Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nolan faulkner

I have a 1976 record on Old Homestead called "The Legendry Kentucky Mandolin of N.F." I really love his playing and the sound he gets out of his Gibson Three-Point. I know there's one other album on Old Homestead with a guy named james Miller. I'm wondering if anyone, especially you folks in the Kentucky/Ohio area know anything about Nolan Faulkner.

Nolan was a friend of Wendy Miller, I believe. Wendy played on arguably the best Bgrass album ever by Larry Sparks.
    "Bluegrass Old and New" Old Homestead label. That's about all I can tell you. Wendy gives credit to Nolan on one of the "Mike Lilly, Wendy Miller" albums too
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Yes, I recall the Wendy Miller/Mike Lilly connection. I wonder if Wendy and James Miller are related. It's amazing how little info there is about this guy who played a style of mandolin different form Monroe's but just as commanding. Listening to cuts like "Gypsy Girl" and "Bluegrass Morning" off his solo record, you can hear a brilliant and singular mandolin style - a unique sense of timing, blinding speed when he needed it and a heavily blues-influenced sound.

Default Re: Nolan faulkner

James and Wendy were good friends but not related, Nolan and James played alot togeather in a group called The Miller Brothers

I'm reviving this old thread to, once again, see if I can dredge up any info on Nolan Faulkner. For those who don't know this great player, he is a unique bluegrass stylist, on the same plane as Monroe or Jesse McReynolds. Since he only recorded one obscure album ("The Legendary Kentucky Mandolin of Nolan Faulkner", Old Homestead) he will never be given the same stature as either of those more prolific players but he had his own thing going on mandolin, in a bluegrass context. His playing is full of blues licks and is extremely soulful. He also made a couple of guest appearances on albums by James Miller, also on Old Homestead.

I'd love to find out more about him or if there are any other recordings. If you like the blues influence in Monroe's playing, you owe it to yourself to check out Nolan Faulkner.

He's on the Bluegrass Sounds of the Miller Brothers I found on a quick search.

Didn't he do something with Dempsey Young and them?

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    Didn't he do something with Dempsey Young and them?
    Not that I'm aware of.

He recorded a cool waltz in Bb on that LP. Forget the name of it at the moment...but worthy of a listen & learn. Great exercise as well.

Just found my LP...it was "El Dorado Waltz" in Bb.

...and Nolan's hat is killer in the cover photo!

Man..thats a name from the past. Sorry I dont have anything on him.

I have just become friends with a guy in Michigan on Facebook. I noticed a pic of he and Nolan performing together. I mentioned it and he responded by didn't elaborate. I'll prod for more info and let you know.
    Shelby

I have known and played with Nolan many, many times, though I have not heard, or seen him lately. He lives in Detroit area, and is somewhat of a legend. I believe that album with the crazy hat was recorded at Dana Cupps house in Warren.Nolan is a big Monroe fan, but also drew inspiration from blues, jazz, and gypsy music. I think I recall in one conversation with him he told me it starts around Monroe, but wanders outward even to arabic musics. A genuine character. I can't recall the name of the song, but he wrote one that was very heartfelt and profound lyrically, after he woke up in the hospital, from being shot several times. John Morris from Old Homestead should be able to help anyone in info concerning Nolan. I am going to try to find the name of that song from a friend still in Detroit.
    Mike Marrs

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mandolirius View Post
    ...different form Monroe's but just as commanding...you can hear a brilliant and singular mandolin style - a unique sense of timing, blinding speed when he needed it and a heavily blues-influenced sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by mandolirius View Post
    ...Nolan Faulkner...his playing is full of blues licks and is extremely soulful...If you like the blues influence in Monroe's playing, you owe it to yourself to check out Nolan Faulkner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martian View Post
    ...He lives in the Detroit area, and is somewhat of a legend...Nolan is a big Monroe fan, but also drew inspiration from blues, jazz, and gypsy music...it starts around Monroe, but wanders outward even to arabic musics. A genuine character...after he woke up in the hospital, from being shot several times...
    Man, this guy sounds awesome! The comments in this thread bring to mind some of the brilliant yet little known blues masters like R.L. Burnside and Junior Kimbrough.

I am sure I would love this guy's playing...Please provide any and all possible discography our recorded material references.

I want to hear this guy!

Oh, and I saw that blurry picture of him jamming with that band on Facebook...Again, one obscure, blurry image – Classic blues legend material!
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoist View Post
    Just found my LP...it was "El Dorado Waltz" in Bb.

...and Nolan's hat is killer in the cover photo!
    Love the hat! And the tune as well. I learned Gypsy Girl and at one time I could get through BG Morning. Blacks & Blues is another favourite.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby Eicher View Post
    I have just become friends with a guy in Michigan on Facebook. I noticed a pic of he and Nolan performing together. I mentioned it and he responded by didn't elaborate. I'll prod for more info and let you know.
    Shelby
    I think that's the guy who supplied me with Nolan's address in Detroit, which I managed to lose when my computer crashed. I wanted to write a fan letter. If it's the same person and he's still willing, I'd love to have that mailing address again.

Nolan is still playing around the Detroit area.I have worked with him many times over the years.Unique style and unique character.Dana Cupp and myself backed him up a few months back,just gave him the show and said "do anything you want" we Knew his originals and he ran the show.It was great to see him comfortable and in charge.I will post a picture from that night on my profile. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Manns View Post
    Nolan is still playing around the Detroit area.I have worked with him many times over the years.Unique style and unique character.Dana Cupp and myself backed him up a few months back,just gave him the show and said "do anything you want" we Knew his originals and he ran the show.It was great to see him comfortable and in charge.I will post a picture from that night on my profile. Thanks
    Mitch,

Nolan is one of my mandolin heros. "The Legendary KY Mandolin of N.F." has been a kind of bible to me, much like Grisman's tape recordings of Frank Wakefield were to him.
    I'd dearly love to be able to send Nolan a card, just to to thank him for his music and to let him know how much it's meant to me. I would have send this via private message, but it looks like you don't have that option enabled. Is there an address I could use? BTW, you can reply to me via P.M.

Oops, looks like I accidentally got logged out and didn't notice. I see you do have PM's enabled.

Blog Entries

(Inserted in-line from the url, and as a downloaded and attached jpeg to preserve into perpetuity!)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LKM Nolan Faulkner 2.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	68527   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LKM Nolan Faulkner 1.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	68528  
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

I received the Nolan Faulkner cd today, loaded it onto my ipod, then handed the cd to another mando buddy of mine. I true 'pay it forward' spirit, he will pass it along to one of his mando buddies.

Thanks, Ed!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Martian View Post
    I have known and played with Nolan many, many times, though I have not heard, or seen him lately. He lives in Detroit area, and is somewhat of a legend. I believe that album with the crazy hat was recorded at Dana Cupps house in Warren.Nolan is a big Monroe fan, but also drew inspiration from blues, jazz, and gypsy music. I think I recall in one conversation with him he told me it starts around Monroe, but wanders outward even to arabic musics. A genuine character. I can't recall the name of the song, but he wrote one that was very heartfelt and profound lyrically, after he woke up in the hospital, from being shot several times. John Morris from Old Homestead should be able to help anyone in info concerning Nolan. I am going to try to find the name of that song from a friend still in Detroit.
    I believe "Afraid to be Afraid" is the song you are referring to.
    Great song. I have recently become aware/obsessed with Nolan Falkner. I cant get enough. He might just be my favorite mandolin player. That kentucky mandolin LP is legendary.

Hello, Charlie Miller is my step dad, James was his brother, james passed away at least 6 years ago. My step dad talks to nolan every once in a while, nolan is living close to bowling green Kentucky.

If you tell me what you would like to know, I can ask my step dad.