Thread: Frank wakefield

Mandolin legend Frank Wakefield will make a rare appearance at Pickin’ In The Pasture bluegrass festival on Saturday, August 23rd in Lodi NY. Frank is a master musician and a major influence on mandolin players. He is very eclectic and is well known for the wide variety of musical styles he performs.

Wakefield began his career in the 1950’s playing hardcore traditional bluegrass with such icons as The Stanley Brothers, and Jimmy Martin. Frank’s long partnership with Red Allen in their famous band “The Kentuckians” gave us some of the best loved classic sounds from the early days of Bluegrass. Bill Monroe was quoted saying, “No one has come closer to my music than Frank Wakefield. He is powerful musician.”

In 1964, Frank became the mandolinist for the very popular Greenbriar Boys, lending his considerable instrumental and vocal abilities to their many successful albums and live performances. Frank also played lineups with Blues legends such as Son House, Lightnin' Hopkins, Yank Rachell, Bukka White.

During this period Frank also began to compose classical sonatas for the mandolin and arrange classical pieces for traditional bluegrass instruments. These efforts led him to guest appearances with New York Philharmonic conductor Leonard Bernstein in 1967, and a guest spot in 1968 with the Boston Pops Symphony Orchestra.

His success in the classical field notwithstanding, Frank continued to work with a host of Bluegrass artists throughout the late 1960’s.

Throughout the early 1970’s Frank Wakefield toured widely with the country-rock band New Riders Of The Purple Sage and multi-instrumentalist Jerry Garcia. He also opened shows for The Grateful Dead.

Frank Wakefield now fronts his own group, The Frank Wakefield Band that performs a wide range of material from throughout his amazing musical career. “Frank may play a traditional bluegrass standard, follow it with a classical sonata, break into a mariachi tune, then a Grateful Dead number”, says Andy Alexander the promoter of Pickin’ In the Pasture.

Frank is also an outstanding instructor who believes in passing on techniques to young people that he has acquired over a lifetime. His most famous pupil and close friend, David Grisman said about Frank, “He split the Bluegrass mandolin atom. Some of us, obviously, will never be the same again.” In addition to his two stage performances at Pickin’ In The Pasture, Frank will conduct an instructional workshop at the festival.

“Frank Wakefield is the most colorful character I can think of in bluegrass music”, commented Andy Alexander. “He is a contraire. Wake Frankfield backs talkwards and says bad when he means good. He refers to his fans as his “air conditioners”. Frank can get way out there both with his music and in a conversation, but one thing for sure, Frank Wakefield is a heck of a nice guy who really cares about his fans. He told me that he is planning on spending a lot of time at Pickin’ In The Pasture hanging out with the people.”

Frank Wakefield will perform his first set of music at 4:00 pm and his last set at 8:00 pm. Franks mandolin workshop is at 5:00 pm. For more information about Pickin’ In The Pasture and the lineup of other performers visit www.pickininthepasture.com or call (607) 582-6363.
    Pickin' In The Pasture
    world-class bluegrass
    August 21, 22, 23, and 24, 2008
    Lodi, NY
    www.pickininthepasture.com

This is one time I wished I lived in new york.

He made an appearance at Windgap this year as well. He held an entertaining workshop as well as did shows with his band and with Jessie McReynolds and Bobby Osborne as the Masters of the Mandolin. Frank is something that needs to be experienced. Here are some threads that discuss Frank and his mandolin as well as Frankisms. One should be totally prepared before they get to the show so that they can truly understand what they are experiencing.

"It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

All I can say is, if you get the chance to attend a Frank Wakefield workshop...take it!

I couldn't add a thing to what's been said about Frank except that he's one of the most gracious gentlemen that I've met.

I second that Hans, Great guy! Always interested in talking to people. If you chat him up, tell him the guy from Kalamazoo (loaned him a mando for Get up John at Kraftbrau) says "Bye Frank, sorry you were here, glad I saw you in NY"
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

Quote Originally Posted by (morristownmando @ Aug. 10 2008, 19:47)
    You mean, beautiful Central New York and the Finger Lakes region, right? Not as in New York, New York? Not that there isn't plenty of mando interest downstate but Pickin' in the Pasture is definitely a rural event, upstate NY at its finest.

Quote Originally Posted by (Hans @ Aug. 11 2008, 06:43)
    I couldn't add a thing to what's been said about Frank except that he's one of the most gracious gentlemen that I've met.
    Ditto Hans - he's as good as they come.
    keith madison

Quote Originally Posted by (swampstomper @ Aug. 12 2008, 07:59)
    Quote Originally Posted by (morristownmando @ Aug. 10 2008, 19:47)
    You mean, beautiful Central New York and the Finger Lakes region, right? Not as in New York, New York? Not that there isn't plenty of mando interest downstate but Pickin' in the Pasture is definitely a rural event, upstate NY at its finest.
    I mean i dont like living above the mason dixon line.

Don't miss it if you live around here. Two Frank Wakefield sets and a workshop in one day. Can't beat that... See y'all up there...
    Philip Halcomb

Those of you from the cafe attending Pickin' In The Pasture, be sure to stop by Johnny Mando's for a free adult beverage. He is usually camped about half way out Big Mon Blvd. Tell him Andy sent you.
    Pickin' In The Pasture
    world-class bluegrass
    Lodi, NY

Wish I could be there!
    Go Long, Mule

I think a better location for free beer and food is the Alexander residence located right within the festival stage area! Its closer than my site and has bathrooms too!
    Tell Andy and Susan that Ray sent you.
    See ya'll there.
    JD

Pickin' In The Pasture appreciates the use of the Gibson F5 Sam Bush model that Johnny Mando so graciously is providing for Frank to demonstrate his own mando voodoo techniques on as part of his workshop. I have some #100 grit sandpaper, and a pizza oven lined up. #John, what is your favorite color of rustoleum?

Pickin' In The Pasture
    world-class bluegrass
    Lodi, NY

I'd travel to see that...
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

I'm partial to red....I'll leave it up to Frank. Should provide great mojo and provenance for resale.
    What time is the sheep rodeo?

The sheep rodeo starts as soon as you get here John. We've got some wild and wooly ones this year!
    Pickin' In The Pasture
    world-class bluegrass
    Lodi, NY

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

So Andy, have you taken my suggestion and put together a set of sheep-related songs? Starting with "Who will shelter my sheep tonight"? And of course "Goin up Home to live in Lodi pastures". Moving into jazz you might try "Sheep to sheep" (ow! that pun even hurts me!).

For those that don't know Pickin' In The Pasture takes place on a working sheep farm. Actually Danny Paisley always sings "Who Will Shelter My Sheep Tonight" during one of his evening sets. There is a banjo player from VA that is willing to perform here for free just to be around the sheep. I won't mention his name but there is nothin' fancy about him.
    Pickin' In The Pasture
    world-class bluegrass
    Lodi, NY

Quote Originally Posted by (pasturepicker @ Aug. 19 2008, 09:28)
    I won't mention his name but there is nothin' fancy about him.
    Gosh, that's really a hard one to figure out, Nothin' Fancy you say?
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber