Page 61 of 87 FirstFirst ... 113657585960616263646586 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 2155

Thread: What's your new fiddle tune?

Default Re: What's your new fiddle tune?

I recently transcribed this version of Wink the Other Eye, based on the Foghorn String Band example below. It is different from other traditional versions of the tune that I had played before, which never really caught my fancy. But I like the FSB version enough to work it into my standard repertoire. Good use of the vi chord, which I always appreciate.

I've attached PDF files below with tablature for both mandolin and mandola. The tune works great for both instruments, and it's a lot of fun!

Here's Foghorn String Band playing it (listen for Caleb's mandolin playing in unison behind the fiddle):

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wink the Other Eye - Mandolin.tef.pdf   Wink the Other Eye - Mandola.tef.pdf  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tobin For This Useful Post:

After a failed attempt to play "Fisher's Hornpipe" at reel speed, I searched the Mandolin Player's Pastime for a real hornpipe and found Rickett's. On the tenor banjo I played the triplet at the beginning alll picked, but on the mando, I cheated and played the second note as a hammer-on.

4. The following members say thank you to crisscross for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by crisscross View Post
    I played the triplet at the beginning alll picked, but on the mando, I cheated and played the second note as a hammer-on.
    If that's cheating, I didn't get the memo. I always play those introductory ascending triplets with a downstroke on the first note, a hammer-on at the second note, and an upstroke on the third note so that I can start the first full measure on a downstroke. I do the same thing with bow strokes on the fiddle, using a downbow slur for the first two notes and an upbow for the third note. If that's cheating, then I guess I'm a cheater, but I was under the impression it was correct form.

When you pick all three notes of the triplet on your tenor banjo, do you start on an upstroke? (It sounds good, whatever you're doing!)

do you start on an upstroke?
    I start the triplet with a downstroke and play the first eighth note of the new measure with an upstroke followed by another upstroke on the second eighth note. The relatively slow tempo of a hornpipe and the swing eights give you enough time to play two upstrokes in a row. I can do this trick up to about 170 bpm, if it gets faster, i'll have to cheat.Never got the hang of those fast Irish DUD DU triplets. I can do that in jigs, playing regular melody notes, but as an adornment in reels? No way!

Quote Originally Posted by tmsweeney View Post
    a little out of season but here's the Green Leaf Fancy on mandola and octave

Nice! I like that sound. I take it you're using one of those loop pedal thingies I've read about? Looks like fun! I started experimenting with multitrack stuff in Audacity but I can see advantages to the loop pedal for a more immediate sound. I might have to add that to my shopping list, I already plug in but I don't have any pedals yet (haven't got that far lol). Meanwhile I'm going to learn this tune, I hadn't heard of it before, I like the way you play it.

Quote Originally Posted by JL277z View Post
    Nice! I like that sound. I take it you're using one of those loop pedal thingies I've read about? Looks like fun! I started experimenting with multitrack stuff in Audacity but I can see advantages to the loop pedal for a more immediate sound. I might have to add that to my shopping list, I already plug in but I don't have any pedals yet (haven't got that far lol). Meanwhile I'm going to learn this tune, I hadn't heard of it before, I like the way you play it.
    Thanks - I use a BOSS RC20 - I don't think they are available anymore, it can do a loop and then you can add up to 11 layers over it, more sophisticated loops let you stop and start individual loops, so I am probably heading that way, was looking BOSS RC 300 or maybe Electro Harmonix. Not sure if Green Leaf Fancy is a traditional tune or a Norman Blake original, I play it a little faster than Rising Fawn String Ensemble, but my version is based on theirs. There is a TAB edit file out on Mandozine, but I play it more like Norman. Been really into the octave mandolin and mandola duets, a very dark rich texture. Glad you enjoyed it

9. The following members say thank you to tmsweeney for this post:

Sat down this morning, put O'Neill's up on the music stand, randomly opened it and spent some time learning Kitty's Rambles and Paddy in London. Pretty good tunes. Did the same thing last week with Ryan's Mammoth, and learned Yacht Club Reel. Gotta do the random thing more often.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Franc Homier Lieu View Post
    Sat down this morning, put O'Neill's up on the music stand, randomly opened it and spent some time learning Kitty's Rambles and Paddy in London. Pretty good tunes. Did the same thing last week with Ryan's Mammoth, and learned Yacht Club Reel. Gotta do the random thing more often.
    That is one of my favorite activities. Especially with Ryan's, or in the O'Carolan section of O'Neills.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Lost my boots in transit terzinator's Avatar

Fun version above of Rickett's Hornpipe by crisscross. I'm on it.

Here's a cool version, too.

(yeah, all banjer, but get a load of the variation/interlude at 1:25.)

Does anyone know of a good mandolin version of Daley's Reel?

Blog Entries

Daley's Reel in Bb is on my to-do list.
    There's a Bb version here on Cafe
    And an advanced(A. Steffy) tef version on mandozine.com in Bb.
    Then there's this: http://archive.mandolinsessions.com/jun07/Carr.pdf
    dunno how good the tabs are but I do like this:

Yeah, that's a nice one there, Mark. Thanks.

Default Walk Chalk Chicken With a Necktie On

I love crooked tunes by default, but occasionally there's one that's just so crooked and squirrelly that it becomes an obsession until I can get it under my belt. Walk Chalk Chicken With a Necktie On (or just Walk Chalk Chicken, if you prefer) is one of those tunes.

The original Melvin Wine recording from the Milliner-Koken Collection can be heard here, and a fine job he does of it. I have been playing this on my fiddle, not mandolin, and prefer to play it in AEAE tuning. But I've put it to simplified mandolin tab in the attached PDF (see below) if you want to see it for standard GDAE tuning. It works on mandolin.

The MK Collection doesn't give us bars/measures (they refused to do it), so I took the liberty of dividing it up in a way that makes sense to me. I've seen it written differently elsewhere, but I prefer the half-measures in locations that make it somewhat easy to follow the chord changes. The tune is played AAB (i.e. the A part repeats, the B part is only once through, and ends with pick-up notes to start over).

And speaking of chords, the MK Collection also refuses to give us chords since there's a lot of leeway and interpretation involved. I put the chords on it based on what I hear with some of the implied chords from this version below (which I just love). There are some very small differences in the fiddle notes from Melvin's original recording too, so I kind of compromised on my tablature. I would actually prefer not to play this with a guitar playing chords in the background; the clawhammer banjo is a perfect background for this with its implied chords.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Walk Chalk Chicken With a Necktie On.pdf  

Blog Entries

Default Re: Walk Chalk Chicken With a Necktie On

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post

The MK Collection doesn't give us bars/measures (they refused to do it),... the MK Collection also refuses to give us chords
    You get three old timey fiddlers you will get five opinions about how the bars should be broken up or what the chords should be.

MK does something else that I really like. While there is no time signature given, all the notes of one beat are connected by a beam or beams. So you can see at a glance how the notes fit the beat. Its becomes almost intuitive.

I really like it. It doesn't supplant listening, but notation was never meant to.

The entire staff
    funny....

Still Picking and Sawing Jack Roberts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    You get three old timey fiddlers you will get five opinions about how the bars should be broken up or what the chords should be.

MK does something else that I really like. While there is no time signature given, all the notes of one beat are connected by a beam or beams. So you can see at a glance how the notes fit the beat. Its becomes almost intuitive.

I really like it. It doesn't supplant listening, but notation was never meant to.
    Well, there's that, but MK is so hard to fold up and fit into the pick box of my mandolin case! And you need an industrial grade music stand to hold it!

In the mean time, I'm going to go to MK for Walk Chalk Chicken.
    Ha, ha! keep time: how sour sweet music is,
    When time is broke and no proportion kept!
    --William Shakespeare

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Roberts View Post
    Well, there's that, but MK is so hard to fold up and fit into the pick box of my mandolin case! And you need an industrial grade music stand to hold it!
    Yea its a big one.

The entire staff
    funny....

Currently I am playing Cattle in the Cain, the Sam Bush version found on Bluegrass Mandolin Extravaganza.
    I've only been playing mandolin for a year, so a straight SB lift has been a project, but I now manage to play it at 85% of the speed Sam plays it. Still have the occasional hiccup while playing, but the times I make it through completely makes me giddy like a little schoolgirl. Great tune!

Quote Originally Posted by Lowlands Blue View Post
    Currently I am playing Cattle in the Cain, the Sam Bush version found on Bluegrass Mandolin Extravaganza.
    That is one of my favorite pieces of recorded mandolin music of all time. There's a lifetime's worth of information in that short track, not to mention Del's spectacular backup! Kudos for learning it early on!

Thanks,
    Baron
    MandoLessons: Free Online Mandolin Lessons
    Velocipede: My Fiddle Tune Duo
    Old Time Mandolin: Solo Old Time Mandolin Album

It definitely improved my overall playing so far! At first when my teacher suggested it and played it to me, I thought this is way out of my range, but in about a month I had memorized all the parts and now I'm slowly speeding it up.
    I love how each part is a different variation of the first.

Now my teacher doesn't just give me the basic tunes anymore, but we pick more intricate versions. Going to start on Ricky Skaggs Walls of Time soon. The opening solo on that is fantastic!

Cheers!

I'm glad this thread floats to the top every couple of months, I'm now working Ricketts Hornpipe and studying walk chalk chicken

Natural Bridge Blues played on my 1918 A4
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

Blog Entries

Most recent is Morrison's Jig.
    1983 Flatiron 1N - Pancake/Army-Navy
    2011 Eastman MD-315 - F-style
    Rover RM-50B - A-style

2014 Satin Cherry, Gibson USA 120th Anniversary SGJ14
    Godin Guitars' Art & Lutherie "Spruce" 6-string dreadnought. Hand made in Canada.

I've been having a lot of fun lately with Arkansas Hoosier. It is in the Milliner-Koken collection, originally recorded from the fiddle playing of George Mert Reves. I prefer to play it on the fiddle at a medium tempo, and it works well on the mandolin too. I even have a rudimentary version I play on clawhammer banjo, though it's a bit tricky, depending on which tuning I use.

It's a three-part tune in the key of D. In listening to different YouTube versions of it, there seems to be a lot of variation (or confusion) regarding how many repetitions there should be in the A part and B part, though everyone seems to play the C part twice. There's also some difference in the chord choices, especially in the B part. I noticed that some YouTube versions get pretty awkward in that B part, as if they can't really decide what chord fits most appropriately. This is one of those tunes that isn't easily defined by chord structure, and tends to work best with just a fiddle playing the melody and a banjo filling in, without actual chords being played.

The version I like the best, and the one that I loosely based my transcription on (which is attached to this post) is from The Cliffhangers on their album On the Edge. It is played in a format of AAA-B-CC. With the A part being four measures each, the B part being a crooked 6 measures, and the C part being 8 measures. That awkward chord in the B part seems to work well with a flat VII chord (C major). I like it, anyway.

I tabbed it out for mandolin with the A part being written out three times separately for some slight variation between each repetition. So the first 12 measures in my PDF are the three repetitions of the A part. Then measures 13-18 are the B part, followed by the C part between the repeat signs.

I was tempted to end each phrase with a I-V-I chord progression, but it just doesn't have the same groove as a straight I chord. Anyway, here's the tab if you're interested. Obviously, this is just one interpretation of the tune. Play with it and see if you like a different interpretation better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Arkansas Hoosier.pdf  

Blog Entries

Rag Time Annie
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

Been practicing this version of "New Five Cents" It's probably not the version one would normally think of for that tune. Learned it from a Mike Black recording of him playing it. There's a cool 1959 field recording of Kentucky fiddler Isham Monday playing this tune if you want to check it out. This tune probably was written in 1914 when the new Buffalo Nickle came out. Tried to upload the mp3 but kept getting errors so I put my soundcloud link. sorry

Wisht I had a new five cents
    Wisht I had a dime
    Wisht I had a finger ring to give to that gal of mine
    Last edited by woodwizard; Jan-10-2016 at 7:18pm.
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

29. The following members say thank you to woodwizard for this post: