Thread: Jethro burns

I just discovered Jethro Burns....that is, I listened before, but I wasn't ready to really listen. I'm hooked, he's great.

What can you tell me about Jethro. How did he influence you and your playing? Also, what other players have been influenced by him?

And now for today's weather....sunny, with a chance of legs

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." - Abraham Lincoln

I didn't know what he was all about until i got Back to Back. I really like it because it is Jazz. I like his brand of Jazz.
    Without Love in the Dream it will never come true.

I can't remember when I first heard Jethro but I was hooked from the first note. I eagerly sought out everything I could find, even the old Homer & Jethro comedy records. I got to see him twice and took a workshop as well. I love all things "Jethro".

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

Jonathan, if you go to John Baxter's great Mandozine site, you will find a a new section in the third column ("new" marked in red) devoted to Jethro Burns. You will find a lot of transcriptions there of Jethro tunes. If you (or anybody else) feels like transcribing some new Jethro tunes to add to the section, feel free to do so, it will be warmly appreciated.

Our very own, the great Don Stiernberg was Jethro's good friend and protege. Not only did he learn the ins and outs of Jethro's playing, but he tells Jethro's stories Jethro's way, too.

We're lucky to be the on the receiving end of everything that Donny learned from Jethro!
    Doug Hoople
    Adult-onset Instrumentalist (or was that addled-onset?)

Here is my favorite Jethro finding on the internet, these recordings have kept me busy for many years. #I learn something new and cool everytime I dig into them. Thanks to Rob Coleman, Jim Nikora, and anyone else who may be responsible for posting these recordings.....of course Jethro too.

http://www.robcoleman.com/jethro/index.html#downloads
    Stephen K. Miller

I had the supreme privilege of being in attendance of the one and only weeklong workshop that Jethro gave at the Augusta Heritage Workshops in Elkins, WV in the mid 1980s. He is a real hoot. I think he didn't want to return because there was not quite enough drinking. BTW Lorraine Duisit (mentioned in a recent thread elsewhere) was his assistant in the class.

Jethro was a great player and a real character. Among his favorite players was Django Reinhardt and Joe Venuti. He spent the better part of an afternoon telling Joe Venuti stories.

My favorite album of his was "Tea for One" where he mainly played chord-melody solos.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Check out "Playing it Straight".
    It's not that life is short, but that we waste so much of it.

--Seneca (paraphrased)

Jethro was way ahead of his time as the sizzling hot mandolin player on the budget bin buster "down yonder" by Wade Ray and the country fiddlers.
    I think that mandolin work had quite some influence on the "modern" bluegrass mandolin players of the 70s.

Jethro had a loyal fan and student named Sam Bush, if that might be any indication of his influence.

Lately I've been reading the "Jethro Speaks" columns in the backs of issues of Mandolin World News and they are hilarious. I'm laughing out loud as I go through them!

And to think I am basically totally unfamiliar with his music! Sounds like i've got great stuff to look forward to if I can get my hands on it.

Z
    Member since 2003!