Thread: Rhythm learning tools

I'm looking for some good tabs or links for learning classic bluegrass and old-time rhythm playing on the mandolin. A lot of the tabs I see are for lead breaks, but I'd like to learn more on how to carry an entire song with just a mando.

The best advice anyone can give is to just play with the old recordings. if you listen to the Monroe brothers and (my favorite) Doc Watson and Bill Monroe, you can get ideas on how to play mando in duet situations. To carry the rhythm in bigger band situations with bluegrass, Tab won't really convey how to chop.

The best way to learn chopping is just to learn the chords and play along with albums. From there, jump in with some living breathing people.

I probably should have said that I'm not so much worried about the chop technique, maybe just more to learn a variety of classic chord progressions (and the favored voicings) that make up verse, chorus, and bridge.

Listen to how your favorite players play and see if you can figure out their voicings. Best ear training a person can buy...
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

If you have at least a passing interest in Jazz, the Jethro Burns Book has some nice exercises and voicings. Not traditional mind you, but still very useful. He even has a couple of exercises for "stock" progressions that are also common in old time and BG.

Other than that, listening to and watching the greats will help tremendousely, as Pete mentioned. Some things are hard to communicate in a book.
    Who am I and if yes, how many?

Of course you can get John McGanns Rythm DVD. Havenīt seen it, but it should be top!
    Who am I and if yes, how many?

I often back-up the fiddle with the mandolin and have some basic ideas to help you get started doing more than the basic chop.

send an email to ffpizza5@hotmail.com and in my reply i'll send you some Old-Time tunes with mandolin back-up. #tab and a midi example for tunes like: #
    soldier's joy
    fisher's hornpipe
    big sciota
    st anne's reel
    june apple

The tab will just be the back-up part the midi examples will include a melody line for referece. #i'm sure you'll have fun with the ideas.

Conrad

why not give us a few tunes that have elements you like in them. Maybe someone can post chord forms and progressions for you.

As for carrying the song with just mando, do you mean playing the song solo? It can be done ( I do it 1 to 2 times a month) but I don't think it's the mandolin's strongest application. If you mean leading the song (at a jam) that can be done fairly sucessfully.

www.musicpotential.com has a TON of country & pop songs with lyrics and nashville #'s to try different backup techniques. they also have a mandolin backup lesson.

for someone else to listen to for solo mandolin rhythm ideas, check out sam bushes stuff. I really like the backup he does.