Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kentucky vs. eastman

I bought a KM150S in 2001 or so and it was made in China. That was I think the first or second year after moving from Korea. It is a playable instrument that stays in tune and was made ok. Good for a $200 starter.
    Scot
    Bloomington, IN
    http://www.thebloomingtones.com/ (The Bloomingtones Website)
    The Bloomingtones MySpace Site (The Bloomingtones Website)

We own 2 Korean Kentucky mandos. really good mandos after a couple of bridge modifications. I also have played many Eastman mandolins. All I can say is there are many import mandos out there. Go play them and let that be your selling point. I know that the Kentucky's have gotten a lot better since the initial changeover to China. The import market is good due to the fact there are so many out there wanting you to by their mando. I would have to recommend the Kentucky or the Eastman as from what I have heard, they are consistently good mandos for the price. IMHO.

I can only compare the Eastman 815's to the newer Kentucky KM1000 or KM1200. The Kentucky wins hands down on sound and quality and looks but they are little more money.
    While both these top end models are good enough for "pros" to use they are still the best bang for the buck going.

Thanks there, Tom. Now you tell me.

I went to a festival over Memorial weekend. I took my Eastman 515 F. There was a guy in our jam circle that had a Kentucky 1000. Some in the circle said the Eastman sounded better. Others said no - the Kentucky was better. They walked around and listened from different angles and distances. Suddenly we had a small experiment going on! Some swore by the Kentucky. Some swore at the Kentucky. Which says to me that our ears and tastes are all different. What may be right for one person, is not right for the next. That experience showed me that at least in our little jam group, there were no absolutes when we started comparing items that were priced in the same ball park. It just came down to personal opinion. So we can go on and on with this thread but we won't prove anything. The Kentucky group will stand by their brand, the Eastman group will stand by their brand. No rights, no wrongs. Just happy people making happy music. Life is good.

I never really knew how any of my mandos sounded until I heard them from in front with someone else playing.

I recommend that when buying. Don't just play yourself, get the store guy or a friend to play for you too, and listen to the instrument from the point of view of a gig victim.

Blog Entries

pager is right. This is the Chevy vs. Ford thread. I have had very positive and some negative experiences with both brands. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...a rolling stone gathers no moss...a stitch in time...
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tenorbanjoguy

"Gettin' by" with the imports!

I have a km 1000. I can't say that I have heard any Eastman's. I bought the Kentucky because I was trading a guitar and the store only had the Kentucky or a Weber Yellowstone that was more expensive than the guitar. I wasn't too excited about spending $4000 for an instrument that I had never played before (new to the mandolin) so I bought the Kentucky. My instructor has said that he thinks it has very good tone (I think he was a bit shocked). I would guess that this issue depends on which models you are comparing and even more on each individual instrument. Interesting debate though.

Quote Originally Posted by (tenorbanjoguy @ May 30 2008, 11:17)
    pager is right. This is the Chevy vs. Ford thread...
    Well, at least nobody has said "Friends don't let friends buy Kentuckys" or anything like that.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Blog Entries

I wonder if pager and the Kentucky owner had traded picks (assuming they were different), if any of the listeners would have changed their preference.
    Just when I got a paddle, they added more water to the creek.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (MikeEdgerton @ May 30 2008, 07:48)
    Quote Originally Posted by (tenorbanjoguy @ May 30 2008, 11:17)
    pager is right. This is the Chevy vs. Ford thread...
    Well, at least nobody has said "Friends don't let friends buy Kentuckys" or anything like that.

Sounds like a series of case stickers Mike!!

Have A Nice Day!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tenorbanjoguy

"Gettin' by" with the imports!

I wanted to chime in about the Epiphone option: I own an MM30 and find it quite adequate for most playing. I have compared it to the MM50 and find virtually no difference. Both will need a good set-up and even a bridge replacement (the bridge that came with my MM30 was very cheap). I would definitely go for an Eastman 500 series before buying an Epiphone MM50. The MM30 is a decent value.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

One more point: A pre-owned, but like new condition Eastman 505 just sold on Ebay for only $440 and that included the Eastman case and free shipping. You don't have to spend more than the cost of an MM50
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Ok I have to put my 2 pennies in. I don't post a whole lot because I don't know a whole lot and I don't post about things I don't know about. But I do know a little about this. I a/b'd a LOT of mandos before I bought my Eastman 515. The lower end Kentuckys weren't even close. There was a KM 855 on the wall next to the Eastman I bought that was pretty comparable in quality and tone but I liked the 515 better. Didn't get to try a higher end Kentucky than that but would assume it would be as good or better. High end Morgan Monroe and MK Dragonfly were good but just didn't do it for me. And for the price I really wanted to like them. Played a JBovier tradition that was up there with the 855 and 515. Oh one other point. There were two Eastman 615's on the wall also that I could have bought. I still opted for the 515. So to wrap it up... I think the question would be easier to answer if it were "What do you think of high end Kentuckys compared to Eastmans". OK go ahead and heap fires of coal upon my head. I'm through with my monthly post. OH ONE MORE THING about the earlier mention of "budget" mandos..I've also played and one day hope to own a Weber. Not bad for a budget mando.(to someone that owns a Gibson MM) get my point?
    ......Jeff

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Well, I'm late here but I'll chime in because I own both. The workmanship on my Eastman md615 is a cut above the km855. The binding work, carving and finish are just better. Having said that, the KY has a better BG tone. I think that the Eastman is slightly louder. I've also played a KY km850 that I thought had a nice BG tone, for the money. They are basically the same instrument with different ornamentation.

Often with Eastmans, the lower priced models (505, 515, etc) sound as good as the higher priced "spread". I don't think that's the case with Kentucky. I think that the more you pay, the better they sound, as a rule. These are my observations, yours may be different. There are always exceptions to the rules.

As to "get a Collings!"--well, I'm looking.
    Living’ in the Mitten