Thread: F hole size

Making a new F5, and while reading Roger Siminoff's book, I came across this:

"Remember that increasing the size of the aperture.......will increase (raise) the resonant frequency."

To me that means the instrument will play with more treble, or "play higher". But, I could be wrong...again. Been a long time since I raised any resonant frequency.

Any assistance readily taken and appreciated.

I ALREADY CHECKED THE SEARCH, THANKS

Epi.

Actually, the size of the f-holes only slightly affects the sound. First of all, the relationship between the f-hole size and the "resonant frequency" is exponential, (or something) rather than being a direct relationship, so that it takes a big difference in f-hole size to make a small difference in "resonant frequency".
    It is the coupling of the main plate modes with the main air modes in the mandolin, more than most things, that determines bass response and loudness. For F5s, the best coupling is often achieved with bigger F-holes, so is some cases it can turn out that bigger F-holes will "play lower".
    Generalizations about things like F-hole size can be dangerous because all other variables of construction need to be considered to guess at what a different F-hole size might do, and any change is not likely to be drastic anyway.

Thumbs up

Thank you John,

Information very much appreciated.

Think I'll use the F hole size in his diagrams, then perhaps adjust, if necessary when it's strung up in the white.

All the reading I've done, seems to indicate that there are many more variables than f holes determining the final sound.

Good on ya.

Epi.

Quote Originally Posted by
    I ALREADY CHECKED THE SEARCH, THANKS
    The search can be tricky, but it pas to spend some time on it. I found this recent Thread without too much trouble. I searched "f AND hole AND size" and checked "from the beginning". It's not that I mind rehashing the same discussion topics every couple months, but some old threads (like the one I linked too) have a lot of good info you'd probably enjoy reading.

If the ffs start out on the small side, then opening them a little may help to make adjustments in graduation become more apparent as you execute them. Also, if you are using the Loar tone bar arrangement, you may notice a little more openness in sound when enlarging the upper end of the bass side hole, due to its proximity to that bar.

Stand facing close to a wall or window to reflect the sound when playing, to get an idea of what it sounds like out front.

Take your time, don't do it in one evening.
    ~Bill~
    "Often wrong, but never in doubt."
    --Ivy Baker Priest