Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Incredibly accurate copy of f5

"All it needs is a little love." Or a large hammer?
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

I propose a new new post: "That mando is soooo ugly, (fill in the blank)
    Living’ in the Mitten

I'm waiting for the lower-priced Eastman version.

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but I don't understand some people's desire to piss all over anything that isn't a perfect Loar clone. Celebrate diversity!

Quote Originally Posted by (martinjonas @ July 02 2008, 05:27)
    To put this wonderful example of the art of lutherie in its proper historical context, here is one of Herr Heimer's early creations before his emigration from Germany to Bvooklyn, an incredibly accurate copy of a Gibson pancake mandolin! #As Bill Gates says, nobody will ever need more than nine frets, so why pay for them! #Also doubles as a colander!

Martin
    Martin, that instrument was referenced in my sources, but I could not find a picture of it. It might have been erroneously attributed to his cousin Gyro.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

Quote Originally Posted by (markishandsome @ July 02 2008, 09:39)
    Sorry to be a wet blanket, but I don't understand some people's desire to piss all over anything that isn't a perfect Loar clone. Celebrate diversity!
    That thing is just plain funny. I'm with Allen, for $200 it's very tempting to buy it just for the laugh value. I can just imagine people's expressions after one pulls that thing out of its case.
    Jason

"Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn’t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn’t know that so it goes on flying anyway."

Newell A5 #37, Glenn F5 #66, Eastman 615 #537,

Quote Originally Posted by (markishandsome @ July 02 2008, 10:39)
    Sorry to be a wet blanket, but I don't understand some people's desire to piss all over anything that isn't a perfect Loar clone. #Celebrate diversity!
    . The point of the original thread was the Ebay auction title of "Accurate copy of Gibson F5". Does this look like a typical F5 to you? We're poking fun at the auction listers somewhat decieving listing.
    A couple of mandolins
    A couple guitars
    An Upright Bass
    Some banjos
    Wax Paper over a comb
    A Loar era Didjeridoo

"I Never Wanted To Be A Barber. I Always Wanted To Be A Lumberjack !"

...I don't understand some people's desire to p*ss all over anything that isn't a perfect Loar clone. #Celebrate diversity!
    Why that's just plain crazy talk!

"It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Oh please. I admit it haven't waded through all previous threads on this instrument, but I don't see the word "accurate" in the ebay listing. I do see "along the lines of". You can't deny that the majority of posts in this particular thread are making fun of the mandolin, not the lister.

That thing is meant to hang on the wall over the fireplace. About 5 inches above the grate would be just perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by
    You can't deny that the majority of posts in this particular thread are making fun of the mandolin, not the lister.
    I can deny it. They both deserve it. Here's what the listing says:
    Cherry HandCarved Gibson F5 Mandolin Copy by HEIMER
    Now the only similarity between this thing and a Gibson F5 is the name mandolin. I would have to have proof that that instrument is actually playable before I'd call it a mandolin. This isn't even close to being about <<anything that isn't a perfect Loar clone.>> #This instrument is just weird. And who the heck is Heimer?? Are we supposed to be impressed?

<<Celebrate diversity!>> I don't celebrate diversity for diversity's sake. I celebrate excellence. I celebrate quality. I am not a mandolin snob by any means and I doubt I'll ever own a Gibson due to the cost, but this instrument and the person listing it are ridiculous.

"I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

I think i seen herman munster playing that thing when i was a kid!!!

you gotta love the first question asked (on the listing) about how the pickguard is attached... so much for 'not a screw anywhere'.

Quote Originally Posted by (Geoff B @ July 02 2008, 20:49)
    you gotta love the first question asked (on the listing) about how the pickguard is attached... so much for 'not a screw anywhere'.
    I would never post that question after saying there were no screws in the mando.

i think it is a beautiful piece of wood work, but it looks like a cabinet maker saw a mandolin somewhere and decided to copy it. if it was a solid body electric, it would be a handsome instrument (except the headstock. i did laugh when i saw the thickness of the f holes and the dowels. i wonder how mandy screws hold together the average mandolin

Cut it in half and have two Loar inspired salad bowls.
    A couple of mandolins
    A couple guitars
    An Upright Bass
    Some banjos
    Wax Paper over a comb
    A Loar era Didjeridoo

Blog Entries

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but I don't understand some people's desire to piss all over anything that isn't a perfect Loar clone. #Celebrate diversity!
    Its not that its not a perfect Loar clone. Its that it is one ugly ugly piece of wood.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by (Jkf_Alone @ July 02 2008, 21:44)
    i wonder how many screws hold together the average mandolin.
    Well, the tuners and tailpiece are generally screwed on. Some have screwed-on strap buttons, although that's not common. And adjustable bridges have screw-threaded posts, though they don't hold the mandolin together. Pickguard brackets are often attached with screws, if they don't have adjustable brackets that clamp on to the side.

Of course, the Heimer is far from an "average" mandolin. I find myself wondering how many screws held its builder together...?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

The maker of this mandolin possibly could have been drunk at the time of construction of this coffee table mandolin!!

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

Poor mister Heimer. Whenever this thread comes up (is this round three?) I think if the title of the auction was "Funky Lumpy Old Doweled-together Oddity", we wouldn't have taken the time to make fun of it. If I had posted a picture of it in the "pictures" forum and said "here's my first attempt at woodworking. I know it's funky, but it was fun to make", would you be as merciless? #

(It goes to show you what a fire-starter the phrase "Gibson F5 copy" is, though I doubt the seller knows that.)

Not around here!

A couple of mandolins
    A couple guitars
    An Upright Bass
    Some banjos
    Wax Paper over a comb
    A Loar era Didjeridoo

I wonder if he has anymore furniture for sale on ebay?

"Sorry I can't ship to Brazil, Poland or Russia"
    Too, too many

If I had posted a picture of it in the "pictures" forum and said "here's my first attempt at woodworking. I know it's funky, but it was fun to make", would you be as merciless?
    I once posted a picture of a Style-O inspired mando I made, and while most posters had nice things to say, a few did call it ugly and criticize the workmanship. I'd like to see some of the F5-inspired instruments the Heimer-haters here have designed and built from scratch. I think these sorts of threads are bad for the community because they discourage members from posting pictures of their non-traditional or imperfect work. It may even prevent some folks from getting in to building because they fear anything short of "excellence" will be ridiculed.

Nobody is a Heimer-hater. The main thing that is going here is how preposterous it is to call this thing a "Gibson F5 copy," and then declare, as if it proves some kind of non-intrinsic value beyond the norm, that it was built by HEIMER!!! #As others have said, the woodwork is fairly decent on the whole, but it doesn't make this a viable mandolin. This has nothing to do with members building anything#from scratch, and if you seriously think that this community would ridicule a member's work because it falls short of excellence, you haven't been reading the same forum I have. The eBay seller is either seriously under-informed about mandolins, or seriously #overconfident in valuing that instrument.