Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Another fake gibson

"The seller ended this listing early because of an error in the listing."

The third one ended, but the fourth one is still up.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

The serial numbers on both seem to be anagrams of each other.

It's a <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Kona-Signature-A-Style-Mandolin-Crimson-Burst-NEW_W0QQitemZ360076482461QQihZ023QQcategoryZ
    10179QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">Kona </a>
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

Quote Originally Posted by
    Well, I just told him that if he didn't remove it I would do just that. It might be a hassle, but there is no doubt that I can prove fraud so it should not ultimately affect my rating on eBay.
    He would just block you from bidding. It might work if you hadn't already told him you had no intention of paying. But even if you did win it he'd just relist it when you didn't pay. This guy is a meathead. Having a SN that is almost consistent with what would be on a real gibson proves nothing. I could scribble 73987 on an old shoebox, but it wouldn't make it Bill's Loar. Unless the Gibson SWAT team smashes this instrument over the guys head, he's going to sucker somebody.

I knew the cafe would come through on this mystery Gibson.
    I emailed the seller to tell him to view the Kona item number. Then told him this is the same as someone selling you a $20 Rolex watch in a bathroom in New York City.
    It's a $60 up to $200 now because some fool thinks they are getting a real Gibson. I'm surprised Gibson has not stepped in on this one. Talk about ruining your reputation over $60.

I've reported it to eBay twice and it's still there, what a pathetic organisation to allow fraudulent listings.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Pathetic is a little harsh. There are millions of listings on ebay at any one time. They can't possibly stay on top of every $60 auction some dude emails them about. Fraud is also a very serious allegation as it implies the seller knows his instrument is a phony, which I don't think he does. We often forget here that 99% of people in the world don't know the difference between a mandolin and a ukulele. The bidders on this auction share part of the responsibility too.

Well, he knows it's a phony now ... he's had it explained to him by several knowledgeable people. Leaving the auction up could be construed as attempted fraud.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Yeah, he knows.

Up to $305.00 now. The high bidder has 4 bids. I hope it's someone who knows what it is and has no intention of paying.

Man, this guy isn't even inlaying pearl, just a decal and a sticker. Talk about lazy.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I posted a guide on eBay about these fakes. Maybe somebody will be spared from spending good money on a $75.00 mandolin.

Well, he knows it's a phony now ... he's had it explained to him by several knowledgeable people.
    When I've sold instruments on ebay, I've often received belligerent messages from folks who considered themselves quite knowledgeable accusing me of all sorts of misdeeds. That's just par for the course. This clown thinks HE's the knowledgeable one, and a couple nasty emails aren't going to change his mind.

I wonder what eBay would do if you could prove an item was fake and you only bid on it to protect the less informed?
    They suspend your account for a couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by (Eric F. @ Aug. 06 2008, 20:53)
    I wonder what eBay would do if you could prove an item was fake and you only bid on it to protect the less informed?
    They suspend your account for a couple of weeks.
    No good deed goes unpunished.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

The vendor knows it's a fake and ebay know it's a fake because it's been reported several times and yet it's still there, this just confirms ebays poor reputation on fake and counterfeit goods.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Somebody with zero feedback won for $650. I e-mailed a warning to the winner, but I'm guessing it's someone from here who opened a new eBay account just to hose this auction ... anyone want to own up?

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I emailed to ask if he only bought it to expose the counterfeiter. What do you say to someone when you know they overpaid for a fake item?

Two bidders went back and forth from $250 up to $650!! Oh dear. #I hope the scammer was scammed, but I have my doubts...

I've been in touch with the dude, and this was not a scam-the-scammer operation. It's a first-time eBayer getting scammed. And unfortunately he's already paid. I've told him to call Gibson and talk to someone at OAI. Maybe I can get him to post here and put him in touch with David Harvey.

Oh no! He needs to file a report with eBay and call PayPal and cancel the payment.

Quote Originally Posted by (mrmando @ Aug. 07 2008, 18:10)
    It's a first-time eBayer getting scammed. And unfortunately he's already paid.
    wow, you think he would have at least Googled "Gibson A4" to see if this remotely resembled one (which anyone could tell it doesn't). I guess some people don't research things before they plop down the dough.
    Wes
    "i gotta fever...and the only prescription is more cowbell!!"

'87 Flatiron A5-JR/'25 Gibson A-JR

I swore because of the 0% feedback that it was one of you guys opening a new account. I emailed him and likened him to a soldier jumping on a live grenade. Poor guy.

Wow, that's a shame. Buyer beware.

The vendor knows it's a fake and ebay know it's a fake because it's been reported several times...
    From ebay's point of view, it's your word against his. He's a Power Seller with good feedback, you're some dude. They don't "know it's a fake" just because you said so. Obviously they should have stopped the auction, but I can understand their hesitation to shut down every auction they receive complaints about (read: most of them).