Thread: String theory

Howdy all,

This is in regard to my first "from scratch" instrument, a mandola with a 16.05 scale length. I have a d'addario J76 set on, .015, .025, .035, .052. The g d' a' strings all sound well in balance: they're "live" with lots of sustain, tension-wise they're soft(a good thing) compared to my mandolins. But the c string is "loose as a goose" and doesn't have the same "character", "presence", "liveness", not bad, but just on the same level. I did the calcs, using d'addario's string tension formula: T = (UW x(2 x L x F)sq) /386.4 and got these numbers: c = 25.09, g = 25.98, d' = 29.08, a' = 25.73. The numbers suggest the d' string is out of balance, but that's not what my ears or fingers are telling me.

So, the strings are done wore out, I have to decommission it, and refinish(that's another story) and get me some new strings. I'm thinking of buying another set of J76's and separately maybe something like .056 for the c strings. Can I buy (ball end)guitar strings and adapt them, or maybe something else? Your thoughts, thanks.

bennyb

Sure, try the 0.056 strings. JustStrings will sell you single LOOP END strings of that size. (Though I think that's the size I've had backordered there for a couple months.) http://www.juststrings.com/phospho....gs.html

Thanks for the link, Blue. I had been to their web site, but got sidetracked onto a different path a couple pages up from your link.

bennyb