's my opinion on the subject.
    It doesn't offend that you're having no fun. It offends that you think the rest of us should stop having fun.
    Doug Hoople
    Adult-onset Instrumentalist (or was that addled-onset?)

Quote Originally Posted by (groveland @ May 11 2008, 16:22)
    Quote Originally Posted by
    Many of us strive to know enough music theory at a deep enough level that it comes back and informs our playing in a live setting... Easy to state the goal, a lifetime to achieve it, no?
    Exactly what I was trying to play in my last post. I am learning a lot of theory, but I have not yet reached the point where I can apply much of it to my playing as I want to, especially on the fly, off the top of my head. To be able to function that fast in theory, etc. seems like it will take many years. Still, I'm not discouraged, I will work until I reach the point where I want to be. Being a music major in composition next year should speed the process a bit.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man."

I think music theory is great to have and can help connect with musicians in a general setting, who may rely more on theory(even the rudimentary/commonly used I-IV-V chord progression stuff) than the blessed 'eagle ear' (see: Garcia's comment to Grisman on "the Pizza Tapes, great album BTW) that many a fortunate musician will possess. In the 'religion sense, I guess I'd tie it to a Christian who uses apologetics (theory) to help others better understand their faith (songs,music). Also I've tried to keep myself open to theory because I know it really isn't as difficult to understand and apply as I think it is.
    Ooh, he card reads good.

Quote Originally Posted by (doughoople @ May 11 2008, 19:34)
    Reading some of what ya'll post about theory really takes a lot of the fun out of it for me. Sorry if that offends ya'll but that's my opinion on the subject.
    It doesn't offend that you're having no fun. It offends that you think the rest of us should stop having fun.
    If you think theory is fun then knock your self out, I'm going to have fun actually playing my mando not just talking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by (TNFrank @ May 11 2008, 17:54)
    Quote Originally Posted by (doughoople @ May 11 2008, 19:34)
    Reading some of what ya'll post about theory really takes a lot of the fun out of it for me. Sorry #if that offends ya'll but that's my opinion on the subject.
    If you think theory is fun then knock your self out, I'm going to have fun actually playing my mando not just talking about it.
    Grant us that there might be practical use for the stuff you find tedious, and we'll grant you that you have a magnificent ear and don't need us.

Then leave us alone. I think we get your point.
    Doug Hoople
    Adult-onset Instrumentalist (or was that addled-onset?)

It's time for everyone to take a breather.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

"First, let me preface this by saying that it is not ment to offend or otherwise antagonize anyone."

The OP's opening statement.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. We still need to give this one some air.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by (doughoople @ May 11 2008, 19:56)
    Grant us that there might be practical use for the stuff you find tedious, and we'll grant you that you have a magnificent ear and don't need us.

Then leave us alone. I think we get your point.
    This statement just proves my point. You get all defensive when someone even hints at not needing "theory" to play well.
    All I'm saying is that I've been playing guitar, electric bass and now mandolin for over 30 years WITHOUT any formal theory and I've done just fine. Everyone that I've played for has said that I play well, I've played in bands and done well, I enjoy playing and I don't have to "worry" about wether a chord is suppose to fit with another chord or any of that stuff. I hear it, I figure it out, I play it, I have FUN. Music is really that simple, no need to bring science into it. If you like learning the "why" of music then great but not everyone needs to know the "why" to enjoy the "how".

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm in agreement with my co-Moderator on this. Whether or not we've reached a saturation point on this topic is certainly debatable, but we've now acheived some unnecessary hostility. This plus the fact that out of nine pages of exhaustive exploration, it would serve the community well to not have to dig through ten pages of these nuggets at once.

This topic also demonstrates the limitations of text and the internet; much of the discussion would be a fraction if someone had an instrument in their hand and these concepts could be demonstrated aurally. We have some frustrated folks who might learn more if this were so, but until then, let's break into small discussions and bring the topic up another day.
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin