Thread: Marty stewart, stuart duncan, katrhy mattea

Blog Entries

If you haven't heard COAL, Kathy Mattea's CD, its really worth a spin. It's not country music country music. Some of the songs have a kind of bluegrass feeling, others much more singer songwriter folk music.

Marty Stewart on mandolin - what a tastefull wonderful job he does on this - like best supporting actor on a movie, he contributes perfectly without calling attention. Really nice.

Stuart Duncan (Nashville Bluegrass Band, Cold Mountain) - on fiddle and banjo, magical.

And of course Kathy Mattea's strong unequivocal vocals.

My only complaint - I would have loved more instrumentals. I love whats there, but I wanted more.

If you are the kind of person who likes this kind of thing, you will like this one.

http://www.mattea.com/KathyMatteaCoal.html

A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I recently got a Kathy Mattea greatest hits collection. You forget how many great songs she has put out. Always tasteful arraingements,often with a folky sound. Have not heard this new album, but look forward to checking it out. You don't get any better mandolin picker than Marty Stuart. I saw Kathy live a few years ago, and she seemed so genuine and unaffected.
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

Blog Entries

I have played it four times through today.

Kathy Mattea does such a great version of that old song "Dark as a Dungeon" which I think dates back to Merle Travis, but might be just a traditional ballad. Anyway Kathy's version makes you want to listen, and not sing along. Its very moving.

Marty's feathery touches, and Stuart's on the fiddle, just fine fine stuff. Nothing in the slightest way pretentious or show off.

The entire staff
    funny....

Had the pleasure of seeing Kathy Mattea and her accoustic road band last night. Half the show was from the Coal album. Outstanding!

R

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Jeff, I believe Merle Travis recorded "Dark as a Dungeon" in the late 1940s. Jerry and Dawg covered it nicely on their "Been All Around the World" album, and Slobberbone did an electric version.

Truly a classic country song.
    Living’ in the Mitten

"Dark as a Dungeon" dates back to Merle Travis because Merle Travis wrote it. Kathey Mattea's recording is a wonderful one.

This is presently my favorite album. Great songs and muscianship- great mandolin content.
    Teri LaMarco
    Hear my music on Spotify (and other streaming services)
    https://open.spotify.com/album/2XBuk...SV24bnkZ2uC-hw

I went to see the Mountain Stage show in Ashland Kentucky last month and saw Kathy Mattea on stage for the first time. She can sing!! It was a show with a lot of great acts, and the sound was pretty good, but I had to listen for the words when people sang, until Kathy took the stage, then I could hear every word, every consonant, every low note and every high note.
    She did some stuff from the new "Coal" album, but it wasn't released yet so it wasn't at the record table, so I don't have my copy yet.

I was a little worried about someone other than Hazel Dickens singing "Black Lung."
    It's not that life is short, but that we waste so much of it.

--Seneca (paraphrased)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (Tighthead @ May 12 2008, 19:47)
    I was a little worried about someone other than Hazel Dickens singing "Black Lung."
    I know what you mean. When Hazel Dickens sings a song, it stays sung.

But Kathy Mattea was singer enough to do it, and a very creditable job she does.

The entire staff
    funny....

Just yesterday morning I heard an interview with her on the Bob Edwards Show (on XM) and she talked about trying to honor the song, Hazel, and Hazel's brother. She put in a way that I can really respect--an acknowledgment that she's telling someone else's story and the need to approach it with that in mind.

She came off as very humble and down-to-earth.
    It's not that life is short, but that we waste so much of it.

--Seneca (paraphrased)

She sang that song in Ashland, and also told the story of being on stage somewhere and seeing Hazel Dickens in the front row.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (Amandalyn @ May 12 2008, 08:42)
    This is presently my favorite album. Great songs and muscianship- great mandolin content.
    I played it continuously as I drove through central western PA this last week.

Very cool.

The entire staff
    funny....

Re: Kathy Mattea's cover of Black Lung;

I read an article about the recording of Coal, and Kathy was somewhat anxious about attempting the song and wanted another crack at it after the first take. Marty Stewart called her into the engineering booth where a technician whose father passed from black lung was in tears. So, according to this article, the cut on the album was done on the first take.

R

Martinsville, Indiana formerly of Brown County

The Country Gentlemen version of Dark as a Dungeon is anothe very very good presentation of the song....Charlie could certainly sing.......

Blog Entries

I just watched Woodsongs Old Time Radio Hour archive of Kathy Mattea doing the COAL album. Really great. Higher music to interview ratio (which I prefer), and while it wasn't the same band as on the album, the band was hot. #

The mandolin player played what looked like a Rigel two point A, but I need to check the headstock more carefully.

As an encore, Kathy did a couple of the country songs that made her fameous. You know what - live, with an all accoustic band, no drums, no post processing, I even kind of liked the songs.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Well, what can I add to this? I just had the wonderful experience of listening to Kathy (with Bill Cooley flatpicking guitar) on a stage at the Philadelphia Folk Festival trading songs with Jean Ritchie. I gotta agree with folks assessments of this CD. It's great. Really performed with conviction.

I don't know how many of you have spent any time in coal country, mine was pretty limited... a couple of semesters in college in a coal power plant and visiting a couple deep mines and leading a mission trip of kids from the UK to deep SW Virginia to help out some families with insulation and painting. I'm glad I've not been visiting any surface mines.

Here are two photos from this past weekend.
    Jean

Kathy

This set was my favorite of the weekend and I really enjoy the CD.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Folks, just a heads up, Marty's last name is Stuart not Stewart. It helps to find him when you google him.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

I haven't heard the whole album yet but after hearing her sing The L & N Don't Stop Here Anymore on Sirius radio I had to go home and start working it up immediately. That song insists on sticking in loop mode in my head if I don't sing it everyday.

Here's a video of Kathy tearing it up. The L & N Don't Stop Here Anymore

GVD
    GVD

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (jbmando @ Aug. 21 2008, 22:32)
    Folks, just a heads up, Marty's last name is Stuart not Stewart. It helps to find him when you google him.
    I know, I am really embarrassed about that. I get it wrong with every Stuart / Stewart I know. I had a student once whose last name was Steuart, and botched it both ways.

The entire staff
    funny....