Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Red-haired boy

Quote Originally Posted by (SiFi @ July 12 2004, 08:07)
    Dgsignal, great version; love the rhythm work, and a great intro.
    Thanks for the kind words.

Camaroonski, #I really like how crisp and clear your recording is. #What kind of setup do you use?

Dustin (dgsignal)

Check page 2 of this thread dgillespie

Hey, nice batch of new recordings! Cam, I particularly liked how your version veered from side to side of the Atlantic.

D.H.

I know I'm coming in late to this discussion. I have been gone two of the last three weeks with not much time to spare in teh middle week either. I am just downloading some RHBoy versions and they are greaet. The jazz version sounds awesome (and I"m not a fan of jazz!).

I haven't really picked the mando over the last two weeks, but made a quick recording of Fisher's and will post it soon.
    Alan

Well, been out of town for a bunch of July, but hacked away till I got something going tonight. Just a simple version, after much pick swapping and testing.

Boy that's some great versions posted.
    Those like me that record it straight up with no backup, I wish you would post. I would love to hear more like that. I'm determined not to edit anything except trim the start and end. I hope other lurkers aren't misled into believing editing is necessary or expected, because its not. I feel this group is a great resource, beginners unite!
    2001 Flatiron F5

no fear, mnormand, I'll be posting my Authentic Beginner No Frills version with extra clams soon.... #

I don't edit my versions either -- mainly because I don't know how.....I just keep erasing and starting over. Very time-consuming, but I guess it counts as extra practice....

Couldn't find your recording on the site BTW....tho'I'm sure Craig will have it up soon. Really like this last bunch of recordings -- great stuff.

Carolyn

Don't worry, Normand, the beginner recordings always drop in one after another at the end of the month. I don't really like that all the advanced post the first week of the month - it doesn't really feel like a learning project then. (they're great to listen to, though) Anyway, the beginner versions will be there. I'm not a beginner on RHB but when I do recordings it doesn't matter how long I've played a tune, it will sound like a beginner version anyway because I always screw things up when I record.

Also, I've tried a recording software called N-Track Studio that takes a bit too much memory so I can't save the files, which means I can't use it to this project. The thing with it is that it synchs much much better than Audacity, it synchs perfectly, and after having tried that I'm not very fond of the idea of starting over with Audacity again and all these complex rounds just to make the timing right. I'm going to do simple recordings with no back-up until I get either another sound card or another recording software (a friend is going to give me two that I can try).
    So, conclusion, my recordings will also be without back-up and fancy stuff, the only thing is that I may cut and paste to edit mistakes.

Mnormand- my first version is just the mandolin...it's pretty basic!

Kate

Maybe I shouldn't have said that..or maybe I should have..because I did a recording and it's the first time ever that I don't do a dozen mistake on the first take. I could also play it a bit faster than usual. I don't think I'll be able to do it better, I'm actually quite satisfied with it, for the first time on this project.
    And it's just the 15th of July, so....sorry to all who read what I said about those who post early. I'm a sinner too.

Well, after slacking for the last two months (I only learned the A parts to the last 2 songs!), I finally posted a song!

This is my first recording with my Tonegard and Sam Bush strings.

Eric

c3hammer,

very nice use of doublestops!! really enjoy listening to your version of RHB. i'll have to work on that. it brings a whole new dimension to the song.

thanks!

craig

Great job Susanne! I like your version a lot, very clean, good speed and nice, sweet tone. Really, really nice. A cool version from c3hammer too, very original... Chiro, do you always play so fast?

Still working on mine....

Carolyn

Carolyn,

Too fast... Hmm... I usually play with some pretty experienced pickers, so I am usually trying to catch up to them... I guess I learned it a little faster? Does it sound bad?

Eric

Not at all, chiro....actually, I meant that comment for mnormand, who did a pretty speedy version for a "beginner"... I just got my names mixed up, after listening to several in a row -- sorry!

I thought yours sounded great -- nice chopping too. That's one thing I can't seem to get the hang of....

Carolyn

Carolyn,

Okay! Because I was thinking that I was actually playing it slower than normal!

As for chopping... thanks!......I don't really have any advice, though...I just kind of figured it out... The hardest part for me, at first, was making the chord. But chopping really helps me out at jams...As long as you can keep the count, you can pretty much play any song!

Eric

Thx CarolynBeth. I actually played RHB many times slow trying to get a good cut, had trouble, and cranked it for for fun, and made one pass ok. Good luck with yours!

Suzi and Chiro, those are nice versions, just flows along pretty.

That other thread about "basic melody" was great. Made me finally do that simple Joe Clark version. This is great, I now know about 4-5 simple tunes within a month strictly because of this forum. I probably would still be plinking along othewise, mostly goofing off.
    2001 Flatiron F5

This was one of the very first songs that I learned and actually liked from the Burt Casey Mando Primer. That was a couple of years ago. I've never really learned any other version, but just started letting my pick hit the adjacent strings.

It's not really double stops, but sympathetics or what ever you call being sloppy. I do the same basic thing on Soldiers Joy and Old Joe Clark. For some reason they are really easy versions to play at speed in a jam like that.

The extra little ringing seems to work pretty well for playing by yourself too.

Thanks for putting this thing together Craig. It's a pretty fun thing to work on recording a good cut in only one try. I find it fairly difficult to do. I think it took me three tries to get that one. How many cuts does it take everyone else to get one they find acceptable?

Cheers,
    Pete

bluegrasstjej! I just listened to your RHBoy recording. This can't be a recording from the same girl who was berating herself recently for poor playing b/c that recording is fantastic! What a great job - and a different version (or at least changes made)

Great job. Keep it up.
    Alan

Thank you!!!
    This is the first recording to this project that I'm really pleased with. And, I recorded it in one take, as well. Porbably because I first didn't think of using it to the project, I just wanted to try my new microphone. I had planned to do a completely different version, singing it too (probably will do that too), but this version just came to me. I'm not sure where I've got it from. I think it's from the mandolin picker's fakebook, or it may be partly improvised by myself too, I don't remember. But I'm very glad I got a good recording so soon. It increased my failing confidence...
    I've played this tune a lot, but Bert Casey's version, and one of these tunes that i've played too much, so that I'm completely fed up with it, but playing this new version made it fresh again.
    Thanks for your comments, it made my day!

It's been great to listen to everyone's recordings. And I'm really looking forward to the last days of the month when the recordings usually drop in one by one every day.

There is a new recording by someone named Bart Nash! Great job indeed!! I love this version!

Yo Bluegrasstjej! Great work! Nurses!

OK guys, you inspired me. I went down to Radio Shack and bought a $39 microphone and a 1/4" to mini plug adapter and plugged it into my sound card. I downloaded Audacity and started playing with it a bit. I even recorded a quick 2 track practice track to make sure I know how it works.

So you've corrupted me. I'm joining the ranks of Song Project Mandolin players. I hope to have an MP3 up in a couple of days.

Dru. AKA Greg

Thanks Bluegrasstjej,

I've been watching this project for a while and finally got up the nerve to join in. I think I'm hooked now. I can see that this is going to be a great motivator.

Does everyone else use the "noise removal" effect of audacity? After combining the 3 tracks I had a noticeable whine bleeding through. Noise removal took the whine out, but I think it dulled the recording a bit. Anyone got any tips for keeping it clean and crisp?
    If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

bart (picksnbits),

you've got quite a country feel to your version. a real pleasure to listen to! thanks for posting!

craig

Quote Originally Posted by (Dru Lee Parsec @ July 19 2004, 12:14)
    So you've corrupted me. #I'm joining the ranks
    awesome!!