Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One pick?

I have been useing one pick that got I got from Greg Boyd over three years ago. I have tried others, but this one does it for me. Who else has been useing one pick on the same mandolin ?

Is this a need for approval?, [or boredom]

I stick one pick under the strings when I'm not holding it in my hand, and Use it repeatedly with that mandolin.
    I have some of the same ('dawg') picks that I got 20 + years ago, some others I've had for 40.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I've been using my Bluechip pick for almost 4 months now, and that's a big deal for me considering that I constantly change picks.

I'm with mandroid - one pick under the strings when it's not in my hand. Currently it's a Wegen TF-140. It's definitely my favorite pick and produces the best tone of all that I've tried, however I've wanted to try a Wegen Trimus 250. I used to like the 1 mm picks, and now 1.4 isn't think enough.
    '08 Weber Fern 'Old Wood' Red Spruce

Blog Entries

I have a bowl on my bookshelf where I keep them. #I have a collection of Dawg, Dawg II, Proplecs, Golden Gates, Dunlops, Martin Heavy/Meds, and some Wegens. #Different mandos/strings seem to like different pics.

Jamie

EDIT: In my experience, pics are the cheapest way to change your tone (aside from attack technique which is free after lessons ).

There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Tone Monster: Ive been doing the same thing! I got a Ivoroid rounded pick from Greg Boyd and have used it for Mandolin and Guitar for over 3 years. I just ordered some V-Picks out of total impulse so we will see how they stack up.
    "Because of you I close my eyes each time I yodel"

Pro plec from Jazzmando for me. I keep one under the armrest on the Mid Missouri and one under the fretboard extesion on the Mandolin bnajo

I use the same kind of pick, but I tend to wear just one out.

I lose picks like the gubbament spends money

btw I like the Dunlop 208s....I drill holes in them with a dremel for grip. Anybody else use them? I've tried lots of others but I like the tone and chop of the 208. Anybody else use them?

Quote Originally Posted by (mandroid @ Aug. 01 2008, 16:54)
    Is this a need for approval?, [or boredom]
    No

Quote Originally Posted by (F5GRun @ Aug. 01 2008, 17:07)
    Tone Monster: Ive been doing the same thing! I got a Ivoroid rounded pick from Greg Boyd and have used it for Mandolin and Guitar for over 3 years. I just ordered some V-Picks out of total impulse so we will see how they stack up.
    Keep me posted, and we seem have same favorite ablum too.

I am still tormenting myself by going from .78 to 1.5mm in thickness. I like the Tortis and Fender(Heavy) brands. I am slowly narrowing it down to 5-6 types and shapes.

I just cannot bring myself to spending alot of money on something I could lose or someone could easily liberate from me.

Weagle

F-style Apostate

My one and only is a ProPlec that I cut down to the size of a Fender 358 and then put speed bevels on.

Well, I've actually got two that I made, but they're identical and interchangeable.

Rick

Custom Wegen M130 lefty bevel for my JBovier, just seems right no matter what strings I use.
    Jason

Lefty JBovier F5 Tradition, Lefty Mid-Mo M1

I've stayed with one tortoise for a couple of years now, but I keep losing mandolins!

Georgetown Indiana, Across the creek from Louisville KY.

White Wegen for three years, before that a Black Wegen for three years. My guitar player has a different pick everytime he plays. Usually because he has lost it.
    Poe#5, Neely#72, Kentucky KM 150 (The Bagram Beater)
    http://WWW.myspace.com/easternskybluegrass
    http://www.myspace.com/darrintissandier

Blog Entries

Warning: bad puns follow!

When I want that cool jazz sound, my IcePick® is the only choice. They're a bit slippery, though.

When I want that bluegrass bark, my ToothPick® provides that extra bite#(looks a bit like a canine, not at all like a molar).

When I'm out by the pool, stream or beach, my WaterPick® provides that fluid tone (and it's water resistant, to boot).

When I want the ultimate in shredding tone, of course, I choose my PickAxe® (with patented Flying Vee shape - produces twice the sound!).

Last, but far from least, when I'm really obsessing about getting just the right tone, I reach for my NitPick®.

I use whatever is handy, but stay away from large triangles, super thick and super thin picks.

I've been a fan of the Jazz Mando picks since I tried 'em. Before that it was Golden Gates. I can't use one, gotta have several scattered 'round.

I have a older purple dunlop that i use all the time bluechip didn't hold a candle to it.

once upon a time, drmole Joel Spaulding's Avatar
    not too far from Rosine; formerly and always a Yankee Highlander from Vermont

QUOTE: I have a older purple dunlop that i use all the time bluechip didn't hold a candle to it.

I'm using a purple Dunlop 2mm standard shaped pick right now - along with a collection of JazzMando Proplec 1.5 (keep one with each instrument. I just ordered a Wegen 150 off the classifieds - should be here by tomorrow.

Morristown - how thick is the Dunlop you use? Did you really not care for the BlueChip? Which Bluechip? Just curious - I was thinking of getting a Bluechip and still may, but I'll give the Wegen a try first.

Have to say the 2mm Dunlop would be perfect for me if it were the same shape as a Proplec.

So to answer ToneMonster: Not really.

My dunlop is 2mm standard and compared to midsized bluechip i just got better all around results.

once upon a time, drmole Joel Spaulding's Avatar
    not too far from Rosine; formerly and always a Yankee Highlander from Vermont

Cool - Thanks. Sounds like the same 2mm I use.

I must have a couple of dozen pick of all sorts,thicknesses,shapes etc.that i've tried over the last 2.1/2 years,but i haven't found any to give me the best sound from my Webers,other than Weber's own picks. They aren't any thicker than a couple of others i have & the material looks similar,but they are quite stiff for a corresponding thickness & i think that's what works the magic.As new they have a rather sharpish point,which i round off slightly to cut down on the 'brightness',then they're terrific,
    Saska
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

My one pick is a cheap Fender heavy guage pick I've been using. I get the best sound from it. One night at my cousins house we were playing and having a few drinks. I stoped to light a smoke and got the pick too close to the lighter and the tip of the pick cought on fire like it was soaked in gasoline. I quickly blew it out, scraped the scorched plactic off and kept playing.

Who knew those things were that flamable?

Russ
    Always remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Blog Entries

I only use one at a time. I tried holding another one and switching during the solo, but it was too wierd.