Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: $500,000 gibson a-50

The reserve price on this mandolin is $500,000 This mandolin was supposedly owned by some u.s senator that i have never heard of.And the add says someone else gave $649,000 for it. WHAT GIVES ? # Here it is <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/SHERIDAN-DOWNEYS-A-50-GIBSON-MANDOLIN-SERIAL-423B_W0QQitemZ330254841913QQihZ014QQcategoryZ

10179QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/SHERIDA....iewItem</a>

I must be the only one who thinks this is a little overpriced.

I think he should have free shipping on a $500,000 mandolin.

It is unusual to find something 500 times over valued.
    Mitch Lawyer

Collings MF5V, Schwab #101 5 string
    1918 Gibson A, 1937 Gibson T-50 tenor guitar
    Jones OM, Hums bowlback

Yes, you are. The rest of us think it's astronomically overpriced.

I want to talk to the estate sale folks who sold this mandolin for $649K. I want them to handle MY estate sale when the time comes.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Id say thats a little high Maybe due to the shipping from the netherlands...just kidding. Im not really sure why the seller would think he could get this for it. I think they may have added an extra zero or two. But well see. IT looks like it is in great shape and has not been played much, even though it "toured" the USA for a few years. I will def be keeping an eye on it to see how igh it goes.
    "Because of you I close my eyes each time I yodel"

once upon a time, drmole Joel Spaulding's Avatar
    not too far from Rosine; formerly and always a Yankee Highlander from Vermont

No, I just checked the auction. I was actually having trouble getting on the cafe messageboard...

I came very close to asking the seller the following question:

"Are you high?"

If it had been a Jul 9, 1923 Loar owned by PRESIDENT Calvin Coolidge it still would not likely be worth $500K.....unless someone is willing to pay it.

As much as I hate to part with it since I just got it and absolutely love it... however, for the Mandolin Cafe community I will offer a fantastic deal. I will let my 1949 A-50 go for the bargain basement price of half of what they are asking for that A-50: $ 250,000. USD price firm, I'm taking a big hit here. Would consider a trade for a Lloyd Loar, a Stradivarius or a late model Ferrari. Serious inquiries only please.

What politician did your A-50 belong to?

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

My mandolin was never touched by a politician. Price now: $ 275,000!

[/QUOTE jpeter July 21 2008, 00:56]As much as I hate to part with it since I just got it and absolutely love it... however, for the Mandolin Cafe community I will offer a fantastic deal. I will let my 1949 A-50 go for the bargain basement price of half of what they are asking for that A-50: $ 250,000. USD price firm, I'm taking a big hit here. Would consider a trade for a Lloyd Loar, a Stradivarius or a late model Ferrari. Serious inquiries only please.

Ha Ha.....here's the best part, a quote from the guy who paid 649k....

"One of the finest mandolins you will ever hear, and the pickup is hot!" - Eric Stroeve.

Not a description I would use in trying to sell a vintage instrument.:laugh:

Jordan Ramsey
    myspace.com/crosspicker

Quote Originally Posted by (tpeter @ July 21 2008, 01:20)
    My mandolin was never touched by a politician.
    Wow, your mandolin might just be the last object in the country that was never ...

Hm. Better not complete that thought.

Well, the only way I can imagine this to be a genuine mistake is if the seller is using the standard continental European way of denoting the decimal marker by a comma rather than by a dot. After all, the seller is based in the Netherlands, where one would write "$649,00" to indicate "$649.00". However, that explanation fails to account for the third zero in the listing's "$500,000" and "$649,000".

I do wonder about the seller's fees: I've never sold anything with a reserve price, but my understanding is that Ebay charge fees according to the reserve, meaning that he'll have to pay more to Ebay for this listing than the instrument is worth.

Martin

And it's not even an A-50, it's an A-1.
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

At this price it has my nomination for the auction that won't get a single bid this week. Now, if it had been Senator Wayne Morse's mandolin I might reconsider it.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

The seller has been an ebay member since May-04-02 in United States , the mandolin is in Lisse, Netherlands. Even if the reserve was $50US I still wouldn't bid on it.

Ludicrous. Simply ludicrous. Even if you wanted to consider it some sort of "museum piece," it's had the tuners and bridge replaced, the pickguard's missing, and there's a recently-installed pickup. And despite the worthy history of Sen. Downey, he's not exactly a household word other than in the Downey household. I might want to pay that much for Thomas Jefferson's violin, or Harry Truman's piano, but this is, well, ludicrous.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I made the mistake of asking him the source of his pharmaceuticals... #Here is the reply:

The best thing in life, is that you get to share your story.
    There will someday, be a book written about this mandolin.
    Other than the Wright brothers mandolin that is in the Smithsonian,
    there is no mandolin in the United States with more history.

I dunno, I gotta think that there is one or two other mandolins with a bit more history...
    __
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity
    -- Hanlon's Razor

Prescott, AZ

Now that's funny.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

The Wright brothers played Mandolin? Did they share one or did they each have one? If this guy has the most famous mandolin in american history I wonder if hes a member of the most famous mandolin website in mandolin history? I would love to hear him chime in on this.

Still no bids?!?!?! wha wha what? Be surprise.
    "Because of you I close my eyes each time I yodel"

Sheridan Downey bio - not a word about mandolins, tho.

First thing I did think was what Martin said about the decimals vs. commas. OTOH the seller may just be insane.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I made an offer for $233.52, CASH Baby! Oh yeah, I told this joker that my offer INCLUDES s/h WITH insurance OK! You got to be tough when doing business folks. I am still waiting for a response- I hope he/she gets back to me soon because I will spend the 52 cents any minute now.........
    James

He surely can't be serious? And if he is, I bet he'd be an awfully interesting fella to meet! LOL

The mandolin would be worth a million dollars if the senator hadn't owned it.
    Mitch Lawyer

Collings MF5V, Schwab #101 5 string
    1918 Gibson A, 1937 Gibson T-50 tenor guitar
    Jones OM, Hums bowlback

In the listing on eBay under Comments from other members, someone mentioned that the mandolin couldn't be an A-50 since the A-50's were bound on both top and back. The seller then corrected the listing to reflect that the mandolin is, in fact, an A-40.

That's nice, except it spoils the seller's nice story about the mandolin having been used by the good senator in the 1930's. Since the A-40 was not intruduced until 1948, that doesn't match the story. I mean, you can't play a mandolin that wasn't yet in existence, can you?

I guess the seller needs to bolster his retirement fund. It does seem a little over-priced don't you all think though?

By the way, the listing says that the "item location" is in the Netherlands. OTOH, the seller says that the mandolin would be shipped from California.

I'm frankly thrilled. As a Californian, I'm truly honored to be the home base for such a valuable and interesting piece of....piece of.....ahhhh, historical lore.

1917 Gibson A-3, '64 Martin A, 2016 Rhodes F5R.

This is so outrageous i can't even think of anything to say about it.I guess she is trying to be like the piece of toast with that image of jesus or mary on it.You know the one that sold for something crazy.