Thread: Is a new bridge and pickup a good idea?

I'm looking to make some modifications to my Mid-Mo M-11. One of the things I would like is an adjustable bridge. The one I have now is the original and is fine, but It would be nice to be able to adjust the action. Also, I'm considering getting some kind of pickup installed.

So my question is, would this be considered a goood upgrade for a Mid-Mo, or should I consider putting the money toward a mandolin that already has what I'm looking for, namely an adjustable bridge and pickup?
    Michael

Proud papa to three great kids, and two great mandolins.

1923 Gibson A3
    Dan Fobert custom long scale mandolin

Well, you've got good instrument that you can play for as long as you play. If you modify it so that it plays better for you and is more versatile in terms of amplification you've just made a good instrument better for less money than another instrument of comparable quality with similar features would cost. If there's a downside to doing that, I don't see it.
    Steve

I'm just wondering if it would be more like putting a top of the line stereo in a chevette. Perhaps it would be better to save for a better car that has a better stereo so to speak.

Michael

1923 Gibson A3

I would seriously consider why you feel you need an adjustable bridge. Have you had a problem with it? I have a non-adjustable on my flat-top. I have had it shimmed once, which cost less than a new bridge, and never had a problem since. If you do get an adjustable, I recommend getting one that is adjustable under tension.

As far as a pickup, Mid-Mo/Big Muddy uses McIntyre Feather pickups. I got to play Mike Dulak's personal M-4 though an amp and it sounded pretty good. I also think the K&K Twin Spot is a good choice.

Also, I would not consider a Mid-Mo to be a "Chevette." They are very good instruments, just not bluegrass instruments. I have always wanted an M-11, to "match" my Martin 000-15S, which is a great guitar, just not a bluegrass guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by (jflynnstl @ Aug. 07 2008, 10:28)
    I would seriously consider why you feel you need an adjustable bridge. Have you had a problem with it? I have a non-adjustable on my flat-top. I have had it shimmed once, which cost less than a new bridge, and never had a problem since. If you do get an adjustable, I recommend getting one that is adjustable under tension.

As far as a pickup, Mid-Mo/Big Muddy uses McIntyre Feather pickups. I got to play Mike Dulak's personal M-4 though an amp and it sounded pretty good. I also think the K&K Twin Spot is a good choice.

Also, I would not consider a Mid-Mo to be a "Chevette." They are very good instruments, just not bluegrass instruments. I have always wanted an M-11, to "match" my Martin 000-15S, which is a great guitar, just not a bluegrass guitar.
    I agree that a Mid-Mo is not comparable to a chevette. I just meant is as an analogy that it wouldn't be worth doing.

I love my Mid-Mo. Personally, I use it for bluegrass and celtic. I realize it's not a bluegrass mando, but it's the one I have and I like to play bluegrass.

I've heard that Schertler DYN-M pickups are one of the best. Is that correct?
    Michael

1923 Gibson A3

The purchase of a second bridge piece or material to make one , and a couple
    adjusting screw/thumbwheel sets will tell you if its practical, I'm unsure,
    due to not owning one how tall the bridge is and whether the hardware made for arched top mandolin bridges is too long.

would expect a slice of about 3/16~1/4" thick would be removed and whether the remaining upper section will be strong enough ..

nor whether a weber variation of their wedge based adjustment is offered to go on flat top instruments,

I do own a Schertler pickup, and will offer that its fine and the external one will be a good investment , as its removable , to share it on anything you own, present and future,

Now there are 3 types of soundboard contact microphone transducers ,
    corresponding to 3 types of mic mechanisms.

Dynamic (Schertler) Condenser (AKG C411) and a Ribbon between magnets (L.R.Baggs Radius)

I got a couple piezos installed, but, after getting the Schertler Dyn M, I need not have, in retrospect,
    so they could be considered as saving money if you look at it as several installations and pickup purchases not made, over the years ...

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Thanks everyone. I went to the local music store and played most of their mandolins with adjustable bridges. I guess I'm pretty satisfied with my current bridge, so it will be unnecessary.

However, the pickup is unnecessary.

Also, I have MAS for the first time because of my trip. It will be cured tonight when I buy a new bluegrass mandolin. My wife has given me the okay. I love that woman!
    Michael

1923 Gibson A3

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

I havve had some friends do mods to Mid-Mo's and they turned out quite well.

I've seen two Red Henry bridges added, and I've seen various nut materials retrofitted, including bone, ebony and pearl, and I've seen Allen tailpieces added also.

I haven't heard anyone who has modified their Mid-Mo say that it wasn't worth it.

stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    http://cdbaby.com/Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers1
    There Was A Time
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers2

Destroyer of Mandolins

If the other option is to save for a mandolin that has a built in pickup, that is, a true acoustic-electric that comes from the maker with pickup and preamp installed, know that the choices are rather limited. #The vast majority of mandolins are acoustics and folks either add external electronics or bore holes to put them inside. Or they have a custom made instrument with the electronics put in at the time of build.#Off the shelf, factory built AEs aren't nearly as common.

Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

As far as an adjustable bridge, I recently had my hands on a mid-mo with a bridge that needed replacing because it was too low. I made two more for it so that the owner could replace the bridge acording to the season. I suspect it was too low because of the change in humidity.

I considered making an adjustable as I had plenty of part on hand. There is just not enough room under the strings for a traditional looking, thumb wheel bridge. A Brekke style may work. I put a highly modified thumb wheel bridge on my flattop but I have more relief on the neck so it just fit.