Page 56 of 87 FirstFirst ... 63152535455565758596081 ... LastLast
Results 1,376 to 1,400 of 2155

Thread: What's your new fiddle tune?

bass player gone mando

Default Re: What's your new fiddle tune?

Quote Originally Posted by woodwizard View Post
    My 63rd time around the sun today Life is good .... Practicing on Norman Blake tunes tonight to finish off a great day.
    Here's "Valley Head"

Very nice! My 63rd time around the sun will be be complete in July ... 1952 must have been a good year.
    Collings MT O
    Collings MF5 0
    Weber Gallatin Mandola
    Weber Bitterroot Mandola
    Weber Sage Octave

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chuck3 For This Useful Post:

I've been working on Brittany Haas' version of "Dry and Dusty," which Joe Walsh taught us this weekend out at the Canaan Institute.
    "When I heard what Socrates had done on the lyre, I wished indeed even [I had done] that...but certainly I labored hard in letters!" - Cicero, "Cato the Elder on Old Age"
    Weber Gallatin Mahogany F
    19th Century Ferrari(?) Bowlback
    Early 20th Century British Mandoline-Banjo & Deering Goodtime Tenor
    1960s Harmony Baritone Ukelele
    The Magic Fluke Flea Soprano Ukelele (in 5ths!)
    1910 German Stradivarius 1717 copy, unknown maker
    1890(?) German Stradivarius 1725 copy, G.A. Pfreztschner, maker

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoviol View Post
    I've been working on Brittany Haas' version of "Dry and Dusty," which Joe Walsh taught us this weekend out at the Canaan Institute.
    That is an spooky version. I like it.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by woodwizard View Post
    My 63rd time around the sun today Life is good
    Thx. I write down interesting phrases I hear or read into a songwriting ideas log I keep. Mind it or not I'll probably use part of that line in a song someday.

6. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

Lost my boots in transit terzinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoviol View Post
    Ok, hunted this down.

Gotta watch this.

1000 times.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to terzinator For This Useful Post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

we play, "Dry and Dusty" at our jams. I like that tune!

My duet buddy and I have worked up, "Alexander's Hornpipe." I like that tune too!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

I just discovered that one too. The one that got me working is a vid of Joe and Courtney Hartman doing Winder Slide into Julianne Johnson. JJ is an old fave, but I've never really learned Winder Slide. Makes a great medley the way they do it.
    Mitch Russell

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onassis For This Useful Post:

Love Winder Slide.

Now to work on JJ, which requires a smooth gear change (and which I rarely can summon).

Great vid, by the way. Thanks for that.

Still Picking and Sawing Jack Roberts's Avatar

I'm working on "American Rifle Team Hornpipe". The B part is played way up the neck.
    Ha, ha! keep time: how sour sweet music is,
    When time is broke and no proportion kept!
    --William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Roberts View Post
    I'm working on "American Rifle Team Hornpipe". The B part is played way up the neck.
    It's certainly possible there's a fiddle tune named as such, but my guess is that this is a pun I don't understand.

Just starting to work on one introduced at a recent jam - "Hunting the Buffalo", in A.
    Mitch Russell

Quote Originally Posted by terzinator View Post
    It's certainly possible there's a fiddle tune named as such, but my guess is that this is a pun I don't understand.
    Naw, I'm not clever enough to be punny.

It's on page 200 of Ryan's Mammoth. It is attributed to "E. Christie", most likely Edwin Pearce Christy of the original "Christy's Minstrels."
    --William Shakespeare

Blog Entries

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CD-Oxymorons.bmp 
Views:	247 
Size:	285.2 KB 
ID:	133185
    Quote Originally Posted by onassis View Post
    Just starting to work on one introduced at a recent jam - "Hunting the Buffalo", in A.
    There is a great version of that tune on this album. The mandolin and harmonica combination is amazing.

The entire staff
    funny....

18. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Currently working a nice tune by Brian Pickell called "Sour Grass & Granite...

Sandy

20. The following members say thank you to Sandy Beckler for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Beckler View Post

Sandy
    Excellent choice. That's one of my favorites to play. I love tunes like this that make good use of the vi chord, especially the vi-V-IV-I progression in the B part (which is also what I like about Jay Ungar's Haymaker's Hoedown, mentioned earlier in this thread). It's got a nice groove to it.

I notice that the version posted at Mandozine uses a slightly different chord progression (it includes an E9 in the B part) than the version I typically play which sticks with a Bm chord. Which do you prefer?

For some reason, my wife always refers to this tune as Sour Grapes and Granite, lol.

Naw, I'm not clever enough to be punny.

It's on page 200 of Ryan's Mammoth. It is attributed to "E. Christie", most likely Edwin Pearce Christy of the original "Christy's Minstrels."
    Ah, I thought it might be something like "I'm working on Colonel Sanders' Hornpipe. You have to cross the road to play the B part."

I'm here all week.

Referring to an earlier thread: I play Garfield's Hornpipe in Bb. One unexpected discovery is that it plays easier in Bb then in any transposition you care to attempt. By that, I mean that in Bb, the melody lands on a max number of open E and A strings.

I thought that the Garfield's ample use of open strings was quite curious at first. That is, until I started learning fiddle tunes in F, and found much the same thing. I'd call it a counterintuitive example of composers demonstrating savvy musical logic in choosing the keys they do.

Also, I don't see any way to play Garfield's well unless you include second position fingerings. This seems critical for the second phrase of the B part. A few of the phrases within this post-civil war tune obviously influence phrasing that later emerged, almost verbatim, in Scott Joplin rags.

It probably took me more hours of practice to get Garfield's fluidly into finger memory than any other tune I've learned except, perhaps (much later on my musical journey) Minnie Foster, which I play in F, as learned off a Kevin Burke CD. If you want to try something on mandolin that is both challenging and fun, try stringing together Oklahoma Redbird (C) into Minnie Foster (F) into Garfield's Hornpipe (Bb)
    Explore some of my published music here.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)

24. The following members say thank you to Jim Nollman for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Nollman View Post
    I'd call it a counterintuitive example of composers demonstrating savvy musical logic in choosing the keys they do.
    Hmmm. Very interesting. Or perhaps evidence that the key it is in in the tune collection might not be the original key it was "composed" in. If you make the assumption that a tune's "original" key is the one that is simplest, i.e. first position lots of open strings. That though, is a pure assumption.

I usually go with how the tune is written or how it is locally played. Obviously tunes sound different in different keys. Open strings can provide a drone or harmony, unplayed strings can sympathetically vibrate if the notes are right. So I have made the assumption that the "original" key was chosen for some deep musical reason. Though this is another assumption, really two assumptions one that the key is the original key, and two that the key was chosen in any sense.

The version in a collection and the locally played version usually are in the same key, though there are many exceptions to this too. Ross's Reel is in Ryan's in E but we locally play it in D, and I found out it is because someone in our musical community way back there transposed it to stop everyone's complaining.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    Excellent choice. That's one of my favorites to play. I love tunes like this that make good use of the vi chord, especially the vi-V-IV-I progression in the B part (which is also what I like about Jay Ungar's Haymaker's Hoedown, mentioned earlier in this thread). It's got a nice groove to it.

I notice that the version posted at Mandozine uses a slightly different chord progression (it includes an E9 in the B part) than the version I typically play which sticks with a Bm chord. Which do you prefer?

For some reason, my wife always refers to this tune as Sour Grapes and Granite, lol.
    Hey Tobin...the version I too enjoy, is from Vance Henry's site ( with a special thanks to Mike Parks aka Woodwizard on the Cafe ) Vance Henry's site has a number of nice tunes.
    Sour Grass & Granite apparently was written by Brian Pickell for a longtime musical companion who owns a farm near Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario...a neat little tune to be sure.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Nollman View Post
    Referring to an earlier thread: I play Garfield's Hornpipe in Bb. One unexpected discovery is that it plays easier in Bb then in any transposition you care to attempt. ....
    You are so right, Jim. There are lots of tune in Bb that really don't play as well in any other key unless you go to non-standard tunings.

What JeffD says about how things are played locally is true as well, but I notice alternate fiddle tunings at local jams (that aren't good for the mandolin) as well as different keys. I remember charging into "Garry Owen" once in Ventura and none of the guitarists showed any enthusiasm for it until the next guy in the circle started playing it in a different key!

President Garfield's Hornpipe is one of my favorites.
    --William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Beckler View Post

Sandy
    My wife and I played that tune at our wedding over 10 years ago now. I came down the isle playing it, then her. Then we both played it together.

Very cool Mike...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Black View Post
    My wife and I played that tune at our wedding over 10 years ago now. I came down the isle playing it, then her. Then we both played it together.

Blog Entries

none of the guitarists showed any enthusiasm for it until the next guy in the circle started playing it in a different key!
    Has happened to me a time or two.

The entire staff
    funny....

Monroe's Hornpipe

If someone could figure out how to add more hours to each day, that would be great.

Continuing this idea of the tunings we use (or settle on). It's interesting, Jeff, that you play Ross's Reel in D but the Ryan book has it in E. I don't play it in either D or E. I learned it straight off a Laura Risk CD in the key of F, and so I like to think that the tune makes a lot more "fingering sense" in F, than any other key. I can't quite imagine banging out that alternating string, double-time B part in anything but F, where the notes just roll off my instrument.

For the record, I recommend playing Ross's Reel in a set with another F reel: Bacheldor's Reel. Very classical sounding, more DeBussy, less Bill Monroe.

But truly, (and as every mandola player learns very quickly) who can really say what the correct key is for any tune? I think you might agree, Jack, that transposition is one of the crucial tools for making any tune into one's own. And maybe the optimal key for any tune, is merely the key that our brain has wired our fingers to perform that tune. Let me add the obvious caveat, that when you learn a tune in the "book" key, you have a good chance of playing it, immediately, with other players from anywhere in the world.

Except when you can't.

I occasionally play at my local Farmer's Market with an 85 year old old timer. He knows 400 or more tunes on concertina and prefers to choose all the tunes we play. But his concertina is not much more than a Rube Goldberg version of a blues harmonica. So EVERYTHING we play at the Farmer's Market is limited to D or A. One result is that I originally learned Calliope House in D, although I believe everybody else in the world plays it in E. What can I say? Works great in D.
    Explore some of my published music here.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)