Thread: Information about a 1935 gibson a1?

Greetings All,
    I'm a newbie here, and in all honesty, not a mandolin player. #That's why I'm looking for help learning about an instrument I inherited recently. #I contacted Gibson with the serial number and photos, they tell me what I have is a 1935 Gibson A1 mandolin. #Everyone I show it to gasps and says "wow! what a find!" #I want to learn what's so special about this gem of an instrument. #I'm trying to attach one of the photos, it has been cleaned and re-strung since the photo I have here. #It's all original and I'm told it has a really nice sound (I just know it sounds great when someone who knows what #they are doing plays it!). #

Thanks in advance for any education you can offer me. #Oh, I'd also like to know if I should get any special insurance coverage on it, if so, how much? #Thanks!

Paul

Hi, welcome to the cafe. Could you possibly post a few pictures of your mandolin?
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Yes, sorry, I didn't do that correctly the last time, hoping I get it here. #I've published some photos to my Picassa page, hoping that's okay.Paul's mandolin pictures.

By chance do you still have the original case? It will be worth more with it no matter what the condition was. Also, what did you use to clean it? Are there any words engraved on the metal tailpiece cover (the part on the lower part of the top where the strings attach)?

--M. Stillion

--J. Garber

I'm not sure that bridge is original--straight bone or plastic saddle on it. A well-fitted ebony bridge like it should have would probably improve the tone. Nice looking mandolin, though.

Quote Originally Posted by (BlueMountain @ May 19 2008, 09:28)
    I'm not sure that bridge is original--straight bone or plastic saddle on it. A well-fitted ebony bridge like it should have would probably improve the tone. Nice looking mandolin, though.
    I think it's a wooden bridge with no plastic or bone, you're seeing a reflection. I don't understand why it's not compensated. I think it might be a non-Gibson replacement but I could be wrong.

--M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Here is a 1939 that Elderly has for sale. The Elderly model looks original. They don't have a closeup of the bridge. I don't think the bridge on the 35 is original and the tailpiece is questionable as well. I don't have by reference books here with me to verify the tailpiece but I think they were using the Waverly Cloud tailpiece by 1935. I could be wrong on both counts.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

The bridge is not Gibson. Looks like a Kay/Harmony bridge but photos are not that clear. The TP could be original, again fuzzy photos. Clamshell TP starts around 1940.
    While I praise Gibson for making mandolins today I do not have faith in their ability to date a vintage model either over the phone or by email photos. They have been wrong many times espeically on those doubled up 60's numbers. What is your stamp number including the red penciled one?
    Let's be sure you are looking at a 1935 model.

Quote Originally Posted by (MikeEdgerton @ May 19 2008, 09:28)
    By chance do you still have the original case? It will be worth more with it no matter what the condition was. Also, what did you use to clean it? Are there any words engraved on the metal tailpiece cover (the part on the lower part of the top where the strings attach)?
    Hi,
    Thanks for your input. #The word "The Gibson" is engraved on the metal and the word Gibson alone is on the head. #

I have the case we found it in, and the one which I suspect my wife's great uncle bought it in. #That case is a brown "leather-like" covered hard case, though it doesn't offer much protection inside, rather, the instrument just floated in the space. #That #case is labeled "Geib, Inc. #Challenge, Chicago, Trade Mark" -that's all embossed in the bottom of the case.

I took this to a local shop and the guy there said he thought this looked to be all original.

On the other question about cleaning, I didn't do the cleaning myself, I had a good friend who is a stringed instrument fan do the cleaning. #He used pure lemon oil and a soft cloth on most of it, he did use a #0000 steel wool on the frets themselves.

I welcome any further feedback you may have. #I seem to gather that the 1935 model was the first of a new or revised model that changed since 1934. #Any thoughts on that?

Hard to tell more until we know for sure you have a '35 A1.
    That factory order number in the lower F hole will tell the tale and then we can tell you all about it.

Quote Originally Posted by (f5loar @ May 19 2008, 19:57)
    Hard to tell more until we know for sure you have a '35 A1.
    That factory order number in the lower F hole will tell the tale and then we can tell you all about it.
    916A - 18 [first number looks like a 9 with an underline, the "-18" is handwritten in red ink.]

and this from Gibson:

"Hello,

Thanks for emailing the photos!! The mandolin appears consistent with a 1935 A-1. The serial number that you provided is consistent with the numbers used in 1935. Furthermore, the specs from the mandolin are consistent with a post 1934 A-1.

Best regards,
    Vincent

Vincent Wynne
    Gibson Customer Service
    1.800.4GIBSON
    service@gibson.com"

That's an easy one. It is a 1935 and the 18th one of that 916 batch. Since '35 is way before the war production started downward still coming out of depression but they still maintained high low end models production for schools and beginners. Around 200 A-1s made in 1935 as compared to about 5 F5 models made in 1935. A few dozen F7s and even fewer F10s and F12s. The other models like the A-00, A-50 and A-75 had similar production to the A-1 in 1935 while the A-C/Century oval hole model had very limited production.

The tailpiece is probably original, they went to the clamshell in 1937. The bridge is still suspect but the rest looks original.

--M. Stillion

--J. Garber