Thread: Prototype mandolins

I have been given the opportunity to buy a Michael Kelly F-Style Mandolin Prototype that was for the Legacy but did not go into production. My music teacher has seen & played it, he said it is flawless & sounds beautiful (I've seen pictures of it). M/K Company rep. said they decided to take the Legacy with a more classic F style and the Prototype is a one-of-a-kind. The owner is asking $600. I need advice, is it worth it?

That's a little less than the "street" price of a new Legacy, and would seem like a good deal for a one-of-a-kind instrument. If you like the pictures and trust your teacher's opinion, I'd suggest pursuing it. If it's in another city and has to be shipped, you could ask for an approval period. If it's in the same city where you are, perhaps you can go try before you buy.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

The owner does live in my town, just 6 miles from me. He has offered to let me play it. He is a student of my teacher as well. The design has a lot of similar features of the M/K Legacy (Fretboard, hardware,etc.) but a lot a different custom touches in the body style. The scoll is different, & there is an eagle's head carved on the back. (M/K company comfirmed the design was to take the Legacy in a new & different F style body design but went with a classic design so it did not go into production)

Being one-of-a-kind it probably got more attention then the normal MKs. For the most part MKs are hit or miss in terms of fit/finish and tone. If this is a nice one with good tone I would get it. And as soon as I got it I would post photos here on the cafe so we could check it out
    "Because of you I close my eyes each time I yodel"

ok, I will.