Thread: Top 10 irish/celtic 101 standards?

For almost 2 years I've studied Bluegrass. Studied many fiddle and the Monroe Style. Just to change things up (and open my mandolin playing to different styles/scales) I thought I'd check out an Celtic/Irish jam near my home.

What are the top 10 (or 20) Irish/Celtic standards I need to know to jump into a Celtic Jam? I think I've heard of Swallow Tail Jig. Thanks!

Any standards on the Cafe's Celtic MP3 page?

This might help you if you are happy to buy on line - http://www.celt.com.au/austune.html
    Look for "Begged Borrowed and Stolen", third item on the list. The collection is widely used in Australian sessions. The book contains 98 tunes and it's well worth getting the 4 CDs also. Three CDs contain the 98 tunes played at a reduced speed to aid learning while CD 4 contains a mix of the tunes at normal speed combined as three tune sets.

I ordered mine on line and received it within a few days. The exchange rate is in your favour too.

I took a quick look at the Cafe MP3 page and the answer looks like no.

It's really difficult to cut a suggested list to 10, since there are several tune types (reels, jigs, hornpipes, polkas, etc.) that are commonly played.

You might try looking at the discussion and tune list areas of the site www.thesession.org. The whole site exists to help people learn session tunes and play with others. I'm sure there are threads on their discussions that talk about the most common session tunes, but the lists are long. There may be a way to search the tune section of the site to pull up the ones that the most people have added to their personal tunebooks.

I also suggest you go to the local session and just listen a time or two and ask people for the names of the tunes they play (at our sessions people tend not to state the tune names unless someone asks).

The whole rhythmic approach in Irish and Scottish music is much different than bluegrass. One of the least welcome types of participation would be to join in with a bluegrass-style chop. A lot of the tunes can be accompanied with standard major keys chords (I and V or I, IV and V), often in G or D, or mixolydian mode (Em and D, or Am and G or sometimes A major and G, depending on the tune).

Good luck.
    Jim

"I can afford the instrument--just not the divorce."

Hey lespaul_79,

There isn't really a magic top-ten or top-20 list of universal tunes for "Celtic" music. In fact, a lot of folks would argue that there's no such think as "Celtic" music per se. There are thousands of traditional Irish tunes, Scottish tunes, Cape Breton tunes, Quebecois tunes, Gallician tunes, and Breton tunes that all get lumped into the catchall "Celtic" moniker, but the sessions (or seisuns) typically revolve around one particular idiom. And the current local repertoires for all of those particular traditions vary tremendously from place to place. The current top-ten favorites in Galway might be entirely different for the current top-ten favorites in Boston or Seattle or Sydney or Hong Kong.

Around here (the S.F. Bay Area), there are opportunities to play all of those types of tunes in public and private settings, but it's generally expected that newcomers have spent a little time listening and getting to know the local repertoire and mastering the tunes before just leaping in.

"Swallowtail Jig" is an old chestnut, and a lot of folks are likely to play it, but I'd recommend doing a little research during your first visit to the local session to find out what people are playing. Take your ears, a notebook, and a tune sucker (digital or cassette recorder) and just try to absorb what's going on. Listen to the tunes, try to catch the names of them and jot them down. Ask if it's OK to record and do so. Introduce yourself when it's appropriate during a break and ask one of the regulars if there is a favorite list of tunes that are commonly played at the that session. Some local scenes have websites with tunes (and even sheet music or ABC notation) available. A lot of the standards of the Seattle scene, for example, are available in a nifty little book called Smoke Gets in Your Eyes, which is available online.

Once you have a good sense of what to learn for your local scene, finding sources for the tunes will be relatively easy. You will find a lot of resources at the The Session Website, and at other online resources.

Then go home and woodshed.

Good luck.

PK
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

I'd re-read pk's answer several times before showing up at a session (if you call it a jam, you'll just get blank stares), especially the part about listening. You'll notice it's a lot different from what I imagine a bluegrass jam is. For one thing, everybody plays the same tune (you call it a song, they'll roll their eyes. songs have words), usually three times, and then launches into another tune, again played three times. And they play at speeds you'll just shake your head at at first. There's no soloing in the middle of the set and nobody improvises. mandolins generally are used for melody since there's not really a backup piece to a session unless you're a piano or a guitar (the typical rhythm instruments, along with a bodhran -- a frame drum played sideways and with a two-headed stick). It's glorious music and fun to play, but each session has its own favorites and some won't play the old standards at all. I went to an intermediate session and spent two hours mostly holding my instrument in my lap because I didn't know the tunes, and I've been playing Irish music for six years and know a fair number of pieces.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

PK and rwgormley are giving you very good advice ... #I've played Irish fiddle (and nothing but that on fiddle) for 30+ years. # It is as they are saying at most sessions I've ever attended (some for many years). #Check out boards like The Session mentioned by PK for tunelists, but just remember tunes played vary greatly from area to area (and the tune versions - or settings as they're more properly known - themselves do as well). # There lots of ABC tunes out there if you do that stuff. # There's also a large collection of tunes recorded by Paddy O'Brien (accordion) that are definitely worth a listen if you really want to know what the tunes should sound like. # I don't read music, so tune transcriptions aren't worth much to me and I've heard alot of complaints about the more popular (i.e., generally available) collections over the years. #Just my opinion, but listening is really the best way to learn Irish music. # Listen all you can, have patience and enjoy it.

Speeds for tunes vary alot too, depending on the area as well as level of players. #Believe it or not, some of the best players actually play at a slower pace, varying the "melody" and the ornaments they use to accent the tune. # This is the Irish playing equivalent of improvising but it's nothing like jazz improvisation, for instance - players tend to stick much closer to the melody. The most notable exception would be the fiddle playing of one of Ireland's greatest - Tommie Potts (R.I.P).

Good luck with it - there are 1000s of tunes - beautiful tunes - from which to choose. # As rwgormley says, it is a glorious music. # I've occassionally seen mandolin players at sessions and usually they're quite good.

One final suggestion - don't sit next to the bodhran player ...:D

Sorry jamespv - your suggestions are great as well - you mentioned the Session first! One thing about tune titles - often you'll get a blank stare and a shrug of the shoulders if you ask for tune names ... And, of course, lots of tunes have multiple names with some tunes sharing the same names. Don't take offense if folks don't always answer - some of us are just getting older and have long ago forgotten what the tunes are called ...

See this thread for an earlier discussion:

http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin....t=50923

John Walsh's PDF file of common tunes is here:

http://www.ceolas.org/pub/tunes/tune...ssionTunes.pdf

Paul K's advice (above) is spot-on.

EdSherry

I think everyone has given good advice. I would add only a few things. First, aural acquisition is stressed in Celtic music, and many will learn the tunes on the fly at the session. Personally, I find this difficult at least because my mando is easily overpowered (especially on nights when there are nine fiddlers!). Second, it might be worthwhile to come in knowing one tune--any tune. At some point another musician may ask you what you know, and it serves as a way to introduce yourself.

Sooooooo are there any Standards at all? There's no Soldier's Joy, #Blackberry Blossom, Salt Creek of Celtic music? No Thrill is Gone, Stormy Monday, over played Pride and Joys?

I hear what everone is saying. Every town is different. I'll have to go down to the pub, have a beer, and LISTEN. And check out the websites/links above..... Thanks fellow Cafe chatters.

Fortunately or unfortunately, in my experience the "Top 10" list of bluegrass/old time tunes is much more homogeneous / uniform from place to place than is the "Top 10" Irish/Celtic equivalent -- which varies a lot from session to session. #Part of that is the nature of session playing, with three-tune sets quite common, as compared to the single-tune approach common in BG/OT.
    EdSherry

Interesting... Guess I gots a lot to learn.

One day (sooner than later) the bug will bite be and then I'll be obsessed just like the other chapters in my musical journey.

We had a visitor at our beginning session today and we asked him to choose a tune to play, something old and chestnutty, and he chose Boys of Blue Hill into Off to California. They're hornpipes and very well known by most Irish musicians -- so well known that a bunch of people won't even play them any more. But they're always nice to learn and fairly easy. Soldier's Joy is actually another hornpipe but it hasn't been played much at the sessions i've been in. Garrett Barry's is a nice jig that was showing up at a lot of sessions recently (along with Sligo Maid, a reel, but that's a tough one for a beginner). Lark in the Morning is another jig that a lot of people know. Just a couple suggestions ...
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

I think there are standard tunes that everybody knows. An advanced bluegrass circle may not play Soldier's Joy or Blackberry Blossom, but if you can't play Tall Timber at original speed, wait until you get a turn and people will not be puzzled by Soldier's Joy.

At intermediate to slow sessions, I would expect that a fairly similar set of tunes is likely to emerge in many areas. Here is a short list (right in the middle between your 10-20). Just like you are unlikely to hear soldier's joy/red haired boy/blackberry (or even Jerusalem Ridge) in an advanced bluegrass jam, those tunes are so well known that they are unlikely to be played in an advanced irish session. But if you get invited to start a set, any of those will assure that you aren't playing alone. In contrast to old-time or bluegrass, any single one (or two) tunes gets you less mileage, just because so many more tunes will be played in a similar amount of time. But there is a reason why these are classics and why it is worth your time learning them regardless of what you want to do.

Shortlist of classics for IRISH:

Hornpipes: Harvest Home, Boys of Bluehill, Fisher's
    Jigs: Road to Lisdoonvarna, Morrisons, Swallow's Tail, Connaughtman Rambles, Tripping Up Stairs,
    Slip Jigs: Butterfly
    Reels: Drowsy Maggie, Musical Priest, Silver Spear, Cooley's, Merry Blacksmith, Sligo Maid

Irish is the dominant style. The Scottish repertoire (which I play more) is very different, so is Cape Breton, even different forms (strathspey's rule).

If you are new to a style (any style), it usually is better to start finding an intermediate level group. Or even go to a slow session, you can learn tunes in real time there that probably reflect the local repertoire in the advanced sessions. Here is the website for the Los Angeles Slow Session, has sheet music as well and sound clips: http://www.ellwood.org/slow/

A few Scots tunes everybody knows:

Atholl Highlanders
    Jig of Slurs
    Paddy's Leather Breeches (all bagpipe jigs)
    The Headlands (by Ronnie Cooper) (Shetland march)
    The High Road to Linton
    The Mason's Apron
    The Barrowburn Reel (by Addy Harper) (all reels)
    Spootiskerry (Spoot of Skeery -Shetland reel, by Ian Burns I think)
    Orange and blue (Schottische)
    Stool of repentance (Jig)

Some Irish ones we sometimes get:
    The Banshee
    The Reconciliation
    The Kesh Jig
    Cooley's Reel
    Silver Spear
    The Rakes of Kildare
    Various O'Carolan (blind Irish harper) tunes- eg Planxty Irwin, Fanny Power, Sheebeg Sheemore.

That'll get you started. I'm sure you'll find them all on The Session website.
    David A. Gordon

Thanks again, ya'll. Very cool...

I wouldn't say that there are no standards, rather each session seems to have its own character ... and its own set of characters. I've been to many where the players are happy to play all the rollicking and sentimental tunes, others where very advanced players share tunes that they have learned on trips to specific regions of Ireland. Obviously, the latter were less inviting to new comers. One particular night, a few dominant musicians decided to play only double jigs in minor keys, effectively locking out the casual players.

However, if you want something everyone knows, something like Boys of Bluehill/Harvest Home or Off to California would serve you well.

Probably you mean irish only, but if Scottish, this is a list I'd suggest to people interested joining Scottish Fiddler's of LA. Regardless of your level as a musician, you need to start somewhere and giving people a list of 1000 or 5000 tunes is not very inviting. There is a hierarchy in tunes.

Essential Strathspeys: Banks of Spey, Braes of Mar, King George IV, Iron Man, Laird of Drumblair, Red Haired Girl of Tulloch, Warlocks

Essential Reels: Jenny Dang the Weaver, Brenda Stubbert, Far from Home, Spootiskerry, Willafjord (the last three make a good reel set), Soldier’s Joy, Sleep Soond Ida Moaning, Jack Broke the Prison Door, Mrs. MacLeod, Fairy Dance, Sleepy Maggie, De'il Amang the Tailors (High Road to Linton, Mason's Apron could be in that tier as well).

Essential Jigs: Stool of Repentence, Sailor's Wife,
    Atholl Highlanders (jig of slurs, Paddy's Leather Britches would be the next ones to add).

My list is only idiosyncratic in that I put in a few cross-over tunes: Soldier's Joy, Mrs. MacLeod (aka did you ever see the devil, Uncle Joe, and others), Deil among Tailors (aka Devil's Dream) are also old-time/bluegrass standards. Brenda Stubbert's and Atholl Highlanders are safe bets for Scottish, Irish, Cape Breton. You are unlikely to hear strathspeys in Irish sessions, but then, if Tommy Peoples plays the Skinner stratspeys.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....index=1

Airs are dreadful in sessions/jams - best played by one person. However, beginner jams will gravitate towards them because they are slow and easy: Ashokan Farewell, Lover's Waltz in American styles, Sheebag/Sheemore, Fanny Powers for Irish, McCrimmons for Scottish.

The more general issue that people posted is the variability in sessions/jams, but that is due to individuals and the social dynamics they create. The best musicians tend to drift towards more obscure material for the same reason that professional orchestras rather not do Beethoven again. That has nothing to do with irish, celtic per se, happens in old-time or bluegrass just as much. I still think that there is a common repertoire for each style that holds almost worldwide (just as every orchestra player worldwide has played Beethoven symphonies). A session may be seemingly uninviting for several reasons. The most common is that players are not too confident themselves and would actually be very welcoming to anybody who can lead through a few sets of standards or, in bluegrass, a Monroe/Flatt/Scruggs classic (but then, you have to build up to that level so you can lead comfortably). The second one that you have a group of strong players that avoid the standards if they lead (the Beethoven symphonies syndrome), but would be quite happy to play them if somebody else picks them. Most people want jams to be successful and grow, so learn the standards and you'll be welcome. Only occasionally jams/sessions may be uninviting because it is a group of friends swapping tunes and you wouldn't break into those unless you are very experienced, but those de facto closed sessions would also be less likely to be advertised. Has nothing to do with irish being different than bluegrass, it is individuals creating a certain social dynamic. Go to a jam/session and listen and you get a feel for what that group is like, but learn the standards first and you are prepared.

lespaul, you should really check out mel bay's mandolin sessions www.mandolinsessions.com . The beginning irish mandolin lessons are great and almost every lesson gives you a slow and up to speed MP3. I have learned some of my favorite tunes period from those articles. i especially like the virginia reel, it has replaced blackberry blossom and red haired boy as the first thing i play when picking up a mando.

There is a book/CD set, "121 Favorite Irish Session Tunes: Performed on Tinwhistle" by L.E. McCullough. Some session players consider it a basic reference work on Irish standards and just refer to it as "The 121." It may not be a perfect list, but I daresay that if you learned all 121, you would probably know 80% of the tunes that might get called in a session and parts of a lot more tunes (since there are phrases that tend to repeat themselves in Irish tunes). It has six CDs with it where each tunes is performed once slowly and then at speed. The music is in notation, no tab.

You might check out homespuntapes.com. I remember seeing a DVD or Book or CD directed at mandolin intended to teach a large repertoire of celtic (irish I believe) tunes. The sessions around my area are focused heavily on Irish.
    Rob G.
    Vermont