Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New -the loars

"The Loar" Ho Hum.

Quote Originally Posted by (Mikey G @ Aug. 30 2008, 09:39)
    "The Loar" # Ho Hum.
    Come on, you can do better than that - expound a litle.
    keith madison

I had one played and sounded excellant. High flame back, sides, and neck. It was cool enough to trade for a Godin A8 even up. I'm a electric freak (hope I'm not to loud for some of you!)The Loar is worth the money they're asking. I compared it with a Eastman. Bought the Loar and had a little change in my pocket.
    mandolin 1st chair "I'm the best they have till someone else comes along"

I traded the Godin A8 and I'm quite happy with "The Loar". I don't play electric and I wanted another acoustic. It does play well and it has a nice solid woody chop. Not the loudest , but it can be heard very well. If you want to hear it or play it I'll be at the Appling Opry, Appling GA on the 2nd and 4th Saturdays @ 7 pm and it can speak for itself.
    Flatiron Performer F
    The Load LM-520
    Eastman 315
    Godin A8
    Ibanez 517

mrkrgr - Are you talking about a 600 series "The Loar"? Curious about them, they are the new, just arrived and I'm waiting to try one when it shows up in town here.

Clark

Clark Savage Turner
    Los Osos, CA.

Hey Mando Guys,
    I'm new to mandolin. Been playing guitar for 42 years and banjo for 4 1/2. I'm really getting into my used MM50 Epiphone but wanted to upgrade. I figured it would be a few years before I'd buy a higher end mandolin, but with the price of the 600's, this seems like a modest step up.

This will give me time to develope my chops before moving to the big leagues.
    Stan Robins

Its a LM-500 and I think that the top is pressed instead of carved. I have an Ibanez from the early 80's that is pressed, solid but pressed, and its a good sounding mandolin in great shape. I know that pressed tops aren't looked upon as great but they are still solid wood. I like the mandolin and I don't get all up in arms about specs they are all about the same. They have to play in tune, play easy and sound good. I realize its a 500 dollar mandolin and its sounds excellent considering the facts. It did need to be set up the bridge was out of place and the action was high, but with a little tweaking it plays in tune, easy, and sounds good.
    Flatiron Performer F
    The Load LM-520
    Eastman 315
    Godin A8
    Ibanez 517

mrkrgr thanks for Godin. I love this little thing, it's all I've used since you sent it to me. Mole

Your welcome Mole. You have renewed my interest in the mandolin again. I think what I have noticed about "The Loar" is its harder to play well than my Weber. The smaller frets make me be more precise. Sometimes when I Chop it barks nice and loud and other times it whimpers. I pretty sure its me, I've been playing way too much guitar.
    Flatiron Performer F
    The Load LM-520
    Eastman 315
    Godin A8
    Ibanez 517

Of note: #The new LM-600 uses larger fret wire. #It also has a thicker neck with a V to it.

Dave,

I really like the new Loar. These will be a serious contender in the price range. #A lot of new models come out, fall short of the hype and then fade away. I predict that this one is going to do well. #While the LM-600 has some big shoes to fill with that name on the headstock, if you put it up against sub $1000 mandos, it does more than just hold its own. #

Anyone who has played a LM-500, needs to erase that out of their mind when considering the 600. They have nothing in common. #The 600 even has an above average tailpiece. #It is a stamped two piece, but quite a bit nicer than what you typically see on imports.

Did I mention that I really like this model? hehe

Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Well, darn. My local dealer had said he was getting a 600 series in, I flew down when he told me he had it setup, I played it for a few minutes, it was OK, not a big deal, but then I noticed the inside tag said it was a 500 series. He says he'll try to get the newer series with his next order. Well, I don't really need another mandolin (famous last words.)

Clark
    Clark Savage Turner
    Los Osos, CA.

Quote Originally Posted by (Folkmusician.com @ Sep. 01 2008, 23:20)
    Of note: #The new LM-600 uses larger fret wire. #It also has a thicker neck with a V to it.

Dave,

I really like the new Loar. These will be a serious contender in the price range. #A lot of new models come out, fall short of the hype and then fade away. I predict that this one is going to do well. #While the LM-600 has some big shoes to fill with that name on the headstock, if you put it up against sub $1000 mandos, it does more than just hold its own. #

Anyone who has played a LM-500, needs to erase that out of their mind when considering the 600. They have nothing in common. #The 600 even has an above average tailpiece. #It is a stamped two piece, but quite a bit nicer than what you typically see on imports.

Did I mention that I really like this model? # #hehe

How do these compare to the new KM 1000' Kentucky' ?
    keith madison

Quote Originally Posted by (Kbone @ Sep. 06 2008, 11:44)
    No comparison at all. The KM1000 costs twice as much as the LM600.

Quote Originally Posted by (TomTyrrell @ Sep. 06 2008, 11:56)
    In tone and playability ?
    keith madison

I have a new LM-600-VS coming Wednesday from Robert at Folkmusician. It looks like a beautiful instrument and I feel some of you have given it good marks. I play a Martin HD-28 as my primary instrument, so I feel this will do me just fine as I tackle learning the mandolin in my free time now that I am retired. Thanks for all your comments and imput on this new mandolin and for directing me towards Robert at Folkmusician.
    David

The two LM-600s have been sold off. One of them went to David here. Hope you enjoy! Looking forward to hearing your opinion.

Hi Keith. I believe we spoke on the phone today.
    KM-1000 vs LM-600-vs...

This will be from memory as it has been a couple of months since I have had a KM-1000.

Playability:

This is mostly about the setup, which will vary depending on who you buy it from.

Of note. The KM-1000 mandolins have had tighter spacing on the courses than the two LM-600s I received.
    I should have taken measurements of the LM-600 neck. Anyway, it is a much thicker neck. Both have a nice V to them, but the KM-1000 does not have as much depth. The Frets on the LM-600 are larger.

The LM-600-VS responded well to action that is slightly higher than I tend to set them up. As I was bringing it down I noticed the tone
    thinning out, so I raised it back up a hair and made sure the nut came down as low as possible.

I didn't get much time with The Loar's and they were nowhere close to opening up. With just the little bit of playing while setting these up and testing I could hear them improving. The Loar's have great tone for this price point. Is it as good as the KM-1000? No. It may well be a better value though. I really think Greg and crew are on to something.

I plan to spend more time with one when the next batch comes in.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Quote Originally Posted by (Kbone @ Sep. 06 2008, 12:15)
    Quote Originally Posted by (TomTyrrell @ Sep. 06 2008, 11:56)
    In tone and playability ?
    It would be an interesting comparison...

KM1000 out of the box with a "normal" store setup compared to an LM600 with $750 worth of upgrades (bridge? tailpiece? nut?) and special setup/treatment (Voodoo and such things).

SteelBlue

Default Re: New -the loars

I'd been eye-balling these things from afar - magazines mostly - and wanted to get my hands on one to see if I liked it. Lo and behold, a friend bought himself one - and I was actually able to see it up close - and even pick it (..it gets even better - my friend had to do a bit of traveling over a couple of weeks and I jokingly offered to babysit it - and he left it with me!)

My impression: I'm sure there are differences between each individual instruments, but this one is well worth the $750 that bought it! As someone who, along with my dear old Dad, actually built a couple of F-5 style mandolins, I can appreciate the craftsmanship I see in this instrument. Though it may not be "perfect," the finish is far beyond what you'd expect from a mandolin in this price range - in fact, I've seen mandolins selling at four times this amount that didn't look as good. (This being said, the SOUND is where it's at anyway - minor imperfections simply give the instrument character...)

And speaking of the sound - at this price there is simply no competition. There are better instruments out there - just not at this price. It has a nice bark, it plays true, and it has good sustain. (Again, if I were to play another one it might not cut it for me - but this one does!)

I prefer to play before I buy. But, if I can't find one in a store that I can put my hands on, I just may order one on-line. I guess I need to get to looking - my friend's due back any day now...

Robert aka "SteelBlue"
    (...not "Robert" from previous post... )

I am a bass player (1st) and guitarist (2nd) who last month finally decided to tackle the mandolin. I live in northern N.J. and went to several places including mandolin brothers and larkstreetmusic to start the shopping experience. For a variety of reasons I settled on The Loar 500. I searched the web and the best deal I found was at Mandolin Hut. Their service was great as was the setup on the mandolin. I have several very nice archtop guitars and martins and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the 500. I has nice warm sound and can bark went asked. I like the action. I did consistently read and hear the 600 was a better instrument, and in fact, there were several available on the web with some minor finish issues that were being sold for less than the going rate. After a month of only playing the mandolin, I picked up one of my guitars and man oh man did that fretboard feel like an upside down super highway. Good luck.

<Comment removed by moderator, please limit items for sale to the classifieds>
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Aug-12-2009 at 11:17pm.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Whew.
    Last edited by Paul Hostetter; Aug-13-2009 at 12:03am.
    ph

º º º º º º º º º º º º º º º
    Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

I can't comment on the instrument itself, but I still have trouble with the name, even now I read posts here with some folk talking about their Loar. I remember that there was a fad a long time ago of some violins with Stradivarius on the label ( I think the small print said something like "in the style of" or some such). People would come into the music store with grandpa's Strad and be disappointed to be offered a $100 for it. I know The Loar is legit and all, but it just rubs me the wrong way. Not that it matters one way or the other, it's just me.

Well, my name's not "Robert" but I'll put in my two cents, since I bought the 600 a couple of months ago or so..........

Sound: Great and will get better
    Construction: Sound
    Workmanship: I'm seeing some very thin lines developing at the neck joint. scares me. Also
    don't like the poor job they did on the binding, in the scroll.

-Soupy1957
    Breedlove Crossover FF SB
    “The weather was so bad even my iPhone was shaking!”
    -SDC

i got my LM600 not long ago as well. i've not played a kentucky or an eastman, so i can't compare them ... but i'm delighted with the loar.

positive points:

- the sound keeps getting better: woody and resonate.

- large, deep "v" neck - very comfortable. tapered just enough at the sides to fit perfectly between thumb and forefinger and rest comfortably in the palm. necks on my other mandolins seem spindly by comparison.

- big, beefy scroll - grrr ... - looks terrific.

- gotoh tuners - standard issue with LM600 - seem to stay in tune longer than those on my other mandolins.

- surprise feature is the wider strap button - feels more secure.

negative points:

... when i find one, i'll let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    I can't comment on the instrument itself, but I still have trouble with the name, even now I read posts here with some folk talking about their Loar. I remember that there was a fad a long time ago of some violins with Stradivarius on the label ( I think the small print said something like "in the style of" or some such). People would come into the music store with grandpa's Strad and be disappointed to be offered a $100 for it. I know The Loar is legit and all, but it just rubs me the wrong way. Not that it matters one way or the other, it's just me.
    I agree, Mike. I'm not a raging tradionalist by any means and never payed much attention what was on the peghead of any instrument I've played or bought but it bothers me too for some reason.