Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: $500,000 gibson a-50

Under the Q & A, it clarifies that it's $500,000 euros. #Oh, that's only $319,000! Much better!

"Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't, you're right!" Henry Ford

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by (Dragonflyeye @ July 24 2008, 14:03)
    Under the Q & A, it clarifies that it's $500,000 euros. #Oh, that's only $319,000! #Much better!
    He's not being serious. Of course the whole auction is not serious either.

Quote Originally Posted by
    Under the Q & A, it clarifies that it's $500,000 euros. Oh, that's only $319,000! Much better!
    Euros go the other way. It's more like $785,000.

Yes. Somewhere, be it Hawaii, the Netherlands, or California, Eric Stroeve is laughing his head off. And I'll bet Senator Sheridan Downey is too.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by (mrmando @ July 24 2008, 07:13)
    Quote Originally Posted by (MikeEdgerton @ July 24 2008, 10:03)
    OK, now I understand. He's hawking his music. ...
    Which is about as unbearable as his ad copy.
    That reminds me of a quote from the great 12 string guitar man, Leo Kottke. The way I heard it, someone asked him once why he didn't do vocals, rather than instrumentals. Leo was quoted as saying somethng to the effect that...."Well, I'd sing more except my voice sounds kinda like goose f***s on a muggy day". #

I listened to one of Mr. Stroeve's CD's. He could take a hint from Leo Kottke.

And before anyone attacks me, I freely admit that I don't sing very well.......but it's probably OK because I'm not trying to sell records. #
    1917 Gibson A-3, '64 Martin A, 2016 Rhodes F5R.

His music is described on CDbaby as

"California Acoustic Folk Fusion with lyrics inspired by Kitesurfing and Snowkiting."

It also says his cd is "permanently out of stock"

To me it's looking less like cheap advertising. A LOT of people would have to download his mp3s for him to make any profit, and that's only if he gets ANY royalties at all from itunes. He only mentions his music once in passing but goes on and on about Downey and the Wright Bros etc. It just seems too subtle for a guy who promotes himself as a latter-day Hendrix and says things like "His music was pushing boundaries, and his live performances are legendary."

I think he just fell off his snow-kite a few too many times and genuinely believes his mandolin is worth 50k. Some people are so deluded they can convince themselves of almost anything, for example, thinking you sound just like Mark Knopfler when really...

You would have thought a well respected and paid US Senator of the 1930's that was such a "hot" mandolin picker of the time would have bought one of those fancy F5 Gibsons instead of a low end cheap student model.

Quote Originally Posted by (f5loar @ July 24 2008, 21:41)
    You would have thought a well respected and paid US Senator of the 1930's that was such a "hot" mandolin picker of the time would have bought one of those fancy F5 Gibsons instead of a low end cheap student model.
    You can bet he requisitioned the F5, but after the check came he got the cheaper mandolin and spent the rest of the money on hooch.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by (markishandsome @ July 24 2008, 20:46)
    I think he just fell off his snow-kite a few too many times and genuinely believes his mandolin is worth 50k. Some people are so deluded they can convince themselves of almost anything, for example, thinking you sound just like Mark Knopfler when really...
    I'm reminded of a feller whose picture I still have up at emando.com. The guy had ordered a custom electric mandolin from a certain builder, which probably cost about $3-4K at the time. He had somebody take a few photos and started up a Web site. I never heard samples of his music, but it was supposed to combine his passion for martial arts with his mando and ocarina playing. After, apparently, some fruitless months trying to convince people to give him a gig, the guy finally gave up and tried to sell the e-mando on eBay. Only he was somehow persuaded that his epithelials had ennobled this instrument to the point of its being worth five times what he'd paid for it -- hence he listed it for $20K.

Then there was the guy who'd been a roadie at a Led Zeppelin show in the '70s, and picked up one of the cheap bows that Jimmy Page used to use on his guitar. (Looked like a 3/4 size student cello bow.) After 20 years of keeping the bow around, the dude decided it was time to sell. His asking price on eBay was $35,000, which included him flying to the home of the lucky winner to present the bow.

Quote Originally Posted by (Zigeuner @ July 24 2008, 19:15)
    That reminds me of a quote from the great 12 string guitar man, Leo Kottke. The way I heard it, someone asked him once why he didn't do vocals, rather than instrumentals. Leo was quoted as saying somethng to the effect that...."Well, I'd sing more except my voice sounds kinda like goose f***s on a muggy day".
    Listen to the first two or three Leo Kottke recordings, he does sing and it isn't all that bad. His recording of Louise is probably the best in my mind as it actually portrays the right emotion for the song.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by (mrmando @ July 25 2008, 02:41)
    ....His asking price on eBay was $35,000, which included him flying to the home of the lucky winner to present the bow.
    But of course, I would not have expected any less.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by (jasonh847 @ July 24 2008, 16:48)
    Is it still good advertising if it begets much ridicule and no praise?
    Oddly enough, yes. Good or bad attention is attention and that is the goal. If people aren't talking about you people aren't hearing about you.

If 99.9% of people don't like your stuff that means for every thousand people who listen you'll get one new fan. If you could get every person on earth to listen to your stuff you would have more than 6,000,000 fans.

His description has now changed to a 1936 A-00, which I believe is the group-thinking on this model. Eric is probably enjoying reading the Mandolin Cafe posts as much as the rest of us are. How much is a good joke worth? The punchline will be when one of his straight-man makes a last minute bid which wins the auction. The laugh might be worth 50 bucks on a hot summer with $4 gasoline.

I've got one of those I'd be willing to sell for half price. lol

Ok ok, I'm a reasonable guy, I'll trade ya mine outright for a Ricky Skaggs DMM...you pay shipping.

Anyone? Anyone?

Most entertaining thread for a quiet Friday afternoon in the office

So it's seems conclusive.

1. This bloke is nut job and is as mad as a box of frogs.

2. His music is rubbish.
    Mando: Weber Bitteroot

Or I could say I don't care for his music and he seems sadly misinformed about the vintage instrument market. Or he just might be trying to jerk somebody's chain.

I wonder if he's not just laundering money? Let's see if someone bids.
    Think globally, bike locally.

Quote Originally Posted by (eadg145 @ July 25 2008, 13:24)
    I wonder if he's not just laundering money? #Let's see if someone bids.
    Assuming for the sake of argument, that the instrument were to sell at $500K. The buyer would have to explain where all of that money came from and the happy seller would have to explain as well.

I think it would be extremely difficult for money laundering to be carried out under such circumsances.

Furthermore, if anyone out there were to want to hide that much money, almost anyone on this list could make better suggestions. Say, for example, a couple of signed F-5's from the 20's and a 1940's Martin D-28 or two.

Or 1,000 Michael Kellys.

Uh, I have a Fender signed by Rhonda Vincent and the Rage.. Not a politician, but it's not a Gibson either.. How about $150,000 or will take your July 1923 in trade.
    Edward L. Hutson

Quote Originally Posted by (EdH @ July 25 2008, 21:06)
    Uh, I have a Fender signed by Rhonda Vincent and the Rage.. Not a politician,...
    Too bad -- I might vote for her!

Dang, I forgot when the auction closed, didn't get my bid in on time.

What? The auction ended and no one bid? I am shocked. I thought for sure a consortium of foreign businessmen would pick this jewel up and lock it away to be sold later at a huge profit.
    Bill Snyder

Quote Originally Posted by (Curious @ July 27 2008, 20:53)
    What? The auction ended and no one bid? I am shocked. I thought for sure a consortium of foreign businessmen would pick this jewel up and lock it away to be sold later at a huge profit.
    If I were the ghost of the good senator, I'd be extremely upset. Maybe next time.