Thread: Collings oval hole mt2

I've been on kind of a Collings binge lately. Last week I got a used MT2v in trade. This week I could not stand to look at the pictures of the blacktop MT2 oval hole that arrived at Acoustic Music Works, so..........this morning it arrived via UPS. I opened it up. Took it out. First strum. Sounded like the church bells from the church around the corner.

I've owned a lot of oval hole A style mandos (including some snakeheads), but this is by far the most comfortable to play and the most toneful. The wide nut is great for open chording and this has the biggest bottom end that I have heard from a new instrument in ..........like never.

The adirondack top needs opening up of course, but after some playing this thing really sings. The trebles get fatter and the E string sings and the low notes are just soooooo fat. These mandos love to be played and as my MT2v exhibits if you play the dickens out of these they will return the effort in spades.

Obviously, this is not a bluegrass machine, but it is quite loud for an oval hole and is perfect for old time, celtic, jazz, and choro- at least to my ears. it has that signature Collings tone matched with the tubby sound of the Gibson's thrown in for good measure.

The neck is a very comfortable shape, the one piece back is gorgeous and the fit and finish, well, it's a Collings!

So, I have to say, I am pleasantly pleased and am looking forward to spending some time breaking this in.

now for all those looking for pics, I'll cheat and use Steve's

http://www.acousticmusicworks.com/MTO1675.html
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Wow! I think you picked the right color for that mando. I have always loved the Collings blacktops, but it looks amazing on the oval! I wish I could haave some more Collings instruments . I plyed a broken in Mf gloss top at Greyfox that was really great. I mention it because I had only played a couple of new Mfs in stores and prefered my mt. So I see what you mean about them really breaking in.

nice choice...makes me want something similar...
    www.bigdrawbluegrass.com

Voight A-5
    Bayard GBOM

Congrats, luv them Collings.

Cheez....I start feeling all lightheaded and funny inside if I look at those pictures too long. Could it be love?

it's actually four times as lovely in person...........and as i continue to torture it with my playing the tone gets rounder and the sound gets louder.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

How much do they go for, and are they planning on making many, if you know?
    Dave

Very beautiful! The black top looks stunning.

Oval-hole A-styles are floating my boat at the moment (I'm waiting for a Pomeroy).

It's nice to see the Collings ovals starting to filter through to Cafe members. Enjoy it.

Brendan

they are making them from what i understand, and there are quite a few dealers that have them, so if you want one, i'd say go for it. #i believe the dealers who have them have the prices listed. #they are a few hundred over what an MT2 will cost you. #(not sure we are allowed price discussion here). #

The Music Emporium has 2, Acoustic Music Works has 1 and one on order (i believe steve told me this one was going to be engelmann topped). #Acoustic Vibes has one, Gryphon has one........this was when i looked last..............also AcousticMusic.org has a blonde one.

many of the ones that i have seen have one piece backs, as does mine. #they have pulled all the stops on these.

Oh doctor. That's awesome. Congrats!

I want one.

MAS get thee out of me!
    Mike Snyder

here you go, another blacktop one ready to go

http://www.themandolinstore.com/Scri...idproduct=8562

Steve Davis

I should really be practicing instead of sitting in front of the computer.

Thanks for the info mandobar (and Steve Davis)

Yes, I thinkl I would like to check these out. Couple of questions if anyone knows: flat or radius fret boards, flat or carved top and back?

Dave

I spent some time with the oval hole at Fiddler's Green and I wouldn't think twice about getting it if I had the money.
    From my initial impression and observation I found that the necks have a radius (pretty sure). Carved top, carved back. Additionally, the neck is slightly wider and it also seemed that there was less of a V in the neck. I'm not sure if that was just my imagination but it did seem chunkier. Personally, I liked the feel of the neck. The body appeared slightly shorter than the MT-2 and the bridge was placed smack in the middle.
    The sound - if anyone is curious - was amazing. I can't imagine what will happen when these mandos open up some. It was a very large sound and a very round sound. The bottom end was full, the top end crisp with the tone knob rolled back, so to speak. It had a very Collings'ish balance to it as well. Also, it wasn't tubby at all IMO.

radius fretboard and carved back (don't think bill would have it any other way!)

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

Mary,

Heartiest congratulations, and I'm delighted to read how happy you are with your new Collings!

You wrote, " The wide nut is great for open chording ..."

Did you order the wide nut option, or is this the stock width you're praising?

Thanks,

stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    http://cdbaby.com/Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers1
    There Was A Time
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers2

i believe the wider nut is standard on these.