Thread: Tabledit

Can anyone give me the rundown on this software? What do you use it for and how do like it? I see that there is large database of tunes on Mandozine in this format which has me interested in it. Does it play the tab as it goes by? Thanks!

Download it and find out. It takes no more than 5 minutes to download the viever and zip files for free.

Ok. Will do.

Quote Originally Posted by (Ctone @ Aug. 07 2008, 13:28)
    Can anyone give me the rundown on this software? #What do you use it for and how do like it? #I see that there is large database of tunes on Mandozine in this format which has me interested in it. Does it play the tab as it goes by? Thanks!
    Yes, it plays the tune at any speed and in numerous instruments. It is very cool.
    The "player" or free version doesn't allow you to alter and save the existing files, but the full player does, but it costs. I just use the free player, it really helps you learn tunes, especially those that you have not heard before.

I paid for the full version. I think it's worth it. With that and The Amazing Slowdowner or Audacity to slow MP3 and CD, the learner who relies on ear/tab has the full toolkit.

The single best thing about computers, to me, is their usefulness as a learning aid for music.

I also got the full version. I think it's workth it. I've found the customer service to be pretty good. I use it a lot. There is so many tunes on the web in midi, abc, and tef that you can pull into it, play them and change them around if you need to. Like flattop, I use it alongside a slow-down program (in my case, Transcribe!), which does the wav/mp3 side of the equation. There are hardly any tunes I can't find, save and analyze for learning.

For you guys who have the full version of TabEdit - can you export the tab in text format? I got interested in this because of another thread on loading the tabs in my ipod, and I need the tabs in text form so I can paste them in the lyrics section of my tunes info.
    TEXANS!
    Song-a-Week group
    SKYPE me at 'grykat'

Tabledit is a great tool, and I have also used The Amazing Slowdowner, until I found out that QuickTime Player also slows the music down maintaining the pitch. Just go to "Window", then "A/V Controls". It also enables you to play video content maintaining the pitch, so you can rip your DVDs (especially training videos) to MP4, then play them in QuickTime as well. You can use "Handbrake" (www.handbrake.fr) to rip the DVDs to MP4. All these "tools" are free.

I liked the functionality of QuickTime so well I bought QuickTime Pro, which enables you to easily cut sections out of a video, like a riff you are working on and create a video short to work with to make it even easier.

There have been some great Tabledit transcribers, starting with Mike Stangland who put up several hundred tunes..... and many others who have carried the torch afterwards. It even says who did the transcription. This is an incredibly valuable resource. Wish it was around when I was coming up!

Quote Originally Posted by
    For you guys who have the full version of TabEdit - can you export the tab in text format?
    Yes, you can and it is very easy to do.

I think Tabledit is a great way to learn breaks and fiddle tunes. I don't use it as much any more. Now I tend to learn more by figuring out the key then figuring out the tune by ear.

I use it to learn new tunes by slowing the tempo down to where I can play along with the tab until my fingers get a feel for where they need to go. Then I start playing the tune in Tabledit while looking away from my monitor to work on memorizing the tune. Once I have it memorized at a slow tempo, then I start speeding it up and playing along until I can play at performance speeds (my performance speed may be different then some since I think a lot of players play too fast). If I crash and burn, I slow it back down a little and keep working on it.

If I find the right tunes in the tabledit files, I can usually learn a couple a week (don't always do that, but I have learned four new tunes lately and now am enjoying playing them).
    Steve B.
    Gibson F-9
    Epiphone MM30 (the beater)
    Trinity College OM