Thread: Case covers

I am thinking about getting a case cover for my Collings. Who oout there uses them. Is it easy to get in and out of the case with them on? Do they fit very snug to the case, or are they kind of loose? It seems like I look at a case and it gets a mark on it. I am really trying to keep this one as close to mint as I can. (I know you are saying, "that is what a case is for.") I just don't want one more case that looks like it has been through hell, and I think it will help resale when it is time to upgrade. I also am planning to go to some festivals and figure that it will keep some of the sunlight off the black case which seem to heat up yo a million degrees in 10 minutes. From typing this out I think I have sold myself. Do You use one? They are not really inexpensive enough to be an impulse buy for me. Are they worth it? Are there any other brands besides Small Dog? If so What kind do you like?

I use a Colorado Case cover for my mandolin case. Works great. Nice case, just a little more expensive than Small Dog, but good. They come from the same place. Here's their website. http://coloradocase.com/mandolin-3.aspx
    Hope this helps.
    Susan
    Weber SE
    Hoffee Mandolin case

I like case covers. I think that while a case protects an instrument from impact, a case cover can add thermal protection. Also, as far a resale of an instrument, having the original case in good condition adds to an instrument's value. A case cover protects the case which is part of your investment. Further, a case cover can add a carrying strap that your case lacks.

I have a custom Colorado Case Cover for my Rigel case and a Wilson Triad triple tennis racket case for my shaped cases. I have to say that I actually prefer the tennis racket case approach, assuming you have a shaped case. It is a fraction of the cost and it disguises the instrument case, reducing pesky questions and theft risk. But if you have a rectangular case, the Colorado's are great also.

I've got a case cover for my Calton (a most generous gift from my brother!) but found the gymnastics required to get into the case with the cover on to be too much of a pain to warrant its use anytime other than on extended car rides to remote destinations (ie. never). #It is a Colorado Case cover, and although it is top notch in quality, it simply isn't very practical. #The problem is that is fits VERY snugly..making the release of the catches a 'peel back and open' affair (with the reverse when returning the instrument to the case). #Your mileage may vary!
    Andy Hodge

Windflite makes a good point. The cover should be "easy-on/easy off" to be practical. Both of mine are, but if they weren't, I could see where that would be a problem. Also, with a Calton, a person would really have all the protection they could ever hope for. The case cover might be overkill in that situation.

I've got a Colorado Case Cover for my Calton and a Small Dog for my American Vintage Series TKL case, and both covers fit snug like they're supposed to, but they do relax a bit over time, which is expected. Both covers were great buys and excellent quality. They both came with straps and outside pockets for more storage. Either brand is great and definitely worth the money to protect your case and mando!!!
    Molon Labe

This seems to be an American thing, I've played for thirty years been to thousands of sessions, folk clubs and festivals and I've never seen one yet in the UK.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Registered User Chunky But Funky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by (Dave Hanson @ May 15 2008, 02:46)
    This seems to be an American thing, I've played for thirty years been to thousands of sessions, folk clubs and festivals and I've never seen one yet in the UK.

Dave H
    Have you seen cases with the tolex worn through, plywood coming apart and then duct tape to hold the whole thing together? #I have. #That's why I have Small Dog case covers for all of my instruments. #They are an insulation barrier that further resist sudden changes in temperature / humidity and are waterproof to boot! #What's not to like? #

Doug

Red Penguin Rentals & Red Penguin Remote- High end outboard recording rentals (Pgh, PA)
    Mics from Neuman, Korby Audio, Royer, Sennheiser & EV and Remote Recording featuring Mac Computers, Metric Halo Interfaces, Pro Tools & Logic

"Cedar makes for excellent soundhole sniffing"
    Steve Miklas - Acoustic Music Works

I use a small dog on my Pegasus for several reasons.
    First of all Ohio has wierd temperature changes as well as
    humidity changes and the cover helps especially in severe temp changs. Secondly the Cover adds storage room for extra goodies, and third it protects the case.

But I will say sometimes I say bad words when I am in a hurry and trying to get it out.
    2014 Ellis F
    2012 Gibson F5G
    2012 Martin D18GE
    1990 Martin HD28V (custom prototype)

Four main reasons to use a case cover:

1) Protects the instrument from temperature changes, temperature extremes and rain/snow.
    2) Protects the case from dings/scratchs. Especially true of newer hightech materials which are very strong, but have a fragile surface, like carbon fiber.
    3) Provides external storage for easy and convenient access to things like tickets, cell phones etc.
    4) Offers alternative carrying methods like shoulder straps and backpack straps which.

Steve
    Colorado Case Company
    Colorado Case Company
    1713 East Lincoln Ave., Suite A6
    Fort Collins, CO 80524
    fax 970.266.1905
    www.coloradocase.com

I like having a case cover to carry it on my back when I am at festivals or walking downtown to buske (how do you spell that?). And it is nice to have pockets to put stuff in. Just be sure you take the case completley out of the cover before you try to take th mandolin out or the case could shut on the mandolin as you take it out...happened to me...ouch!

I got the Small Dog for Christmas. It fits my TKL F-Style case well and I like having the shoulder straps & additional pocket for music & stuff since my case has very little storage inside.

Dave

Good cases are expensive. I like to keep that shiny paint job on my Pegasus protected.....The extra storage comes in handy too.

Paint job, ? I thought it was Gel coat. 1st layer of resin into the mold,
    after the mold release, is pigmented.

For My wet weather transport I got a PVC/canvas Daypack with a rolltop closure.
    welded watertight seams, and shoulder straps ,

but with the Calton And the Pegasus Cases that's redundant the edge gaskets work fine to keep
    the interior dry, in wet weather haulage.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

FWIW, I have all my case covers made for me at Mooradian:

http://www.mooradian.com/Home.html

I called him just now to make sure, and they do have a number of patterns for Mandolin. You send them either a pattern or the dimensions, and the cost is around $125-$175, depending on whether they already have your pattern.

These are great case covers, believe me, very elegant, and last a lifetime. (and no, I don't work for them).

Blog Entries

The case covers are great when playing a festival, since the straps make it much easier when I have to carry two or three instruments and a tote-bag full of CDs as I walk from the camping area to one stage to another for sets and workshops. I've got Small Dog case covers for Randy Wood #1 and my H-2, and a Colorado Case cover for RW#3. The two covers are quite durable and seem about the same in protecting the instrument from rainwater and bumps, but the Small Dog cover has more conveniently-located attachment points for the strap, at least for the way I like to carry a mandolin. The Colorado Case cover is a little clumsier for me to carry, for that reason.

Anybody know where I could find a spare little strap-and-loop, to sew a new attachment point farther up on the Colorado cover?

Red

Red,
    look at http://seattlefabrics.com/ for abundant options, adding D rings to DIY cover materials.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (mandroid @ June 16 2008, 17:52)
    Red,
    look at http://seattlefabrics.com/ for abundant options, adding D rings to DIY cover materials.
    Thanks!

Red

Destroyer of Mandolins

One thing about preserving the value of original hardshell cases (for their resale value). #If you're really interested in protecting that investmnt, the best thing to do is store the original case safely away and get a second, equally high quality case and case cover. #After all, a case is the box we carry things in, and even with a case cover the daily grind will wear a good original case. #Case covers usually offer little additional protection against crushing blows. While a good case will protect the instrument in that situation, the case is going to take the damage. #And too, while original hardshell cases can add to the value of what will hopefully become a vintage instrument, such cases are not necessarilly the best cases available. They're valuable because they are the original that came with the instrument and may have the maker's name embossed on them or be otherwise unique and identifiable.

Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user