Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vana mandolin f5 master model

And last some...

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Tomas,

I didnīt catch your appearance at the EWOB-festival in May. Too bad. I hope you had a good time there.

I really like the Vana looks. There are quite an amount of good luthiers in the Czech Republic. Itīs too bad that they are flying low and keep under the radar most of the time. That means other than in your country and to view outsiders these builders stay unknown. I have heard about a "Novotny" mandolin that reportedly sound good (lives with the mandolin player of Lusatian Grass). I have heard only good things about the Holubek mandolins (for the non Czech folks on the cafe - like me - Pavel (?) and Ondra Holubek build mandolins and (resonator) guitars of extremly nice quality), well of course there are guys like Janish, Lebeda and such but thereīs a bunch out there that would be considered boutique builders were they wider known.

Unfortunately I was unable to make it to Caslav this year.

Well, still Iīd like to hear a soundclip of that Vana mandolin (if possible back to back with that Derrington F 5).
    Olaf

Just to avoid misunderstanding. The finish of this mandolin is not lacquier but french polished oil/varnish finish. (or what to express it in English : -) Varnish is carefully applied by hand with little brush, NO spray method is used. It is the same technique that has been used by top violin makers. Mr. Miroslav Vana provides ALL his instruments with this type of finish.

Guys,

it surely is interesting to read about certain instruments. What tickles me though is that there are a load of good luthiers out there in the Czech republic. I therefore wish to be instructed more about the czech luthier (and bluegrass music) scene.

Let me say thus. You czechheads have a great thing going. Even before the fall of the Iron Curtain have you performed bluegrass music and because of the lack of its instruments have developed a healthy luthery culture. Let it all be known outside your own country and let others (like me) take part in your experience.

Maybe you could take this wish a little farther and start a thread about czech lutherie itself (like "show us your czech mandolins") and music culture (like "czech bands of note").

Iīm still waiting for some sountbytes.
    Olaf

grassrootphilosopher:

Soundbytes will be available as soon as I prepare recording setup. At the moment I'm too busy. So please be patient :-)

that mandolin is insanely attractive!

It's great to see the reaction of cafe members to this simply elegant mandolin. I've said it before and I'll say it again... the Loar F5 mandolin might be the most beautifully designed instrument in the world of string instruments. Now I KNOW I'm gonna get flack for this! #

Quote Originally Posted by
    It's great to see the reaction of cafe members to this simply elegant mandolin. I've said it before and I'll say it again... the Loar F5 mandolin might be the most beautifully designed instrument in the world of string instruments. Now I KNOW I'm gonna flack for this!
    ...not from me brother

Wow
    Kasper
    Wisdom shared is wisdom doubled

Eastman 805
    12 string 20's mandolin
    Kentucky ???

Beauty! Very "Loarish" looking top to bottom. I think I just found the color of my next 2 F5's.
    I usually don't like them real dark,but dark looks very classy on this mando, and I like the center of the burst being bright, good contrast
    Shalom,Yonkle (JD)

Hello, I'm a Japanese mando player and this Vana F-5M's owner.
    I ordered Mr.Vana only to build exact replica of the '23 Lloyd Loar
    without "The Gibson" logo. Surprisingly he accomplished it, the beautiful appearance and the sound.
    I owned and played a lot of professional use mandos till now, but I think this Vana F-5M is the best axe for me.
    In my opinion, Mr.Vana,who should be evaluated more highly.

I would love to get my hands on a Vana. I think he would be more evaluated if he had more of a presence in the USA. But I was totally unaware of this builder until this thread. Butcongradualtions on a great looking mando!
    "Because of you I close my eyes each time I yodel"

Very nice work. If it sounds as good as it looks.....killer!
    Five

Just beautiful.
    Tony
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

If I were to order a custom made mandolin right now, I would seriously consider Mr. Vana. I would only like to hear one. His workmanship looks impressive.
    A couple of mandolins
    A couple guitars
    An Upright Bass
    Some banjos
    Wax Paper over a comb
    A Loar era Didjeridoo

"I Never Wanted To Be A Barber. I Always Wanted To Be A Lumberjack !"

Hi, I was asked to post here these pictures taken by Nagomi.
    There is his new Vana F5 mandolin accompanied by some other great mandos of his collection. Enjoy!

Wow. That's a pretty impressive group right there.
    Heiden F-5 #110
    GMC Terrain VIN 2GTEC13Z871107423
    2007 Tempurpedic mattress
    $1.35 in assorted change

ok, no fair.
    Krishot A5

Ouch, that hurts to look at those five beauties.

HONKING good -- what a wonderful worldwide thread -- and gorgeous mandolins.

bg

Now Hajid,
    explain to us freaks the tonal differences and similarities of the grouping.

nagomi,
    how in all the world does a guy from Japan get informed about a guy in the Czech Republic that builds mandos? (I about have quite a story myself about another builder) And by what comparison do you go when you make your statement. Inquiring minds want to know.

Did I say that Iīd like to have a soundclip?
    Olaf

A serious case of MAS the seems to be getting worse.
    Those Vana's are dead on it. I wonder what Loar he took apart to build them like that. Even got the side bound too.

I had tried the brand new Vana F5 mando owned by nagomi at mandolin workshop in Prague before the instrument was sent to him.
    I was astonished by its sound and visual qualities. Therefore I took some pictures of it and posted them here.

grassrootphilosopher: As far as I know mr. Vana had been advertising one of his F5 mandolins last year at the Cafe and nagomi was interested in it. Finally he ordered the F5 you can see here. I haven't played those particular mandolins showed in the pictures so I cannot pass any judgement. All these beautiful mandolins are in Japan in the personal collection of nagomi. He didn't know how to post them here so I was asked to do it on behalf of him.

My MD went wrong and hasn't been repaired yet and I cannot afford to buy another recording device right now. I talked about it with Miroslav Vana and he promised to record some soundclips for his new website. Be patient please : -) #

f5loar: Suppose you are an accomplished mandolin player with vast knowledge of the mando sound.
    I wish you could try one of recent Vana mandolins personally and base your attitude on them on personal experience.

Hajd:At first I thank you very very much for posting pictures instead of me.
    grassrootphilosopher:The opportunity that I knew Mr.Vana was just what Hajd wrote.
    I am not a collector, only an amateur mando player. But fortunately, I was able to have opportunities to try great mandos such as Gilchrist, Duff, Cliff Sargent, Apitius, of couese some great Gibson F's and more till now. All mandos are splendid,and hard to acquire the superiority. But in my opinion, my new Vana F-5M is most resemble to Loar F-5 all over the sound and appearances.
    Please try Vana mandolin if you have an opportunity. You will be surely satisfied with it.

Good pickin'
    nagomi

That's a nice mandolin, both the A and the F. How's the sound? Do you have any soundclips?