Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Red-haired boy

That jazz version is really nice, Planetcology - it really swings. So many different versions that sound nice.

capnastrokate, I really like the note choices going on in your versions. It has an'old' sound to the meldoy.

Plantecology ... LOL! Brilliant!

Capnastrokate - Nice modal version of the melody.

Benignus - I enjoyed both versions. There really is a connection between Ireland and the Caribbean, by the way: http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/pages.../story0058.htm

Tim (farmerf5?) - Your lead part sounds great, but the rhythm part seems to drift in tempo. Maybe recording to a metronome would keep things together?

Martin - Good old-country version. The bowlback gives a really different tone from the other posts, really fits your interpretation well.

So my shot at RHB is posted - hope you like it.

Camaroonski ... buddy,
    Wow! I am such a fan of your note choices, rhythyms, articulation, tone, recording prowess ... you name it. Way to go!

Folks, I'm off to NYC for a week. My first time there, so I'll likely have too much to do than check up on the Cafe. Read you and hear you all when I get back.

- Benig

Wow, there are some amazing recordings up there. Good job everyone! I might even post another one with more to it; I've been inspired.

Kate

great job everyone! this is great stuff! so far, this is one of the best tunes we've (you've) done. there is great variation here!

benignus, once again you've done some amazing things with this song. i especially like your traditional version. you've captured that mandolin tone that i love. just perfect!

timsax, very clean playing pal! nice subtle control of volume and good syncopation. couldn't ask for much more.

cam, it's unbelievable how you have just taken to the mando in such a short time. cool selection of triplets throughout your version. and, of course, love the guitar back-up you have added, too. thanks for your contributinos to this project so far.

keep em comin' y'all! harwilli? harrmob? where you guys?

my mando is 333 miles away. will get back to pickin' and recording soon. in the meantime, i'll try to stay on top of the new posts and enjoy the new tunes.

thanks!

craig

hi i think i need a bit of jelp i´m very new to the mandolin and this site .you´r all talking about tracks redhaired boy etc.how can i get to listen to these? and i downloaded some arpeggio exercises by tom obrian bit they are a bit hard and i´m very unsure of the fingering as it´s not written. any help would be a big help for me thanks.Tony
    tony

Tony,
    There are two sites. #The site that you upload to (if you upload) is http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/mandolinproject. #The site where you can hear other members' recordings is http://www.mandolinproject.150m.com.

Welcome to the board!

Kate

Thanks a lot for the encouraging comments guys - I really appreciate it. This place is my only outlet at the moment for the playing, learning and sharing of this kind of stuff, seeing as I don't seem to be able to find any players to jam with in my local, or even wider area (I live in Germany).

Cam, I just listened to the RHB verison you posted. That is so nice to listen too. You have such a great style and good sound that comes out in all your playing. I really enjoy your stuff.

Great job, Cam! A wonderful and impressing sound quality too as you always have on your recordings.

thanks again. I'm lucky to have the help of some decent recording gear - an older Roland VS880 digital workstation and a couple of reasonable mics. (Tip: recording mando and guitar in stereo really helps fatten out the sound) There are other cheap or even free (demo) home studio software packages that do a very good job too. I have a prog called Magix Audio Studio which is really inexpensive and is easy to operate. I think ProTools even do a free downloadable version but I don't know how easy it is to use.

There is hope for my recordings, maybe. An old friend I met at the bluegrass festival yesterday is going to give me the programs he uses, don't remember the names of them. I hope that can add something good to my recordings.
    I took a look at ProTools, but it doesn't run on Windows XP. That's just too stupid. XP is one of the most used systems these days, how can they not make it run on XP!!!!!

So I recorded "The Kesh Jig" and uploaded it. It's not showing up under files, and it's not showing up on the project site. Should I upload it again?

Kate

kate,

hey! your "Kesh Jig" is under "Miscellaneous Musings". i didn't get a chance to listen to it, yet. however, i presumed it wasn't a recording of RHB or any of the other monthly tunes, so i put it there. let me know if you have any trouble with the link.

craig

Thanks Craig, it wasn't showing up there either so I was like "Oh no!!"

kate,

i just checked. your recording is under Miscellaneous Musings on the MP site (not Yahoo!Groups), and the link works. nice tune!

craig

It's working for me now. Thanks a lot!

One question. How do you get both your Mandolin Cafe name and your Yahoo! ID onto the Mandolin Project site with your file? #I've tried a few different things and it only shows up as capnastrokate. #I guess it's not [/I]really[I] necessary at this point, but it's kind of annoying.

kate,

i usually put those in. i've just been a bit lazy about that. soon you'll be able to do all that yourself. in the process of revamping things on the MP site. eventually we won't need Yahoo!Groups anymore. until then, i'll try to keep up with putting the stuff in manually.

again, thanks for participating. i see you just uploaded a new RHB version. i'll get that moved over to the MP site, too.

cheers,

craig

Oh, ok. I thought I was missing something!

Thanks,
    Kate

OK, I've put my version up. Totally unremarkable melody or speed wise I'm afraid, although the guitar backing is my first stab at using an alternate tuning (in this case DADGAD).

I had a couple of nasty "pops" appear in the recording which I have done my best to remove, so if the mando drops out for a split second that's what it is.

After listening to some of the other recordings, I have got to try to get better sound from my mando...

Some *fantastic* work happening out there folks! I've loved all the versions so far.

Dgsignal, great version; love the rhythm work, and a great intro.

Cam, sensational.

Benignus, great as ever.

Timsax, beautiful version; lovely clean picking and some great ornamentation.

Dave, I have but one thing to say about your version: coooooooooooooooooooooool.

Quote Originally Posted by (SiFi @ July 12 2004, 05:07)
    Timsax, beautiful version; lovely clean picking and some great ornamentation.
    Why Thank You!

Tim Saxton
    "Well, Yes, It is true that it did have random Hippie Sanding done to it"

"It's about the journey and not the destination."