Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: $500,000 gibson a-50

Quote Originally Posted by
    Given the current "zeitgeist", nothing surprises me any more. A mediocre instrument, owned by an obscure legislator, for sale at an excessive price. Kind of like the tulip bulb frenzy. Curt
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

The Q&A at the bottom of the page is hysterical. My favorite is...

Q: "Is there a mistake in your price? Maybe you mean reserve of 500 usd? Surely this is not worth more than 2000 USD."
    A: "I think you are underestimating the power of this particular mandolin, no pun intended. Feel free to bid away!".

That's a close second to the guy or gal who asked the seller where they obtain their pharmaceuticals.
    Jason

"Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn’t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn’t know that so it goes on flying anyway."

Newell A5 #37, Glenn F5 #66, Eastman 615 #537,

If the reserve really is $500,000 it would have cost over $50 just for the listing fee. Expensive joke! He could have bought a pick and a gallon of gas for that.

Another nail in the "insanity" coffin.

Quote Originally Posted by (tenorbanjoguy @ July 22 2008, 09:44)
    All the A-50 owners should be this guys cheering section. If it sells, you folks just bolstered your net worth by a bunch!! I would bid on it but I will have to wait until he can accurately date its manufacture and purchase! Somebody should post theirs for $250k and really make this guy look like a loser!! What entertainment!!
    I think we agreed that it is an A-40 due to the lack of binding on the back....or maybe it could be an A-1 ftom a later period. In any case, his senator story is now debunked.

1917 Gibson A-3, '64 Martin A, 2016 Rhodes F5R.

im still curious about the flat back. Im thinking it is carved but the seller may not understand the differnce. Someone brought up about an A-00 or A-0?? can someone enlighten me?
    "Because of you I close my eyes each time I yodel"

Model: A-0 Mandolin
    Available: 1927 to 1934

1927 A-0 specs:
    Replaced the A-Jr model, symmetrical body, oval sound hole, no binding or soundhole ornamentation, clamshell tailpiece cover, dot inlays, brown finish.
    A-0 discontinued 1934.

Model: A-00 Mandolin
    Available: 1933 to 1943

1933 A-00 specs:
    Symmetrical body, oval sound hole, carved top, flat black, non-adjustable ebony bridge, pickguard glued to top, bound top, ebony fingerboard, dot inlays, "The Gibson" peghead logo, brown sunburst finish.
    1934 A-00 specs:
    "F" holes, elevated pickguard, clamshell tailpiece, "Gibson" peghead logo.
    1936 A-00 specs:
    Carved back.
    1939 A-00 specs:
    Adjustable bridge, single bound top and back, sunburst finish.
    A-00 discontinued 1943.

I am thinking that this mandolin is an A-1 from about 1934. I believe the owner said the back was flat as compared to a bowlback mandolin, meaning that it is carved but not a taterbug. There are other hints that he is not up on his mandolin schooling. This ad is even better than the Nigerians could post.

Great...Thanks for the info!

Geeeeezzzz I let my '42 A50 go for a fraction of his price. I got took I guess and it was a real A50 too.
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

I think I'd just buy three or four Gibson Loars.

If I could buy four Loars for $500K I'd do it. Then I'd sell three of them for $170K apiece, keep the fourth and pocket the extra $10K.

Our pal Eric has answered some more questions -- including one from me. His answer refers to one of his other eBay items -- a signed pardon from President Andrew Johnson for a mere $16K:
    Q: Hey Eric -- can you post a copy of your receipt showing you paid $649,000 for this mandolin at an estate sale? And maybe you could let us know who handled that estate sale. I have some mandolins I want them to sell for me.
    A: First you should buy our historic President Sealed pardon, then we will sell you the bill of sale.
    And here's the only appropriate response:
    Keep the pardon, bud -- you're going to need it more than I will.

Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by (laddy jota @ July 22 2008, 14:18)
    Model: A-0 Mandolin
    Available: 1927 to 1934

1927 A-0 specs:
    Replaced the A-Jr model, symmetrical body, oval sound hole, no binding or soundhole ornamentation, clamshell tailpiece cover, dot inlays, brown finish.
    A-0 discontinued 1934.

Model: A-00 Mandolin
    Available: 1933 to 1943

1933 A-00 specs:
    Symmetrical body, oval sound hole, carved top, flat black, non-adjustable ebony bridge, pickguard glued to top, bound top, ebony fingerboard, dot inlays, "The Gibson" peghead logo, brown sunburst finish.
    1934 A-00 specs:
    "F" holes, elevated pickguard, clamshell tailpiece, "Gibson" peghead logo.
    1936 A-00 specs:
    Carved back.
    1939 A-00 specs:
    Adjustable bridge, single bound top and back, sunburst finish.
    A-00 discontinued 1943.

I am thinking that this mandolin is an A-1 from about 1934. I believe the owner said the back was flat as compared to a bowlback mandolin, meaning that it is carved but not a taterbug. There are other hints that he is not up on his mandolin schooling. This ad is even better than the Nigerians could post.
    Could be, except if you are correct, that means the seller's story about the good senator could be true and then the mandolin could be worth....worth.....wel, heck. maybe even $250 bucks.

vintagemandolin.com Charles Johnson's Avatar

I just sent the seller this question:

"I am interested in buying your mandolin. A business associate of mine, the widow of the former oil minister of Nigeria, has sent me a chasiers check for 525,000 Euros. Would you be willing to deposit this check to your account and send me the mandolin and the 25,000 Euros difference?"

I hope he posts an answer!

I thought you guys knew more about vintage Gibsons then this. The A1 by 1934 and then it gets the wide body. It is bound on the back does not have the back brace. You can see the back brace in the photo and it's flat. The B in the FON means 1936. Simple, it is a 1936 A-00.
    How the Senator bought it new in early 30's remains the mystery. How the seller couldn't find $35 to get someone like Gruhn's to appraise it properly another mystery. Why Eric choose non-Gibson parts to repair it still another mystery and tailpiece likely replaced too since it should have a clamshell TP. But the big mystery is the appreciation in price because a Senator had it. Usually Lawyers or Politicians devalue anything they owned. Bottom line is this was a waste of ebay fees for the seller.

Quote Originally Posted by (f5loar @ July 22 2008, 17:36)
    I thought you guys knew more about vintage Gibsons then this. The A1 by 1934 and then it gets the wide body. It is bound on the back does not have the back brace. You can see the back brace in the photo and it's flat. The B in the FON means 1936. Simple, it is a 1936 A-00.
    How the Senator bought it new in early 30's remains the mystery. How the seller couldn't find $35 to get someone like Gruhn's to appraise it properly another mystery. Why Eric choose non-Gibson parts to repair it still another mystery and tailpiece likely replaced too since it should have a clamshell TP. #But the big mystery is the appreciation in price because a Senator had it. Usually Lawyers or Politicians devalue anything they owned. Bottom line is this was a waste of ebay fees for the seller.
    I think you've probably solved the mystery. If, as you say, the mandolin is almost certainly a 1936 model, then the story fails.

Somewhere, the ghost of the late senator cries out for justice....and an expert appraisal.

Quote Originally Posted by (Zigeuner @ July 22 2008, 21:00)
    ...and an expert appraisal.
    There's a famous owner of a musical instrument shop in Tennessee that is famous for appraising instruments yards beyond what they will sell for. I'm guessing his appraisal on this wouldn't even hit $2000.00, a small percentage of what the seller thinks it's worth
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

In one of his answers he says that he made the mistake and it should be in Euros. Would that not translate to about a cool million US?

Eric
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

Right this minute (look at time stamp on post) half a million Euros would be $789,184.29.
    The thing is they put commas in Euros instead of decimal points, so how much does he want for it? And if you read his bio he has spent 20 or so years in the USA so why would he make a mistake like that?
    The second to last line of the discription says
    "Reserve price for this instrument set at $500,000 US."

Bill Snyder

Yeah boy, I remember sitting by the radio listening to Pres. Roosevelt's fireside chat and ol' Senator Downey would break out the ol' Gibson mando and play some serious chops!!!!!! #You could hear Franklin clapping in the background. # A half a million bucks because a senator you've never heard of took it on some trips!?!?!? # Sheesh
    "and we'll have a few doubles to ease our troubles and see who's the first one to cry"

Quote Originally Posted by (tenorbanjoguy @ July 22 2008, 12:44)
    All the A-50 owners should be this guys cheering section. If it sells, you folks just bolstered your net worth by a bunch!! I would bid on it but I will have to wait until he can accurately date its manufacture and purchase! Somebody should post theirs for $250k and really make this guy look like a loser!! What entertainment!!
    c'mon! you're killing me! I posted my 1949 A-50 first for 250k. no takers. Then I offered it up for 150k. still no takers. I can't believe I'm going to do this but I'm going to an all time low. You can have my A-50 for 75k!

will consider trading for this: just another Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by (mwhq @ July 22 2008, 20:19)
    I just sent the seller this question:

"I am interested in buying your mandolin. A business associate of mine, the widow of the former oil minister of Nigeria, has sent me a chasiers check for 525,000 Euros. Would you be willing to deposit this check to your account and send me the mandolin and the 25,000 Euros difference?"

I hope he posts an answer!
    best. post. ever. [B]

[quote=tpeter,July 22 2008, 23:34
    c'mon! you're killing me! #I posted my 1949 A-50 first for 250k. #no takers. #Then I offered it up for 150k. #still no takers. #I can't believe I'm going to do this but I'm going to an all time low. #You can have my A-50 for 75k! #
    [/quote]

I think this just confirms the softness of the vintage market.

Mitch Lawyer

Collings MF5V, Schwab #101 5 string
    1918 Gibson A, 1937 Gibson T-50 tenor guitar
    Jones OM, Hums bowlback

Blog Entries

Just for giggles, here's the Q&A for world famous Downey mandolin:

Q: Some things you should know: The A40 first came out in 1948. Before that an unbound back F hole A model was Model A-00. The A-50 always both prewar and postwar had a bound back and fingerboard. This one does not. The number you give is easy to date as it has the "B" in it which meant made in 1936. It has the catalog specs(minus tuners,bridge and maybe tailpiece)of a 1936 A-00. In the US a fine all original condition 1936 A-00 would bring around $1000. Hard to say the historical price added to it. Some would say "priceless". Jul-22-08
    A: This is awesome!! We have been trying to track the original date manufactured. Some said that the style that the "Gibson" is written put it in the 1930's. Other than the slides, a TIME magazine, and family stories, there was no other information available. Obvoiusly the only value it has, over any other mandolin of the era, is the history. Which the family was very reluctant to give up.

Q: Bwaahaahaaa... Only Bill Monroe's Lloyd Loar is worth anywhere near your starting bid...maybe. Good luck... Jul-22-08
    A: I have seen the Orville Wright's mandolin when I was in Washington DC. I did not research the story that much. He used to play it for hours a day. The mandolin looked like it was in very mint condition(don't know if it was refurbished?). There are pictures of it online. From what I know of the Downey's, they bought a ton of stuff, and they took very good care of it. This mandolin is still in very good shape, and with a little work, could be restored to look mint. It has been played, by 2 very dedicated mandolin players.

Q: Dear Sir/Madam, surly you mean $500,000 Zimbabwean Dollars, right??? James Jul-22-08
    A: Sorry, we meant $500,000 Euros! Which country is this auction in ?

Q: Hey Eric -- can you post a copy of your receipt showing you paid $649,000 for this mandolin at an estate sale? And maybe you could let us know who handled that estate sale. I have some mandolins I want them to sell for me. Jul-22-08
    A: First you should buy our historic President Sealed pardon, then we will sell you the bill of sale.

Q: You have said there are photos of Downey playing this instrument. I have searched the web with no luck. Can you post some? Jul-22-08
    A: We have the original slide film.

Q: Is the back of the mandolin flat, or is it arched like the top? Jul-22-08
    A: Flat

Q: Where do you obtain your pharmaceuticals? I can't see how the odometer on this instrument will impact the value a whit. Jul-21-08
    A: The best thing in life, is that you get to share your story. There will someday, be a book written about this mandolin. Other than the Wright brothers mandolin that is in the Smithsonian, there is no mandolin in the United States with more history.

Q: Given the current "zeigeist", nothing surprises me any more. A mediocre instrument, owned by an obscure legislator, for sale at an excessive price. Kind of like the tulip bulb frenzy. Curt Jul-21-08
    A: This mandolin has traveled more than any other instrument in the world I think. The Downey's were travel freaks. There are pictures of this instrument in various parts of the world. We also have the original copy of the TIME magazine article. When was the last time a mandolin playing Senator made news? This mandolin was played before the US Senate.

Q: Sorry, But it appears to me what you have there is an A40 not an A50. The A50's have binding on both the top and the back of the instrument. The A40's have binding only on the top. Thought I'd let you know. Pencilpuss Jul-21-08
    A: Hey cool. An A40 it is. There is very little information available on Gibsons produced during that time. The binding has shrunk with age. Elizabeth "Winnie" Downey had no information on this mandolin.

Q: Is there a mistake in your price? Maybe you mean reserve of 500 usd? Surely this is not worth more than 2000 USD. Jul-21-08
    A: I think you are underestimating the power of this particular mandolin, no pun intended. Feel free to bid away!

Q: Is shipping to Ontario Canada L0B 1J0 about the same as to the USA? Jul-21-08
    A: Yes. When the auction ends, if there is a winning bidder, the mandolin will be shipped from California.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

Quote Originally Posted by (jasonh847 @ July 22 2008, 11:28)
    The Q&A at the bottom of the page is hysterical. #My favorite is...

That's a close second to the guy or gal who asked the seller where they obtain their pharmaceuticals.
    Yeah, that would be me...

__
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity
    -- Hanlon's Razor

Prescott, AZ

Quote"Obvoiusly the only value it has, over any other mandolin of the era, is the history. Which the family was very reluctant to give up."
    yeah probably because the family didn't know he played such a piece of #### mandolin either. So much so they let it rot in the attic.
    I am a bit concerned about sending the money to Neitherlands and the mandolin being shipped out of Calif.
    SCAM! And if it is not a scam..... it should be.

I just asked the guy if I can play it in california. since it seems like thats where it will be. Lets see if this rattles his cage.