Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gaspar sanz

Registered User gordonjackson83's Avatar
    The medieval town of Sandwich, Kent, England.

Default Re: Gaspar sanz

Many years ago I came upon a transcription of Canarios (melody only, six parts) that was considerably simpler than the Sanz version. I remember it saying that it was a traditional tune from the Canarys, implying Sanz took it, arranged it and composed variations on it - and a fine job he made of it. Of course, I absolutely cannot remember where I got it. Has anyone else heard that this specific tune (not the tune type in general) was originally traditional?

https://youtu.be/L-sVpZUJleo

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wpciloetrg...o-tab.pdf?dl=0

X: 1
    T: Canarios
    R: jig
    M: 6/8
    L: 1/8
    K: Dmaj
    |:de|fef gfg|f3 edc|Bcd ~edc|1 d3d:|2 d3|
    |:fgf|efe ded|cdc AGA|Bcd efg|1 f3:|f2ddA2|
    |:B2B c2c|d2dzF2|G2GA2A|F2DDA2|
    B2B c2c|d3za2|g2ga2a|1 d2ddA2:|2 d2ddzz|
    |:dB=c BAG|F3Fze|fgf edc|d3d2z:|
    |:dcd cdc|BcB ABA|BAB AGA|F2DDzA:|
    |:dcd efg|f2fzzd|Bcd cdc|1 d3dzA:|2 d3d2||
    Last edited by Simon DS; Dec-15-2022 at 7:23am.

Quote Originally Posted by gordonjackson83 View Post
    Many years ago I came upon a transcription of Canarios (melody only, six parts) that was considerably simpler than the Sanz version. I remember it saying that it was a traditional tune from the Canarys, implying Sanz took it, arranged it and composed variations on it - and a fine job he made of it. Of course, I absolutely cannot remember where I got it. Has anyone else heard that this specific tune (not the tune type in general) was originally traditional?
    I have not, but the dance was so ubiquitous in the 1500 and 1600s, it's hard for me to imagine Sanz was any different in his setting of a melody to that rhythm than any others. Also, Sanz's original is a series of 15 repeated couplets, each couplet being essentially a different melody (a variation) on the rhythm and his chosen chord progression. I suppose any one or few might coincide with an indigenous melody, but all 15 and in that order?

What Sanz wrote is almost always augmented by additional repetition, incorporating rasgueado, etc.; i.e., Sanz's original is a bit briefer than what's typically heard on recordings. Weirdly, in reviewing my recordings of the piece (at present, I have 13), there aren't any that play the piece exactly as written. Most augment, inventing couplets based on the chord progression or rearrange their sequence. Julian Bream comes closest to a faithful realization, only differing from the original tablature in omitting the indicted repeat of each couplet. He does so in 1:05 on modern guitar and 1:25 on 5-course (Baroque) guitar, implying approx. 2:10–2:50 to realize the tablature exactly as written.