Thread: "bethany" time, again!

Once again it is time to stick a reminder in here about B.M.A.D. (a.k.a."the Bethany Jam" in Bethany, CT).

If any of you are near "Bethany, CT" this coming Friday night, (will be raining, but so what....it's indoors), the 27th of June, come on over!!

Those of you who have been there before, be advised that Bill is NOT sending out e-mail notifications any longer, since the list got totally unmanageable (large number of names, well into and over a thousand at this point).

The website where each months Jam date is posted,and where you can find directions, is:

http://www.conntras.org/billfischer.htm

Hope to see you there!! Be sure and get hold of me whilst I'm going from room to room and introduce yourself.

-Soupy1957
    Breedlove Crossover FF SB
    “The weather was so bad even my iPhone was shaking!”
    -SDC

Because of a question by e-mail, and in the interest of everybody, I'll answer it here:

Q.What Instruments or other things should I bring to "Bethany?"

A. Folks come to "Bethany" for many reasons, some for the "fellowship" and some for the opportunity to play their instruments.
    Some come because they are rookies, or newbies, (like I did not more than a couple of years ago, for the mandolin), to see if they can keep pace on some level with the other musicians.
    Some come "just to hear the music." This accounts for maybe 5% of those who come. College kids, Elderly, and others are just there because they like to listen to Bluegrass, Blues, Jazz, Celtic, etc..
    There are the wee ones, like the 5 - 7 year olds whose parents brought them over, so that the more experienced musicians can be observed and learned from. (Some of these youngsters are quite good, actually, and we put them in the center of the "circle" and follow them on their choice of song, and their choice of tempo).
    Food is always a draw, but "Bethany" (although there is plenty of free food to go around) is not about the food.
    Networking to find others of like interest and looking for a chance to build a "band" around those new friendships happens, but again is not the main thrust of the gathering.
    Square Dancing is a regular part of the night (starting around 8 p.m., the Square Dancing begins around 10 p.m.). Some come just for that.
    The house is full, the air is jovial and warm, and their is enough diversity of approach to satisfy all who come, but navigation around the house can be tight. So bring "patience" and a smile, as part of your luggage.
    As far as instruments go, just about anything goes....you name it, I've seen it there, except for a person playing the kitchen sink. Some exotic instruments have shown up from time to time, and a certain amount of "sharing" goes on with musicians, to gain some knowledge of another instrument. (Not "mandatory" to share instruments, but does happen, as most musicians know).
    One last suggestion: Since there is no "fee" involved, and Bill and his wife have opened up their home for all, it is appropriate to contribute a "bottle of wine" or a "six pack" or a desert of some type. It is not necessary to spend a lot, or to "make it from scratch," but just so that you didn't come empty-handed is a big help to Bill and his wife.
    Hope that helps give ya'll a window into the "Bethany Jam" that I promote each month.
    Again, if anyone needs directions, please see the initial posting for this thread, and you can always e-mail me if needed, at "Soupy1957@yahoo.com" but be sure to put "Bethany Jam" in the Subject Line, so that my SPAM filter doesn't kick it out.
    Hope I see you there tomorrow, (Friday, the 27th)

-Soupy1957
    Breedlove Crossover FF SB
    “The weather was so bad even my iPhone was shaking!”
    -SDC

♪☮♫ Roll away the dew ♪☮♫ Dan Krhla's Avatar

It definitely is a blast, I had a great time and woke up on Sat saying, 'Man, I have to wait a whole 'nother month to do that again?!?'!
    See you on Fri!
    do good things